Fuel pump wiring issues

kalibwenm2

Member +
Hi guys,

I'm currently using an AEM fuel pump, which i've connected to the oem fuel pump wiring harness, but somehow it seems to be having some wire heating issues at the connectors...

1. Is it normal due to the guage difference?...(note that it's really hot, i'm seeing smoke and it's melting the connectors)

2. What is the ideal wire guage to use? (as i plan to upgrade the engine soon, i wanna make sure i won't be causing any fire hazards)

Thanks in advance...cheers.

Jay

Admin
1. That is not normal at all.

2. Stock and standard should be fine. If you are experiencing heat and thermal damage (melting/burning/scorching) then there's an underlying issue somewhere.

Do you have any pics of the melting?

i agree with Jay, there must be some underlying issue as i've not heard anyone that has changed their pump reporting any such occurrence over the years on this site

probably get an auto-electrician to check the wiring over---i'd strongly suggest you not drive it, fire and gas are not a good mix

kalibwenm2

Member +
1. That is not normal at all.

2. Stock and standard should be fine. If you are experiencing heat and thermal damage (melting/burning/scorching) then there's an underlying issue somewhere.

Do you have any pics of the melting?

I haven't taken any pics, but it's where i crimped the connector... Everywhere else from that connector to the relay seems fine, no heat at all.

kalibwenm2

Member +
i agree with Jay, there must be some underlying issue as i've not heard anyone that has changed their pump reporting any such occurrence over the years on this site

probably get an auto-electrician to check the wiring over---i'd strongly suggest you not drive it, fire and gas are not a good mix

If only i had a multimeter... But i guess you're right, i should avoid driving it for now...it's really weird, i never had that prob when i had a walbro.

SKINY

Lifer
As mentioned a wee multimeter is real handy for stuff like this, I picked up a wee sealey one for 12 quid from my local factors :)

kalibwenm2

Member +
We've decided to ditch this oem harness and rewire the fuel pump, using the same guage as the wires provided in the kit. Only the fuel sensor wires will be salavaged from the existing harness.

H_D

Member +
i have heard some terrible things about AEM fuel pumps failing, a local tuner to me who is also an AEM stockist advised me not to use one, its common for them to fail

kalibwenm2

Member +
i have heard some terrible things about AEM fuel pumps failing, a local tuner to me who is also an AEM stockist advised me not to use one, its common for them to fail

Sounds like i should have gotten another walbro.

But the electrician will be testing and rewiring everthing tomorrow. I really hope the pump isn't failing.