Greystar

Jay

Admin
Was clearing out the garage and this happened - first bath in years:

20181204_122338-jpg.217573

20181204_131804-jpg.217574

Might schedule in another wash around 2022 (been around 4 years since the last one)

Jay

Admin
All the pretty photos are a few pages back :D

Re-organizing the garage at the minute, installing heating to keep this little wagon (and a few others) warm over the winter. Everything is EVERYWHERE. Hopefully get things sorted soon!

Jay

Admin
Hey dude, glad to see you post, things are rolling along nicely. Just looking forward to a relaxing xmas!

Jay

Admin
Got a little bit done today on the fresh 4EFTE engine I'm building. It'll probably end up in this engine bay so I'll add details here.

Proof that you should always clean your shaft before you use it..

20190812_135706.jpg

20190812_140300.jpg

Had to take a gamble on another inlet cam. I've always been hold that the cams are matched to the head and that donors would need to be machined to run true. Seems to have slotted in no hassle, feels like it's rotating without any problems and only needed one shim changed when doing the valve clearances. I'll keep a close eye on the journals and lobes anyhow.

20190812_152009.jpg

20190812_181716.jpg

SKINY

Lifer
Nice work as per bro :cool: interesting info on the cams being matched to the head too, but then they are all coming from the same moulds. But then there was probably a few of each moulds going on the line and maybe some are slightly different tolerance because of this ? Can't see that effect the central rotation tho. But as you've said you had to check and adjust clearance/shims as you would do if you where fitting new or aftermarket cams :cool:

Reactions: Jay

H_D

Member +
Got a little bit done today on the fresh 4EFTE engine I'm building. It'll probably end up in this engine bay so I'll add details here.

Proof that you should always clean your shaft before you use it..

View attachment 3328

View attachment 3329

Had to take a gamble on another inlet cam. I've always been hold that the cams are matched to the head and that donors would need to be machined to run true. Seems to have slotted in no hassle, feels like it's rotating without any problems and only needed one shim changed when doing the valve clearances. I'll keep a close eye on the journals and lobes anyhow.

View attachment 3330

View attachment 3331

Learning something new everyday. I thought it was cam caps that were not interchangeable

Jay

Admin
Yeah that was my understanding too, probably best not to put too much stock in the grapevine I reckon. Thankfully that's the height of any drama with the engine so far. Looking forward to building it up now that the innards are moving again!

DudFunk

Member +
Looks like it came from a time capsule in those pictures, unreal!

Did you ever do any undersealing on the GT's? I followed in your steps and Bilt Hamber'ed the hell out of the cavities but while asking about underseal a local body guy has recommended I try Bully Liner, its a rubber based coating designed for truck beds and the like, he reckons it would be overkill for an undercarriage protectant and has the advantage of being relatively "clean" to apply and a much easier DIY job then most of the messier alternatives. https://www.bullyliner.com/

Jay

Admin
I'm not planning on undersealing this one, it's only seen one UK winter on the roads here and so the underside is fairly clean.

The Bullyliner looks a lot like plasti-dip no? I've cleaned, treated and stone chipped various bits of my other cars which has been slow work. You can see it on my 5E in this pic. Still have the boot floor to finish, just need to gather some motivation!

20181024_155907.jpg

DudFunk

Member +
The Bullyliner looks a lot like plasti-dip no? I've cleaned, treated and stone chipped various bits of my other cars which has been slow work. You can see it on my 5E in this pic. Still have the boot floor to finish, just need to gather some motivation!

View attachment 3332

From the limited research I have done it seems to be quite similar with a more textured finish, I'll buy a can and see what it does to some junk metal over the winter before committing

Some job on that 5e somehow I think you will find the heart to get them done :D

i've heard a little different, that the cam journals are machined matched to the head and can not be used on other heads...i think switching cams issues are mostly to do with re-shimming to make sure the valve clearances are correct afterwards.....after all, people swap between 4efte/5efhe/aftermarket cams all the time with these engines...so cam swaps must be ok

SKINY

Lifer
And on the 3sgte engine the na exhaust cam is a popular "mod" as it has a longer duration, I was going down that route with my gt-four before I decided to break it :(