Hybrid or not

GT_lewis89

Member +
Hi. Is this a hybrid or not as I was sold this a few months ago and im about to fit it and looking at it now I'm not sure if it's a hybrid or not. Can someone confirm if it's standard or not

24072012403.jpg
[/IMG]
24072012402.jpg
[/IMG]
24072012401.jpg
[/IMG]
24072012400.jpg
[/IMG][/QUOTE]

bucketep91

Member +
It does have a larger wastegate than an oem unit and the compressor wheel looks a bit different. Did the seller not tell you anything else about it?

pilgrim_fgau

Member +
it doesnt look to be a hybrid, it has the stock housing, stock compressor wheel, and stock turbine wheel. Its hard to tell be the pics but the wastegate does look ever so slightly larger, but that may just be the shadows etc in the pic. Thats not saying it hasnt been rebuilt by TMD, as it does look relatively fresh by looking at the condition of the compressor housing and wheel. But it does look to be a stock ct9a from a GT

GT_lewis89

Member +
it doesnt look to be a hybrid, it has the stock housing, stock compressor wheel, and stock turbine wheel. Its hard to tell be the pics but the wastegate does look ever so slightly larger, but that may just be the shadows etc in the pic. Thats not saying it hasnt been rebuilt by TMD, as it does look relatively fresh by looking at the condition of the compressor housing and wheel. But it does look to be a stock ct9a from a GT

Its defo been rebuilt as there Is no shaft play what so ever etc.. Just he sold it to me as a hybrid and it's not so I want my money back and I'll give him the turbo back. Il wait to see if he replys to my pm before deciding next step.

GT_Irl

Member +
Measure the diameter of the intake on the hotside buddy...should be bigger than standard. Standard is 36mm internal diameter
hybrid:
IMG_06301.jpg

Not hybrid:
gtstuff033.jpg

Side by side:
DSCF1206.jpg

Last edited:

GT_lewis89

Member +
Well reply from the seller is that tmd sold this to him as a hybrid. To me this looks nothing like a hybrid. Is there a way I can get in contact with tmd?? If this is not a hybrid then I want my money back. Cheers

steve-gers

Member +
Not all hybrids have a bigger inlet so measuring won't necessarily tell you anything. I had a toy tuning hybrid and it was standard size inlet but different compressor wheel, ported wastegate, bigger penny, different bearings.....etc.

Jay

Admin
Looks like a stock CT9A to my eyes.

Stock inlet and exhaust side. Clean but not a hybrid unless there's written proof of what work that has been done (invoice etc).

TMD are no longer trading unfortunately.

GT_lewis89

Member +
Ok cheers for the response lads. I've asked for proof of invoice etc but don't think I'm going to see any as to me it looks standard. Cheers

gibby1980

Member +
Not all hybrids have a bigger inlet so measuring won't necessarily tell you anything. I had a toy tuning hybrid and it was standard size inlet but different compressor wheel, ported wastegate, bigger penny, different bearings.....etc.

Toytuning inlet was bored out a bit. I still have one on to be honest. That unit posted looks like the CT9A i took off my car.