Reccomendations for new Fuel Pump?

Myweegem5

Hi,

My fuel pump needs replacing unfortunately. Can anyone reccomend me a brand/type for a new or used replacement fuel pump for GT turbo EP-82?

It’s all running on pretty much stock parts so just want a reliable replacement pump that’s not going to be noisy or any way less capable than the last pump. All info or advice greatly appreciated.

Jay

Admin
Yeah, Walbro is usually the 'go-to' unit for the 4efte in terms of upgrade although there is quite a buzz/whine from them. The last fuel pump I fitted for someone was sourced from Tuning Developments and didn't seem to be loud at all, was quite surprised at the time. Can't for the life of me remember what brand they supply. Might be worth enquiring with Mike at TD, it wasn't as pricey as the Walbro either.

Hope that helps,

Jay

gibby1980

Member +
I have an epman 255lph high pressure pump in. Quite a few of the guys with evo's have them in as well. Same thing as a Walbro.

Myweegem5

A walbro unit should do, get them on eBay etc :)
Yeah, Walbro is usually the 'go-to' unit for the 4efte in terms of upgrade although there is quite a buzz/whine from them. The last fuel pump I fitted for someone was sourced from Tuning Developments and didn't seem to be loud at all, was quite surprised at the time. Can't for the life of me remember what brand they supply. Might be worth enquiring with Mike at TD, it wasn't as pricey as the Walbro either.

Hope that helps,

Jay
I have an epman 255lph high pressure pump in. Quite a few of the guys with evo's have them in as well. Same thing as a Walbro.
Thanks SKINY, Jay, gibby1980 for the replies. I’ve seen Walbro mentioned a lot but I was put off them after reading about them being noisy. I had no noise from my previous pump and it was in the car for years so I just want same again if I can get it.
Out of curiousity why are most people choosing Walbro over other brands anyway?

Jay I’m intersted in finding out more how do I contact Mike at TD?

gibby1980 is the pump you use quieter than a Walbro or just the same? Is it not overrated for a GT turbo if there used in evo’s?

Anyone else want to share reccomendations? The more the better chance I have of choosing the right one for peace of mind!

Myweegem5

The website is www.tuningdevelopments.co.uk

Ask for Mike and mention tgtt. He should be able to help.

A 255 pump should be fine for replacement purposes.
Thanks Jay, I’ll have a look later and I’ll be sure to mention ttgtt.com. I just really need to know if you are recommending this pump to be quiet along with reliable in your experience?

i have tried a walbro and had 2 fail. i have also tried one from TD and found it did the trick fine. also bought a cheapo one off ebay and it has also been fine. it appears to be very similar to the TD one tbh. at half the price i thought it was worth a shot!

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/DA-25-FU...027686&hash=item23a6fa934c:g:t68AAMXQQJBQ9DzE
Thanks dac69er not good to hear about the walbro fails but good to know. Are you also reccomending these pumps to be quieter than walbro? It’s nice to get something half price as long as it is as reliable!

i run a walbro pump...upgraded from toyota celica gt4 pump
strangely, i dont find the walbro to be overly noisy as persons say----this was a massive concern i had before i bought it
the celica pump was almost as quiet as the stock pump...and i find the walbro to be fairly quiet as well
with both the celica and walbro you can hear a slight "whine" from outside and inside if you listen for it
however, that being said, my car is fully furnished with carpet, seats, trims, etc. and usually has in a decent volume of gas which i suppose may muffle the sound tremendously

i did a ton of research and chose the walbro because it provided all the flow needed at the least amperage draw for a given flow rate of all the other aftermarket pumps i checked out
and with our old starlet wiring systems (20 years++), i thought it would be wise not to put any extra strain on the wiring

http://www.superstreetonline.com/how-to/engine/1404-fuel-pump-shootout/
http://www.superstreetonline.com/how-to/engine/1405-fuel-pump-shootout-part-2/

http://realstreetperformance.com/Fuel-Pump-Comparison-Test.html

Myweegem5

Definitely quieter than the walbrook pump.
Glad to hear that. I’ve tried contacting Mike at TD following the link but unfortunately have got no reply. I think I’ll have to make a decision soon though.
Edit; Jay how long has these pumps you’ve fitted and recommended as quieter than walbro been fitted for to date without problems?

Last edited:

Myweegem5

i run a walbro pump...upgraded from toyota celica gt4 pump
strangely, i dont find the walbro to be overly noisy as persons say----this was a massive concern i had before i bought it
the celica pump was almost as quiet as the stock pump...and i find the walbro to be fairly quiet as well
with both the celica and walbro you can hear a slight "whine" from outside and inside if you listen for it
however, that being said, my car is fully furnished with carpet, seats, trims, etc. and usually has in a decent volume of gas which i suppose may muffle the sound tremendously

i did a ton of research and chose the walbro because it provided all the flow needed at the least amperage draw for a given flow rate of all the other aftermarket pumps i checked out
and with our old starlet wiring systems (20 years++), i thought it would be wise not to put any extra strain on the wiring

http://www.superstreetonline.com/how-to/engine/1404-fuel-pump-shootout/
http://www.superstreetonline.com/how-to/engine/1405-fuel-pump-shootout-part-2/

http://realstreetperformance.com/Fuel-Pump-Comparison-Test.html
Thanks gorganl2000 for your input. There seems to be a lot of good info you have there worth looking through. But if you’ve decided on the walbro after all that info maybe I should do the same. I’m a bit confused now. o_O

Myweegem5

go with the walbro mate, had them in a few cars and didn't really notice any extra noise, the exhaust will drown it out anyways :D
Lol I might! My aftermarket exhaust isn’t a very noisy one although I’d like to change the sound I’ll have to put up with it for now. Why are people not purchasing the stock pumps from dealers for replacement anyway? Is it that there far too expensive as usual?

SKINY

Lifer
Too dear from Toyota, plus the Walbro has a greater flow rate which is handy for future mods :)
Exhausts, I have a custom 2.5 inch straight through system from the de-cat into a Blitz nur spec back box, it's a bit loud on boost as they say lol

Myweegem5

Too dear from Toyota, plus the Walbro has a greater flow rate which is handy for future mods :)
Exhausts, I have a custom 2.5 inch straight through system from the de-cat into a Blitz nur spec back box, it's a bit loud on boost as they say lol
I have to say I like the sound of that lol :D. It would be nice to be prepared for future mods while at the same time fixing the issue, a bit like killing 2 birds with 1 stone!
Oh $h#t, I’ve just realised I have another problem. These replacement pump kits don’t come with the fuel level sender and I know mine was giving trouble when I was last driving it. The gauge was reading funny and the light wasn’t working anymore from my recollection. What can I do with this?

SKINY

Lifer
That's a normal Toyota fault I'm afraid, mine worked perfectly then changed tank(same sender and pump)and then it started messing around, clean what crap you can of the terminals so it has a good earth, if you do get a 2nd hand one you can test it buy plugging it in under the seat and slowly moving the level arm by hand :)

gibby1980

Member +
Thanks SKINY, Jay, gibby1980 for the replies. I’ve seen Walbro mentioned a lot but I was put off them after reading about them being noisy. I had no noise from my previous pump and it was in the car for years so I just want same again if I can get it.
Out of curiousity why are most people choosing Walbro over other brands anyway?

Jay I’m intersted in finding out more how do I contact Mike at TD?

gibby1980 is the pump you use quieter than a Walbro or just the same? Is it not overrated for a GT turbo if there used in evo’s?

Anyone else want to share reccomendations? The more the better chance I have of choosing the right one for peace of mind!

Its the same pump. Same as a walbro I once had. You can put the pump in and set the FPR to what you like once it isn't going to make the injectors leak... Tune the car. You will have room to cover upgrades later.