EMU issue (blowing EFI fuse)

Galen

Lifer
I have Emanage Ultimate that is hardwired into original harness on my Glanza. It has been in the car 5 years or so with no issues.

A few weeks ago the car blew an EFI fuse.
I was after launching the car and the dash hopped a bit just before the fuse blew.
Im thinking the dash hopping shook the wiring and caused something to make the fuse blow.

I changed fuse and last night it blew again, Ive also noticed the handbrake light flicker on and off a bit while driving now.

Ive got a wiring diagram and will check to see if something looks dodgy in the harness.

Anyone any suggestions of which wire to check or would there be one or two that may cause the issues?

Thanks

SKINY

Lifer
Handbrake light flicker is maybe low brake fluid level buddy and hard acceleration/braking bringing it on
I know nothing about the EMU,s but a good start is checking each wire end to end for continuity with a multimeter

Reactions: Jay

Jay

Admin
Last time I saw an EFI fuse blowing it was a short in the dash loom. I'd go round the wiring you can access mate and see if something has either come loose or rubbed through against something. Fingers crossed it's something simple.

Galen

Lifer
Yeh hopefully its easy found, heading over to JAE show end of the month so dont want to be out changing fuses every couple of miles lol

Galen

Lifer
Could a dodgy boost sensor on my avcr cause the efi fuse to blow?

I noticed the plastic cover on the sensor is all cracked and broken exposing the circuit.

It only blows the fuse at full boost too.

I have a new sensor ordered anyway, just hoping its the issue so its right before this trip to england. Everything else seems fine

Reactions: Jay

Galen

Lifer
Still having this problem, cant find anything wrong.

Only seems to blow in boost, if take it handy it doesnt.
I plugged out avcr and it still blew.

Getting ferry friday morning to england, anyone any ideas at all?

Jay

Admin
This one has been puzzling me for a bit..

Only thoughts were to check the efi wiring, the whole harness, for any sharp kinks or rubbed wires. If it's only happening on boost you will need to shake the wiring in case engine movement is making/breaking the short.

Also have a look at the efi relay. Seen corrosion affect them before so make sure you remove and inspect, dont just look at it lol.

Bound to be something simple!

Galen

Lifer
Thanks Jay, swapped the relay already.

Kind of thinking fuelpump now so getting a friend to check that today while Im in work.

Fingers crossed find something before Friday!

Galen

Lifer
did you clean and inspect the sensor circuit yet ?

Fitted new one and still same problem.

Changed pump this evening, drove it hard out the road, turned to come back and drove it hard, was was going up a hill then just building boost and it blew.

It only seems to happen when ya put it under load, thats why fuelpump seemed the likely problem, unfortunately not though

Jay

Admin
Just doesn't give me the impression that it is component related by how you describe it. Sounds like it's more likely to be wiring. Have you opened the loom any?

SKINY

Lifer
Could well be the e-manage itself, can you remove it from the equation to try ? I've heard tales about them failing and losing maps etc, Ian here has just been having running issues and was the e-manage, standard ecu now it's running well again, he's on here but quiet lad :eek:

Galen

Lifer
Sorted this after, missed out in bringing the car to JAE, but found the problem fairly easy after getting back.....

...... the hoodexit screamer pipe!!

Cause its topmount turbo setup, the screamer comes up along front of the turbo and close to the front panel where the loom goes across.
That and a not so great gearbox mount means the movement of engine when accelerating meant the screamer was rubbing against the loom, eventually melting through and causing a short

Af least it was an easy enough fix in the end lol

Jay

Admin
Thank crap for that - this was bugging me since you put the thread up!

You and your fancy hood exit :D