What's the rules on changing speedo to mph on fresh import ?

dandydons

Member +
As title says can anyone confirm whether or not it is a MoT requirement or indeed any other legal requirement to have the speedo in a glanza reading mph rather than kmph ? I am thinking of getting back in the fold and being told by seller that it is not required due to being over 10 years old . Cheers Kev

SKINY

Lifer
The seller is talking balls Kev, Speedos Must have mph on them, even if it's just stickers on the clock face itself, I have seen some hilarious blackmail style ones pass ok, just cover kph with mph at the bottom I know worked for years for a buddy

Jay

Admin
Near sure the requirement for a dual reading on the speedo is a Northern Ireland thing only. It's because road signs in the south of Ireland are in km's.

Mainland UK can have the speed in kmph or mph.

SKINY

Lifer
Kev you could always call into a local mot place and ask them :)

Jay that's probably the way lol given all the other mot difference between the mainland and NI :rolleyes:

dandydons

Member +
Thanks guys - seller has apparently put it through an MoT and they do seem to deal in a lot of Jap imports so maybe all good . The Irish thing makes sense to me . Old glanza/ starlets I have had in the past were all converted to mph but maybe they weren't quite over 10 years old at the time .