Water pump fuse

spence

Member +
Hi guys,

Which fuse in the fuse box for the water pump as I think mine has gone and want to check the fuse first before I do anything.

Basically my expansion tank for my water is bubbling over and it is over heating quite rapidly so I do t think the water pump is working.

Can anyone give some advice on this if they have any please?

Cheers
Spence

Paul-r33

Fresh Recruit
The water pump is belt driven and doesn't have a fuse. The only water pump fuse is for the window washers.

spence

Member +
You can check the water pump by removing a hose and checking for water flow.

Yeah I did that n there's no water going towards the heater matrix, luckily enough Iv got a spare water pump lying around off another 4efte engine so I'm in the process of changing it :)

spence

Member +
Right, Iv got the water pump off and there doesn't seem to be anything wrong with it, the impeller inside thw pump seems fine and has no damage on it, so what does people think it could be?

spence

Member +
Oh and it is losing coolant from near where the thermostat housing is, but can't see anything wrong with that either :s

Paul-r33

Fresh Recruit
Is the thermostat operating as its should? if it is Try flushing the system using a hose to see if there is any blockages. If its not those then it could be more serious.

spence

Member +
Is the thermostat operating as its should? if it is Try flushing the system using a hose to see if there is any blockages. If its not those then it could be more serious.

Yeah the thermostat is working fine, opening when warm and closing when cooling down.
Iv flushed the rad to see if there is a blockage in there but there doesn't seem to be, ill flush the engine tomorrow and see if theres a blockage in there, if not I'm stumpt to what it'll be

spence

Member +
Blocked heater matrix? Try flowing water the other way to push the crap back, with both pipes off

Iv got a feeling that it may be the heater matrix because it doesn't get warm inside the car much at all, how hard is if to remove the heater matrix anyway?

weeJohn

Lifer
Heater matrix is not easy to get at, you can try flushing it out by removing the 2 rubber pipes where they go through the bulkhead and use a hose to flush the matrix out.

spence

Member +
Heater matrix is not easy to get at, you can try flushing it out by removing the 2 rubber pipes where they go through the bulkhead and use a hose to flush the matrix out.

Ok cheers dude, but Iv found out what is causing me to lose water, ill try posting a picture of where it is leaking from

spence

Member +
image-1.jpg

There is a little hole in the metal pipe (the one with the rubber pipe attached) so does anyone know how to remove these from the head?

weeJohn

Lifer
They are pressed in, but you will likely break it trying to get it out. Is it not part of the thermo housing back plate it goes into?

You need to start using some sort of anti freeze in the system, its also a corrosion inhibitor that will prevent rust build up like you have.

Last edited:

dac69er

Super Moderator
just replace the thermostat housing. you mentioned you had another 4efte engine!? just use the one off that. its only 3 bolts to remove. just need some sealant when you refit it.