Engine mount strengthening

Jay

Admin
I've seen it done with windscreen bonder before (with limited results) but has anyone found anything like this stuff locally?

http://page10.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/m125770485

"By pouring a 2-component special urethane rubber in the cavity of genuine mount, it can be a commercially available strengthening mount the same level. ( hardness 65 70 75 80 85 90 ; 6 type setting) water absorption is low, it does not cause hydrolysis with water or the like. (Polyurethane, etc. are decomposed to become tattered.) HF set A solution 350 g B solution 350 g

( mixing ratio 1: 1 ) total 700g Because it is, it depends also on the type of vehicle is about 1 to 1.5 cars is when it can be manufactured I think. Products are manufactured by M Arts motor sports. Price ¥ 7560 (tax included) ※ I do the product specification changes for quality improvement.  It can also be painted in conventional street surface. 1.A liquid (main agent) 2.B solution (curing agent) 3. brush × 1 4. gloves × 1 set 5. measuring cup × 2 6. cleaning thinner × 1 7. Instructions"

Should be worth a punt on older bushes that are showing signs of cracks?

Jay

weeJohn

Lifer
My concern with urethane is that it might not bond to the existing rubber bush and you end up with a half urethane mount that would break easier. The window bonding is a rubber solution so it bonds to the existing bush, as long as its clean and grease free.

will_maddox

Member +
Reviving this thread, I had a roofer to do some Repairs on the porch and he used a resin called grp which once set was very similar to yellow Powerflex bushes (maybe a little softer) which is cheap as chips on eBay £15 for 1 litre. Iv not tried it but worth a shot if someone has a spare engine mount out off the car

Jay

Admin
I actually picked up some two pack stuff recently to experiment with old mounts that have cracks. Will report back once I've used it. Seemed cheap enough from a local supplier.

Would be nice to see a direct comparison with the bonder you have used Will.

Jay

will_maddox

Member +
I actually picked up some two pack stuff recently to experiment with old mounts that have cracks. Will report back once I've used it. Seemed cheap enough from a local supplier.

Would be nice to see a direct comparison with the bonder you have used Will.

Jay
Like John said my only quarm is getting the stuff to bond with the original old rubber mounts. Seen people on YouTube use of cuts of rubber fuel hose stuffed in the gaps which worked really well cheap as chips and can be done while mounts are still on the car

Reactions: Jay
long time ago i used urethane to pack my TRD back/gearbox mount...to help add a little strength without going to polybushes...i did this before i installed my engine torque damper a while afterwards
i think i did this in 2007/2008...yesterday i saw the urethane piece is still there, it did not bond to the rubber mount, but acts like an "insert".
i'm thinking i'll clean the mount and reapply a fresh set of urethane,,,, not bad for nearly 10 years :cool:

DudFunk

Member +
Anyone ever try engine mounts from Alibaba etc?I was thinking of giving them a try before going for 50 shore 2-part poly. I just don't want my teeth to be shaking while sitting at traffic lights :)

Jay

Admin
I was pricing round on the non-genuine ones on Ebay and they seemed to work out £35 ish each which isnt too bad so long as they last a while and dont shake the false teeth loose.

Ended up grabbing a set of the red mounts from Jeremy at £65 the full set. Just for comparison sake.

DudFunk

Member +
I have heard it is the top engine mount that is the worst culprit for the rattles? I think I will give them a punt see what kind of quality the rubbers are etc but please let me know what you think of JD's bushes I cant think of any one with better "drivers seat intuition" in an EP then you Jay!

Jay

Admin
Dont know about that. Possibly 'most miles covered' but I'm a slow learner so that counts for nothing :D

GP82

Member +
I used this many years ago (5+ years) on all the stock engine mounts. Has held up really well! (I have covered alot of miles) It worked really well for me!

Absorbed vibration so no rattling cabin or interior bits falling off. Transformed the car in how it put the power down. Can also be used to fill other open bushes like for example control arms etc. Like mentioned; when using this and applying, the key is the preparation in thoroughly cleaning all the old rubber.

Only downside is You cannot install the mounts after filled, You have to let the rubber cure in a high humidity envoirnment, the longer You leave it, the better they will cure. This one reccommended 2 - 3 months to cure fully.

Attachments

• 3M.jpg
    3M.jpg
    57 KB · Views: 7

Jay

Admin
Will the amount of inactivity my cars see 2-3 months curing time is not an issue :D

Good to see some feedback on this topic from experienced hands.

SKINY

Lifer
I have heard it is the top engine mount that is the worst culprit for the rattles? I think I will give them a punt see what kind of quality the rubbers are etc but please let me know what you think of JD's bushes I cant think of any one with better "drivers seat intuition" in an EP then you Jay!
I replaced the top engine for a poly one after the factory one gave up, noticed a bit of rattle in the cabin after and taking off from a stop feels quite firm, my previous glanza rep was fully bushed front to back and the rattles in the cabin sitting ticking over where mad ! Once you get going but it quietened down.
I know folks that have tigersealed the factory mounts and they say they noticed an improvement in the strength of them, no experience myself with it.
I've both gearbox mounts in poly here too but not rushed to fit them
Louis Brooks BRD racing development on Stalker book makes different grades of bushes and has developed them on his own gt4 racecar, handy enough if you have access to a lathe and various grades of poly, I've also read they are said to give better launch and grip off the line as the engine and box doesn't move about and creates more grip, again I read that review by Louis.

thefalls

Member +
I have power flex, yellow ones, all the engine mounts and the engine doesn't really move and feels great.
They take some miles to settle but they do rattle a bit.
The car is not a daily anymore.:p