Big problems with Competition clutch and/or gearbox - advice needed ASAP!

whats the outcome of this lads??bad clutch or bad rebuild on box??
was tinking of purchasing one of these clutches but if there not recomended wont be getting one.

Browner

Member +
Well ECC supplied and fitted it so I presume they fitted it within the suppliers guidelines. If not we have a problem

Fatman

Member +
Do competition clutches provide a release measurement? Often (good) aftermarket clutches, especially those with increased clamp loads and repositioned fulcrum points will give you the travel required at the pressure plate to fully disengage the clutch. Bizzarely, additional travel beyond the optimum will actually re-engage the clutch. Winding out the pedal could possibly be the last thing you should do to resolve 'dragging' issues (which is definitely the issue here, 1st gear being sticky is a perfect symptom)

You can measure your clutch release fork to determine the ratio of movement on the slave end VS on the release bearing end, then measure the travel of the slave pin once installed. This will tell you accurately how far your release bearing is pushing in on the pressure plate, aim to have this @ the manufacturers specs with the pedal near the bottom of its travel.

Stu-

Member +
I'd just sacrafice a few hours and drop the box and double check the clutch isn't fouling etc. Its worth finding out now whats wrong rather than finding out on the track where it could get embarrasing...

buckets

Member +
seems they shouldnt be sold who wants to be paying good money for hassle like that when theres other ones on the market that work fine

spuddy

Ulster Area Rep.
Aye adjusting the pedal right out isn't always the answer, I personally managed to push the release bearing off the pressure plate "fingers" and then had zero clutch control, basically I had too much leverage.

John@ECC

Lifer
I drove the car with out any problems when all the parts were fitted. Cannot comment on the current state as i havent seen the car since then.

Browner

Member +
Yes Dan ECC fitted all the parts... Gearbox, clutch, diff, engine etc. What John says above simply is not true as he drove the car with me in it and commented that it was hard to find 2nd gear and was notchy. I was told it was my short shifter, I removed this and the problem was the same. Before this, once my gearbox was rebuilt and fitted, the box started to whine badly and had to be fixed again by ECC. It's an absolute joke after spending so much money with ECC that I am still left with major problems like this and not even an offer of fixing the gearbox even after they were notified of the problem several times. Never again will I deal with ECC, I will be getting my work done by proper tuners in England!

Browner

Member +
And it's not only my high powered starlet that is having issues... They tested this clutch on Spuddys car too and it was a disaster. He hasn't said much on here but on Honda Haven he has said quite a bit, it is on a public forum for anyone who wants to check:

Spuddy wrote:

"I've not seen him drive either but I have had the gearchange issue with the same Clutch and it makes the car a pig to drive, was part of the reason I changed to dog engagement, no clutching required."

"Yea when we stripped it down, there had been too much throw on the fork, I had pushed one half of release bearing past the pressure plate fingers, was a pity cause hadn't started to fiddle with the settings that day. It's actually the same clutch as Browner is using, the reason I had so much throw was cuse it wouldn't disengage, causing the issue Browner has with his, but there are ways to drive with the issue until it is resolved."

It's a complete disgrace look at how many people are having issues with these clutches. I think they should be withdrawn from the market ad people refunded who have had big issues with them. It's not like they weren't expensive enough at the tie without all this hassle.

Browner

gedis

Member +
i had same isues aswell so fitted push rod from civic ek9 slave cylinder to mine which was a bit longer and sorted the problem, also i used old head bolt cut to required size for same reason before, its nearly easier than adjustin the clutch pedal

Browner

Member +
It's perhaps another option to try Gedis but it's a lot of hassle just to get it to work right. At the end of the day the clutch should fit and work perfect from day one like any other big name clutch kits. I've ran lots of different clutch kits in the past and never before has a clutch broke my heart like this one

Browner

Member +
Yeah they are great at taking your money at the beginning but the after sales service simply is not there in my opinion.