To much of a gap between Cruise cams and buckets

rwdstarlet

Member +
Doubt 4AGE would even be close mate.

jesus im in trouble then cos if 4age valves wont fill the gap, Then i doubt yaris buckets will cos the lenght of the 4efte valves are INTAKE: 93.60MM EXHAUST: 94.00MM and the 4age ones are INTAKE 99.60MM EXHAUST: 99.75MM so there is a 6mm lenght increase on the INTAKE and a 5.75mm increase on the exhaust (just found the 4efte valve specs and 4age specs there,haha) so id hope the gap wouldnt be bigger than that. if so then its the 4age valves AND the solid buckets il have to use. :( . Sound for da help lad.

rwdstarlet

Member +
rite one more thing lads the engine machine shop said the 4age valves should fill the gap, but they asked me to find out how will they bring the springs tension back up, cos with tthe longer valves the valve springs will lose tension, is it a case of fitting washers or is there something else they should do? thanks

weeJohn

Lifer
You would need to make spacers for the bottom of the springs, to raise them up off the head and keep the distance the same as they were before. But how come your valves are now 5-6mm short?

I am a bit confused here, have you fitted 4AGE valves into a 4EFTE head? I mean, are the stems the same diameter, do the spring retainers and collets fit the 4EFTE springs, are the heads of the valves the same diameter and sweep off the stem the same angle, and do they fit 4EFTE valve seats?

rwdstarlet

Member +
You would need to make spacers for the bottom of the springs, to raise them up off the head and keep the distance the same as they were before. But how come your valves are now 5-6mm short?

I am a bit confused here, have you fitted 4AGE valves into a 4EFTE head? I mean, are the stems the same diameter, do the spring retainers and collets fit the 4EFTE springs, are the heads of the valves the same diameter and sweep off the stem the same angle, and do they fit 4EFTE valve seats?

no the heads are bigger lad they need o be reseated to fit the 4efte head, the stems are the same size, i have a gap because the cruise cams arnt near the standard 4efte valves and buckets/shims so iv had to try get them to fit 4age valves cos there longer to bring the gap between the shim and cam back to normal, its all one big mess lad, nw i must wait for them to get back to me to tell me if tey can fit the 4age valves and if they can they want to know how will they get the tension back into the valve springs, so you think washers under the valve springs do you? :confused:

weeJohn

Lifer
Not washers, they would need to have a recess for the spring to sit on, and fit tightly around the guide top to stop the spring bouncing all over the place. Its a custom job, needs to look like a retainer but thicker and with a bigger hole in it.

To be honest, if it was me, I would fuck those Cruise cams out the back door for the dog to piss on. You could get a set of Tighe cams made up for what its going to cost to put this right. Plus they are shitty reground cams, not a patch on a billet set and for a 8500 rev limit, you dont want anything lacking in there.

rwdstarlet

Member +
Not washers, they would need to have a recess for the spring to sit on, and fit tightly around the guide top to stop the spring bouncing all over the place. Its a custom job, needs to look like a retainer but thicker and with a bigger hole in it.

To be honest, if it was me, I would fuck those Cruise cams out the back door for the dog to piss on. You could get a set of Tighe cams made up for what its going to cost to put this right. Plus they are shitty reground cams, not a patch on a billet set and for a 8500 rev limit, you dont want anything lacking in there.

im already to far in to fuck them away nw, its shit or bust nw, if the machine shop can do it il leave them, but if nt..... i dnt even know what.

AdamB

Member +

Read this thread from the beginning and can't agree with John more to be fair. For the price you pay for cruise cams, plus the ball ache of trying to get them in, Tighe billets aren't as expensive as you may think as I have been in contact with them before.
If your going to be rev'ing that high, you don't want any slack in the valvetrain, and this to me just seems like a right fanny to put right.

rwdstarlet

Member +
Read this thread from the beginning and can't agree with John more to be fair. For the price you pay for cruise cams, plus the ball ache of trying to get them in, Tighe billets aren't as expensive as you may think as I have been in contact with them before.
If your going to be rev'ing that high, you don't want any slack in the valvetrain, and this to me just seems like a right fanny to put right.

If you read it from the start then u would see that i already have the cams bought, already have the valve springs bought and already have the head at the machine shop,after getting 4efte valves reseated,cut,angled and nw there already n the process of fitting the 4age valves, its not about saving money its bout getting that head that i have dun, finished and out of the machine shop. i might seem snappy nw but sorry im asking for advice on the proper FITTING of valves, cams, im nt asking should i throw them away.

AdamB

Member +
I know what you have, but at the end of the day do you want a head that COULD be unreliable? Causing even more expense? You can still run billets with exactly the same setup, springs,retainers and whatever else you have, but since the cruise cams are regrinds and the base of the lobe has been machined off to give the extra lift, also causing the LCA to change.
Maybe it's not about saving money, but it's about having a head that works, and to me, and probably others this is just too much fucking about for a set of JDM regrinds.
Its your choice what you want to run mate, but we are just giving you advice as to there is more ways than one to go about getting this sorted.

rwdstarlet

Member +
I know what you have, but at the end of the day do you want a head that COULD be unreliable? Causing even more expense? You can still run billets with exactly the same setup, springs,retainers and whatever else you have, but since the cruise cams are regrinds and the base of the lobe has been machined off to give the extra lift, also causing the LCA to change.
Maybe it's not about saving money, but it's about having a head that works, and to me, and probably others this is just too much fucking about for a set of JDM regrinds.
Its your choice what you want to run mate, but we are just giving you advice as to there is more ways than one to go about getting this sorted.

Re-grinds or not dont they still make good power? arint they still a good cam? arint they still better than some other brands? YES, and the head is being pressure tested to ensure its strong enuf to up hold. In to deep now to turn back, so unless you have advice on how to raise spring pressure back up after installing longer valves i would appreciate it if u could stop with thew negative remarks. but thanks for your opinion

AdamB

Member +
They may make good power, above 6000rpm... drag car fine, street car no. I wouldn't class them as a good cam tbh, a regrind thats a ball ache to fit, a regrind that has virtually no lobe base, a poor LCA. Better than other brands? Better than billets? No.

Would it not be easier to cut the valve stem to the required length once installed and then use a shim to raise the spring pressure?

rwdstarlet

Member +
They may make good power, above 6000rpm... drag car fine, street car no. I wouldn't class them as a good cam tbh, a regrind thats a ball ache to fit, a regrind that has virtually no lobe base, a poor LCA. Better than other brands? Better than billets? No.

Would it not be easier to cut the valve stem to the required length once installed and then use a shim to raise the spring pressure?

were would i find billets that are good and fit straight in? the car will only be driven on the weekends and drag events, wnt b an every day driver

AdamB

Member +
were would i find billets that are good and fit straight in? the car will only be driven on the weekends and drag events, wnt b an every day driver

Tighe cams, and are very good prices. I shall PM you the spec sheet as they do quite a range.

AdamB

Member +
The spec sheet I had been given ranges from 82 deg all the way upto 340 deg with 8.8mm lift. But as Spuddy said they can make you a custom spec if you wish, these are just more of an off the shelf cam.

Vincent-ep91

Member +
I find myself leaning towards rwdstarlet as these cruise camshafts have been made work elsewhere. Please update us with whatever solution you end up with :)