Oil going black almost instantly! Any body help?

jimglanza

Member +
Car has no oil cooler and the sump has been off cleaned and re-sealed, also when i gave it and oil change i had taken the rocker cover off and wasted over a litre of oil in the engine just trying to push the dirty oil through. When i get a chance i am going to replace the stem seals i think, i cant see any oil round the valves with the exhaust manifold off and cant really see from the inlet side but i have got a set from zisco so i guess its a process of elimination, Also i have nearly got enough funds for a hybrid so at least i can rule those two things out as some where its using the slightest amount of oil, and it being the colour black!

Thanks again guys.

Paul_JJ

Member +
Have a read here

http://www.texlube.com/oilmyths.htm

"Myth #2 - If the oil turns dark or black quickly, it's no good. You can tell the condition of oil by the look, smell or color of it. Dirty (black) motor oil means the oil is breaking down.
Fact: A common misconception is that high quality motor oil should come out of an engine looking clean at the time of an oil change. Nothing could be further from the truth. If the oil is doing its job of cleaning the engine, then it should be dirty when it is drained. Havoline motor oil will start looking dirty a short time after it is put to use. In the case of diesel engines, the oil will look dirty within a few hours of operation. These are signs that the motor oil is doing its job of keeping soot, dirt, and other combustion contaminants in suspension to be carried to the filter or removed from the crankcase when the oil is changed. Havoline motor oils have been formulated to hold these contaminants in suspension until they can be removed with an oil and filter change."

Skalabala

Member +
@ Skalabala; just curious mate, how long do you let the engine run dry after draining the oil..? i know engines don't cease immediately you run them without oil.. & of course i know you are not red-lining it when you start up..

About five seconds and rev two times to 3000rpm.

Paul_JJ buddy. good post :)
But his problem seems to have happen to quick?
And he has always used a good oil.

jimglanza

Member +
I was using 5w-30 fully synthetic and am currently using 5w-40 fully synthetic, castrol if i can afford it but somtimes miller, helix or comma.
As above Skalabala i think it may be happening to quickly for it to be engine cleansing, Its a funny one.

TheStarletGT

Member +
I have only 2 lasting theories:

1: Your turbo isnt water cooled and the turbo heat is cooking up the oil bigtime.

2: Your engine is overheating borderline, and stays overheated to a point were it does blow, but heating the oil bigtime.

Skalabala

Member +
I was using 5w-30 fully synthetic and am currently using 5w-40 fully synthetic, castrol if i can afford it but somtimes miller, helix or comma.
As above Skalabala i think it may be happening to quickly for it to be engine cleansing, Its a funny one.

But why would it be of the oil cleaning the engine if you have taken good care of it and oil never came out black before?
Maybe get a second compression test done, yours seem to be to good to be true?