curious to find out what the diffrence is (rods)

rage

Lifer
hi all!

today i was stripping down a bone stock 12v 2e-e engine and was discussing with a friend if it might be possible to turbo a 2e engine.
i thought the rods would not be up to spec so we decided to find out what the rods were like compared to GTT and glanza.

quite spurised to say the least when i found out the following:

left to right: gen 1 GTT, glanza, 2e-e

2012-09-23%252021.37.53.jpg

and again, same order

2012-09-23%252021.39.01.jpg

why is a stock 2e rod exactly the same as a GTT rod? caps are just as thick, rod is just as thick, length is the same, everything is the same as far as i can see.

so the question is, did i miss something? were the GTT rods treated in any way? or are they really the same? and compared to the 2e rod the glanza rod is a flimsy thin rod.

Krptonite

Fresh Recruit
I Think They Are The Same..If Memory Serves Me Correct 2e Con Rod Bearing And 4e Are The Same...And 3e And 5e Are The Same...As For Why The Glanza Is Thinner I Not Sure..But Design Wise The Are The Same....

Skalabala

Member +
They do look the same but you will need inside info from a person who worked in the factory that time so that you know how and from what the rods were made.
1E 2E 4E are the same big end bearings.
And the 2ete probably used standard 2e/e rods.

Last edited:

rage

Lifer
will clean one in my ultrasonic cleaner and weigh them to rule out if it's made from other materials

weeJohn

Lifer
The part number is not the same as any 4EFTE engine rod, there must be a slight difference is some way but its hard to see from the pics. I can only check the rod and bearing together, but the bolt is listed as only for the 1E and 2E engines. The 2EE rods are the same as whats used in may 4EFE engines, they do look beefier than the Glanza rods, if the gudgeon pin is the same maybe its just the bolt that differs?

Vincent-ep91

Member +
The only way to truly tell is by conducting some non destructive tests using the Izod and Charpy indentors.
Then following that, a destructive test. Since the rod is normally being used in compression, some sort of compression test would be ideal. But would you ever get accurate results using old rods?... No, because of fatigue, servicing and all those factors...So really you would have to buy new ones and test them...

Skalabala

Member +
^ Are they that good??? :p
Well looking at the cast join mark on those skinny rods it does not look like it is in some way special compared to the others.

dark_knight

Member +
why exactly did toyota decide to use thinner rods on the glanza yet the rest of the engine is pretty much the same with the GT..? was it a cost-cutting feature or is the engine able and capable of protecting itself despite the thinner rods..?

rage

Lifer
why exactly did toyota decide to use thinner rods on the glanza yet the rest of the engine is pretty much the same with the GT..? was it a cost-cutting feature or is the engine able and capable of protecting itself despite the thinner rods..?

most likely weight reduction on the rotating parts = faster revving engine.
but then again, why not just place a lighter flywheel

wildchild

Member +

maybe MR. toyota in japan didnt know that we were boosting mad and taking the maximum possible work from those engines and so decided to thin the rods so that it withstands 1 bar of boost and not more. It will also be lighter and saves a few bucks on manufacturing them.
but ive heard somewhere that they are equally strong as the GT rods. not quite sure on this though.

dark_knight

Member +
both rage and wildchild could be right, and perhaps also, with the glanza being a 'newer' model, they had better technology at their disposal to manufacture the same spec of rod using less material.. kinda similar to CF replacing aluminium which replaced mild steel.. :)

lukep

Member +
The thicker rods where only used in the mk1 GT, the MK2/3 GT Had the thinner rods, also the GI has the thicker rods is I'm lead to believe. Maybe Toyota just used up the old stock before using the newer stock (thinner rods)? Or they over engineered the first lot then decided this is a budget car and they need to cut cost? Don't think anyone is ever going to know as this subject has been covered many times on this forum and others. The only way to solve this is if some one has them tested for strength and publishes the results. An old member said they had done it but no evidence was produced to prove the thinner rods were stronger.