dark_knight

Member +
fellaz, i know lots of you have proli done several rebuilds in the past. some of you can even do it in their sleep.. :p so i was wondering, is there a checklist somewhere that i could look at..? planning on mine and just want to make sure i have everything before i touch the car.. can't afford too much down-time.

here's a draft list i was trying to make on a database. it may look incomplete because on my database i also have part numbers, quantities, costs etc. here, i've just listed the main items and YES, the list is STILL incomplete. just picking your brains..
mount, engine (belt-side, transmission, rear)
seal, crank
seal, plug-silo
belt, alternator & power steering
spark plugs
coolant
oil, engine & transmission
seal, cam cover
sealant, high-temp
rings, piston
bearing, thrust
gasket, head
gasket, thermostat
gasket, manifold-intake
gasket, manifold-exhaust
belt, timing
thermostat
skimming, head & block
seal, valve
bolt, head (ERP)
bearing, crank

poke

Member +
would be no harm to do oil stem seals mate and while you have the head off reseat the valves aswell if needed

dark_knight

Member +
ok. thanks. anything else that i may have missed..? also, i'm looking for advice or 'tricks of the trade' that could come in handy when i'll be doing this.. so any input will be much appreciated.. :D

AdamB

Member +
Tip: Take as much time as possible to get it right, if you need the car back on the road, check everything over and over again :)

The full Toyota 4EFTE gasket kit will include all of the main engine seals and gaskets you will need for the rebuild so no need to buy them separate :)
It is also great value for money.

A checklist is a great idea though for peace of mind.

Joz

dark_knight

Member +
yes Starletto_Joz, sadly though, i know not of any vendors locally who do the kits. most do individual items. i'll even be lucky to get everything listed.. :/

Rob H

Member +
I would fit a timing belt ideler pully, tensioner and the spring if ya rebuilding the engine would be silly not to and a set of head bolts would be a good idea too.

weeJohn

Lifer
A Toyota engine gasket kit has everything you will need and a few more, its a great buy for doing this. Engine mounts, belts (not timing) and thermostat can all easily be done after the rebuild so I would consider that in keeping the cost down. No point in fitting new rings if the block does not get rehoned and I would be looking at getting the engine clearances back to factory or its a waste of time.

Texx

Super Moderator
There's certain things you don't really want to buy until you've got the engine apart. If for example you buy piston rings or bearing shells and then later find a problem, you'll be stuck with parts that are then no good to you. Personally I would get an engine gasket kit, some decent RTV gasket sealant, set of head bolts, oil pump, water pump, timing belt kit and possibly a clutch, then strip the engine and go from there.

You can be almost certain the block and head will need to be refaced, the valves will probably need to be re-cut (will require new valve shims) and in most cases the exhaust valve guides will need replacing.

dark_knight

Member +
it appears i'll be starting this sooner than i had anticipated so i hope to remove the head and bottom end to inspect. wondering whether to pluck the engine out of the bay for ease of work. i'd like to at least do up a couple of the seals as the belt side and dizzy are now bleeding rather heavily.. :/
any more words of wisdom besides what Texx suggested..?

AdamB

Member +
It will be a lot easier if you remove the entire engine from the bay mate. Makes life a lot easier, plus if you get confused on which plugs go where there is a guide in the helpful section with pics of what plugs go where :)

elison

Member +
Remove the engine from the bay. Will give you much more room to work and inspect things. As Texx said traders should be able to sort you a overhaul gasket set. And a oil pump and water pump and timing belt kit would not be a bad idea while the engine is out. Like every pro says. If you do it once DO IT RIGHT

dark_knight

Member +
engine's out and being stripped. it's interesting how robust these motors are built. i'm literally wondering how it used to run with all the ailments it had.. :O