What diff is this?

TomS

Lifer
I removed a diff from an n/a box today, this diff spun both front wheels in the same direction when the car was jacked up, it knocked like hell when going around slow corners and would pull all over the road when going hard. This led me to believe it is either a welded diff or a lsd of some kind could anyone shed some light on this. been told by someone on uksc that it is a trd 2 way

155.jpg

151.jpg

149.jpg

152.jpg

Attachments

• 155.jpg
    155.jpg
    93 KB · Views: 0
  • 151.jpg
    151.jpg
    91 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
That doesn't look like any of the TRD LSD's I have ever seen before but that doesn't mean its not TRD. The 1.5way and 2way TRD LSD's are the same LSD, its how you configure the plates inside that determines whether its 1.5way or 2way

This is what any TRD LSD that I have ever seen looks like

13072010302-1.jpg

13072010304-1.jpg

AdamB

Member +
Quaiffe or cusco by the looks of it, although I think the quaiffes have a bigger planet gear housing.

dark_knight

Member +
too much juice

@jam: i'm guessing the non-turbo ones would work ok but not be able to take all the high-stress handling for too long..? i've always thought n/a boxes (and their affiliated components) are not as good at taking too much juice through them..?

aidan

Member +
if it was an lsd when both wheels are off the ground they should be able to spin opisite directions

TomS

Lifer
if it was an lsd when both wheels are off the ground they should be able to spin opisite directions

Correct me if i'm wrong but i think you may be a little confused there dude, from what i've been reading an lsd equipped box will spin both wheels in the same direction when off the ground not unless the diff is in bad shape where it'll act as an open diff again and spin the wheels in the opposite direction. A more foolproof method would be to launch hard from a standstill or rolling backwards if both wheels spin up equally leaving an "11" on the road then you have a diff if one wheel spins more than the other leaving a 1 then you have an open diff.

Ted

Member +
both wheels spin same direction with lsd. a 6 bolt lsd should fit an early gt turbo box(fitted ours and im 99.5% sure it was a gt box), but most are 8 bolt.

corofin12345

Member +
another crude way of checking if your box has an lsd is to park the car half on the grass on half on the road and light her up.. if it leaves rubber on the tar theres deffo a lsd and yes both wheels should also spin in the same direction..

aidan

Member +
well what i ment was that if there was somone on turning each wheel they should be able to turn independantly as generally they would unlock

weeJohn

Lifer
well what i ment was that if there was somone on turning each wheel they should be able to turn independantly as generally they would unlock

No mate, LSD diffs are configured to allow one wheel to turn slighlty slower than the other in the same direction before it locks up.

TomS

Lifer
Thanks for all the help, the diff is sitting in the shed at the moment waiting to be refitted to another n/a box, is there anything that should be changed prior to doing this like barings or will it be alright? (there seems to be a lot of play in the barings pictured)

What gear oil should i use, i've been told that royal purple will stop the knocking and general unpleasent feeling through the steering wheel, i find it hard to believe that oil would make such a difference. What i don't want to do is fit the diff and change the box only to find the car is still as much of a pig to drive as it was for the last 18 months