Oil going black almost instantly! Any body help?

jimglanza

Member +
Any body help, my engine oil goes black in colour almost instantly after an oil and filter change, Even flushed the engine through.

Stem seals, turbo oil seals, Any thoughts?

Greatly appreciated.

Rob H

Member +
If the engine is dirty inside it will take a good few oil changes to get it to the point that the oil stays clean for a long time. Its nothing to worry about.

jimglanza

Member +
Have always run good quality fully synthetic oil and its only been doing it for the last two oil changes, Before that the oil would stay like golden syrup in colour for months but now it seams after a few miles it will turn black instantly. Even after a full engine flush!

I was thinking about doing a compression test but im afraid of what i might find lol What pressure should i be getting/reading from a standard 4efte, i no not every engine is going to read the same but a ball park figure would be good? I no im going to be looking for one or more cylinder down in pressure.

Thanks.

jimglanza

Member +
I did a test a while back and got a 155psi on all four so fingers crossed its the same.

Any idea's on why the oil is going black so quickly other than what has been suggested?

Thanks

jimglanza

Member +
Right its been a while and i have been a bit slack with the compression test as i couldnt find my gauge and have been trying to get a day free to get round to doing it. But its been tested on a cold engine as its not really in a state to get up to temperature, no rad, inlet manifold or exhaust manifold.
The results stated earlier at 155psi accross all four where from my GT not glanza.

Glanza results- 1-178psi. 2-178psi. 3-178psi. 4-177/178psi.

Thoughts please?

Thanks, James.

jimglanza

Member +
Yeah thats what i thought apart from the oil going black all the time! its bloody annoying I was suspecting maybe stem seals or turbo oil seals but thought if i was to get a high compression reading then that might equal fluid in the cylinders eg maybe oil from the stem seals as it does puff a little smoke from time to time but nothing major, Also the head gasket is spot on ond no leaking of water or oil and none mixing.

Any ideas people?

Cheers,
James.

danb87

South East England Area Rep
it could just be down to the head 'coking'up...all the sooty shit from the combustion process...

also known as black death of engines.

take your rocker cover off mate, if theres thick slody sort of oil about then that will be why, my first gt engine had it until i did the head gasket an rebuilt it etc. was told its from a lack of oil changes/services over time

Paul_JJ

Member +
There is nothing to worry about, if it gets black then it does the job and clean your Engine! Google it if you don't believe me.

jimglanza

Member +
I have heard of (black death) under mainained engines lack of oil changes etc and have experienced this before but this is different.
About two years ago i noticed a crack in the cylinder head around an exhaust stud so the manifold would never seal, leak fumes and blow which got so annoying that i bought another cylinder head off a mate who has breaking a ep82 GT 115,000 km, long list of regular oil changes aroung every 5-6 months and when i lifted the cam cover it was a nice shiney silver no brown staining or sludge and the oil was nice and golden syrup coloured.
So i had taken it off keeping every thing in its place changed the stem seals (not sure if they wher genuine seals) and re-seated the valves back in the place they came out with just a fine paste.
Most starlet owners will know what i didnt back then, the early cylinder heads have a square water way on the inlet side and the later ones dont and the head i was going to be using did have the water way. So to get over this i attached my ep91 inlet manifold to a inlet gasket with the square hole so the water didnt piss out the back,
as the ep91 has its own cooling source via the pipes at the side near the temperature sender housing so does not need the water way. But will this effect the cooling of the cylinder head? Have heard of a few people doing this same thing and never encounter a problem! Just trying to think of every thing.
The head was fully checked over prior all this and since it was never boiled up and the head gasket was working fine on the old car and after checking over on a bench the head was spot on not warped, completely flat from corner to corner and all across so skiming was not needed.
It went on with new toyota gaket, strech bolts and torqued up correctly etc.
Was running fine for over a year no problems, oil staying a good golden colour from the time it was put in till the time it was taken out. Even the filter was clean!
But recently the oil goes black instantly after an oil change , not thick, not sludgy and no water is being used or mixing, just black in colour and the engine burns a little bit of oil ever so slighty not much at all though, not so that you would notice but where is coming from? stem seals, turbo oil seals?
Its a weird one!
Im thinking i might change the valve stem seals as i have a set of zisco stem seals and an over head valve spring compressor with air line adapter to fit the spark plug thread size, so might give that a go.
When i did the compression test i had a look under the cam cover and the oil is thin and black but the head itself is still super silver inside.

Thank you to every one for there imput and trying to help with this problem, greatly appreciated.

TheStarletGT

Member +
Does your car have a oil cooler, if so, drain that aswell cos its mixing old oil with new, thus creating black oil.

Like cordial diluted with water.

Skalabala

Member +
Take of your sump when you do the next oil change.
Also lake of the rocker cover and use cloth to soak up all the oil you can see.

I have always started the engine and give it a rev when the oil is drained. Most people feel it is not safe...

dark_knight

Member +
@ Skalabala; just curious mate, how long do you let the engine run dry after draining the oil..? i know engines don't cease immediately you run them without oil.. & of course i know you are not red-lining it when you start up..