special import law for small number plates/DVLA email with special rules and sizes

superspat

Member +
hi lads, had a letter throught the post about a notice to intended prosecution from going past a mobile speed camera, was going the speed limit so all good, but they are claiming that mu number plate is not comforming to regulations, so i emailed DVLA and asked them to comferm the law about this to me, they replyed the following

Dear Chris

Thank you for your email received on 23/2/12. Your email reference number is 858137.

The Road Vehicles ( Display of Registration Marks) (Amendment) regulations 2002 SI no. 2687 came into force in November 2002.

These amendment regulations introduce a new regulation 14A, making special provision in relation to the size and spacing of characters in the registration number of some imported vehicles. These regulations also include the display of motorcycle sizes for number plates on imported vehicles. The provision only applies to vehicles imported into the UK which do not have European Community Whole Vehicle Type Approval, and are so constructed, that the area available for the fixing of the registration plate precludes the display on the plate of a registration number in conformity with the requirements of regulation 14.

Also contained is an amendment to regulation 3, to prohibit the use of a number plate on which the background is patterned or textured, or gives that appearance.

Where a vehicle has been allocated a UK registration number, the number plate must comply with the specification and standards laid out in the Road Vehicles (Display of Registration Marks) Regulations 2001, as amended. Certain imported vehicles may be permitted to display numberplates with smaller characters if the vehicle does not have European Community Vehicle Type Approval and the vehicle's construction/design cannot accommodate standard size numberplates.

The dimensions for the smaller sized plate are:

• each character in the registration number must be 64mm high
the width of each character of the number, other than the letter 'I' and the figure '1' must be 44mm

• the width of every part of the stroke forming a character in a number must be 10mm
the spacing between any two characters within a group must be 10mm

• the vertical spacing between groups of characters must be 5mm

• the width of a margin between the number and the top and lateral sides of the numberplate must be not less than 5mm

• the space between the bottom of the number/character and the bottom of the plate must not be less than 13mm, but within that space, the space between the bottom of the number and the top of the name and postcode of the person the plate was supplied must not be less than 5mm.

Do not reply to this email. If you wish to contact us again about this response then please use our Reply Form or copy and paste the following URL in to your browser:

Regards

G Parslow

Customer Enquiries Group

DVLA

The original of this email was scanned for viruses by the Government Secure Intranet virus scanning service supplied by Cable&Wireless Worldwide in partnership with MessageLabs. (CCTM Certificate Number 2009/09/0052.) On leaving the GSi this email was certified virus free.
Communications via the GSi may be automatically logged, monitored and/or recorded for legal purposes.

so for every 1 with a number plate like mine that has the smaller lettering and gets a fine, ple not guilty and email DVLA and then show this in court to the judge, dont stand for it as the ploice dont have a clue about this special regulation and will clam they know best when they clearly dont

heres a pic of my plate that has the correct size lettering in both height and width and spacing
DSC_3654.jpg

hope this may be of help to some 1 else out there as not dout im the first that has had this happended to

superspat

Member +
no mate its not, a standard uk size plate is nealry as long as my intercooler core, jap plates dont need to square by law, the plate is no longer than 34cm long from end to end

mr2 rev3

Member +
Yeah i here what your saying buddy, but to me looking at the pics it does look like a uk plate cut down, but that might just be me. :slap: :haha:

Either way gutted for you matey. :(

superspat

Member +
will try and get a pic of standard uk plate next to it over the weekend,it was small enough to get a notice through the post from police.
not botherd going to take them to court and argue my case as its road legal sizes

superspat

Member +
It's the angled edges. Not being funny but how often have u seen octagon shaped plates.

i called teh plice up and it was becasue the mobiel speed camera couldnt read my plate from 300meters away or some crap, car was dirty at the time aswell and you couldnt tell it had been trimmed

starbuck

Member +
Make sure the plate has the proper markings as well. I'm pretty sure they must have a regulation mark on them. Someone correct me on that if I'm wrong....

BRITISH STANDARD

The British Standard sets out the physical characteristics on the number plate. This includes:

Visibility Strength Reflectivity

The British Standard also requires that a number plate must be marked with the following information: -

The British Standard Number (currently BS AU 145d) The name, trade mark, or other means of identification of the manufacturer or component supplier. (The company who actually make the number plate.) The name and postcode of the supplying outlet. (The 'supplying outlet' is taken to mean a company whose business consists wholly or partly of selling number plates.) A non-reflective border and the Euro-symbol with the national identification letters are optional additions. There shall be no other markings or material contained on the number plate.

starbuck

Member +
i called teh plice up and it was becasue the mobiel speed camera couldnt read my plate from 300meters away or some crap, car was dirty at the time aswell and you couldnt tell it had been trimmed

Crappy cameras then. Unless they're gonna have u for a dirty car.

GTwayne

Member +
Make sure the plate has the proper markings as well. I'm pretty sure they must have a regulation mark on them. Someone correct me on that if I'm wrong....

BRITISH STANDARD

The British Standard sets out the physical characteristics on the number plate. This includes:

Visibility Strength Reflectivity

The British Standard also requires that a number plate must be marked with the following information: -

The British Standard Number (currently BS AU 145d) The name, trade mark, or other means of identification of the manufacturer or component supplier. (The company who actually make the number plate.) The name and postcode of the supplying outlet. (The 'supplying outlet' is taken to mean a company whose business consists wholly or partly of selling number plates.) A non-reflective border and the Euro-symbol with the national identification letters are optional additions. There shall be no other markings or material contained on the number plate.

Correct, any plate must have that info on it.

its not road legal sizes mate, wheres the boarder? its not the right shape, the letters look to be too close to the sides of plate, and its at a angle that would give off glare. the car should not have passed a mot with a plate like that to start with. taking them to court will likly see you with a even bigger fine.

Lawrence

Member +
Mate my number plate is smaller than that, i just got the car, intended on changing it. Got pulled the other day was certain i was going get a ticket. The policeman pulled out his tape measure and regulation book and told me it was legal i couldnt beleive it to be honest. He said te characters were within the size and was all he was worried about.