What kind of power? Evo7 TD05 16g

A172

Member +
Thanks fellas.

Changed cam timing to 5E and it definitely brought down the lag a bit....will update soon with dyno figures and vids as it's sorted

Guye

Lifer
Thanks fellas.

Changed cam timing to 5E and it definitely brought down the lag a bit....will update soon with dyno figures and vids as it's sorted

Excellent work! It's very refreshing to see something a bit different.

i always suspected with full management one could use either timing mark and still probably achieve close to the same outcome
but i'm not sure if theory and reality will necessarily equate here----cams, valve overlap, ignition, set-ups, etc....there area lot of variables

A172

Member +
gorganl2000, yeah I read that thread....haydn28's my tuner and he's the one who suggested to change it. It definitely brings the boost in faster as initially I was barely getting any boost in 1st lol but now it comes in by 5000. Keep in mind this is still on the td04 map so still many changes to be made.

GP82

Member +
Excellent work! It's very refreshing to see something a bit different.

x2 Really good to see something different. Yeah it's a new setup so will require a bit of trial and error, but that will pay off when you perfect it through the testing stages. It will also show that a twin scroll turbine can be made to work on a 4E. Will be good to see the end result :cool:

A172

Member +
Certainly. The reason I chose an MHI turbo is because I was fed up of the TD04 crapping itself anytime I ran the boost upwards of 20psi for extensive periods of time. These units flow 24-25psi all day proven by the Evo boys. They're cheap down here (paid around 110 pounds for this unit) plus there are still options to upgrade with the Evo 9 turbo etc whenever I reach that point. The twin scroll definitely works good because I get 20psi on 3rd gear effortlessly from 5000 up atm.

Thanks for the input guys. :)

guys have been using evo turbos on starlets for quite a while.....seens a few in jamaica and even here in barbados....mhi are usually very reliable
its just the turbine housings seems to favour top end on our little engines
if one runs a higher rev limit 8000/8500rpm, then these turbos are into full stride

i suspect having a higher compression engine would help as well....i recall hearing of one or two local mitsubishi colts/lancers 1600cc which ran these evo turbos

grum-glanza

Member +
i've been using a td04L evo 2 or 3 not sure but has ran 1.5 bar all day long done trackdays it was starting to leak on the thrust bearing but still pulled strong up untill i took it off didn't want it blowing up on me i was told first day go with an evo turbo rather then a subaru td04 because they are a way stronger turbo im glad i did ...... savage work on the manifold ;)

A172

Member +
backend is 9.8

went to the dyno on Tuesday;

Made 250whp 194tq@ the wheels at 24psi

bunch of little problems showing up now so we've only just began

aXO3l.jpg

xtech

Fresh Recruit
Gave up on this?

See you made a post that you looking for a TD04 again an since you said you have lots of small problems with this new setup you just stop updating us
I understand you making same power you did before the TD05 swap?

5e colin

Member +
hey ther a172

wa kind of pipe bends did u use to make the manni

thats an awsome job u did on the home made manni

A172

Member +
Wow been a while since I've come in here, I should update

When I first dynoed with this turbo it was really laggy and the power wasn't all that great for the amount of boost it was pushing. It was found out that:

- had two big exhaust leaks before the turbo
- rings were worn considerably(no.1 cylinder was reading 90psi)
- seals in the turbo were going

Haven't done much with the car until recently. Since then I've:

- changed rings
- went from SV 1.2mm headgasket to 0.6mm TRD
- put on a tommi makinen 6.5 TD05 with the titanium wheel on the 9.8T backend
- changed back timing from 5E to 4E
- sorted out all leaks and minor issues

No surprise on a conservative tune with 93ron pump gas the car is now crazy quick, that annoying lag is gone and I've only been running 1.4bar. This turbo loves to live in 4th and 5th gear lol

Will update again when I dyno hopefully sometime soon.

Last edited:

A172

Member +
will do

I guess even with all those major problems the size of the turbo would always have a big punch on topend

the lag was just something I couldn't see as being normal, 6k rpm for full boost is just silly

just glad it's sorted and finally working good

5e colin

Member +
ha great mate its bean a year sinds my last reply ha ha better keep them updates coming now

i am building my own kit to now eventually :) will be vf and oem cat friendly

ere a quick peek :)

did u manage to weld good with stick welder and did the welds hold ????

A172

Member +
looking good bro

yeah never had to touch the manifold since it was bolted on, still there as the day it went on

644082_4912462058672_1717652373_n.jpg