have i missed anything needed for a forge build?

J25GTi

Lifer
So far on my list i have -

Pistons
rods
Thrust Bearings
HG
Head Bolts
Oil pump
water pump
Gasket set
Oil filters 9lots of)
Fuel filter
Main Bearings and big end bearings
timing belt
thermostat

I assume all the bolts for the rods and pistons come with them? Also do i need piston rings or do forged pistons come with them?

Thanks Guys

ktl

Member +
So far on my list i have -

Pistons
rods
Thrust Bearings
HG
Head Bolts
Oil pump
water pump
Gasket set
Oil filters 9lots of)
Fuel filter
Main Bearings and big end bearings
timing belt
thermostat

I assume all the bolts for the rods and pistons come with them? Also do i need piston rings or do forged pistons come with them?

Thanks Guys

get the headgasket set would proberly be cheaper. covers everything then.

you want a oil pressure switch aswell..

10l of mineral oil

mayeb change belts why your at it alternator + p/s

then obviously the blockwork goto be done!

J25GTi

Lifer
Engine machine work ive already priced up for my engineer to do that for me :) what do i need an oil pressure switch for? Im using a 0.6mm TRD HG so can only buy seperatley!

Does anyone do normal CR pistons, id ont want low comp pistons as im trying to raise the compression ratio.

All the belts Alt and PAS were changed last weekend :rockon:

get the headgasket set would proberly be cheaper. covers everything then.

you want a oil pressure switch aswell..

10l of mineral oil

mayeb change belts why your at it alternator + p/s

then obviously the blockwork goto be done!

raise compression ?? to what ratio..and it what motor 5e or 4e..is this an naturally aspirated setup?? cuz .6mm headgasket seems kinda thin for a boosted setup for my taste..
what specs??

thefalls

Member +
Why raise the compression ratio?
If you are going forged then wouldnt you be upping the boost later on?

ktl

Member +
Engine machine work ive already priced up for my engineer to do that for me :) what do i need an oil pressure switch for? Im using a 0.6mm TRD HG so can only buy seperatley!

Does anyone do normal CR pistons, id ont want low comp pistons as im trying to raise the compression ratio.

All the belts Alt and PAS were changed last weekend :rockon:

because the 1 you got now has proberly not been replaced ? Unless your running a seperate guage but i replaced mine so i knew it was brand new on my forge setup.

upto you its your engine :)

J25GTi

Lifer
Hey guys,

Its a 4e, running 9.1-9.5:1 cr maybe more, maybe like 10:1, it all depends on what I go for, I'm thinking I'm going to use a rollerbearing t25,

Sigma

Member +
raise compression ?? To what ratio..and it what motor 5e or 4e..is this an naturally aspirated setup?? Cuz .6mm headgasket seems kinda thin for a boosted setup for my taste..
What specs??

do not fit this headgasket to a boosted 4e of any sort. My engine lasted 276miles before destroying 2 pistons.

J25GTi

Lifer
do not fit this headgasket to a boosted 4e of any sort. My engine lasted 276miles before destroying 2 pistons.

Why not? There is no reason why it shouldnt last, a 9.1/9.5:1 CR isnt anything special, there is no reason whatsoever that i couldnt run this gasket?

The only time it would be a problem is if it wasnt mapped correctly for that compression then it would det.

or have i missed something?

I know i cant run as much boost, but i want a driveable quick road car, not a lag monster low compression engine.

Also, can forged rods be reused?

Phil

Super Moderator
she'll be grand with management. though you wont be able to run too much boost.

try low comp pistons like the wossner 6cc dish or wiesco 10cc dish ones and you'll be onto a winner.

also you will be cheaper buyin a complete engine gasket kit and the trd hg, then selling the stock headgasket on its own. or do what i did and just lose it. :haha:

good luck with it all.

you'll need the right mains for your crank so make sure your ordering the right bearings with your engineer/builder.

Phil

J25GTi

Lifer
Thanks for the info phil, Yeah i was going to get a whole kit, didnt think about selling the std one though! good idea.

Well, i would imagine i could run over a bar of boost on a 9.1:1 CR engine, i dont want to fit a decent sized turbo and then have to wait til 3.5krpm to get it going, needs to be fast around the roads and give lots of low down power as its mainly a road/circuit car.

Does no one do stock CR forged pistons?

she'll be grand with management. though you wont be able to run too much boost.

try low comp pistons like the wossner 6cc dish or wiesco 10cc dish ones and you'll be onto a winner.

also you will be cheaper buyin a complete engine gasket kit and the trd hg, then selling the stock headgasket on its own. or do what i did and just lose it. :haha:

good luck with it all.

you'll need the right mains for your crank so make sure your ordering the right bearings with your engineer/builder.

Phil

J25GTi

Lifer
4E, forged (soon to be anyway) Raised CR to 9.1/9.5 (waiting to hear back from my engine builder who is doing my headwork so i know exactly what iti will be.

Not 100% sure on turbo yet, either a TD04, T25 roller bearing, or a T28 (im not sure what the results are like on a t25/28 as i cant find any threads on them?)

It is going to be a street/Twisties monster, i want lots of low down oomph, obvisouly a better output (significantly) than a ct9, and able to run more boost, But if it runs out of puff higher up 6-7k, im not too fussed, as the area i live and drive is all tight winding country roads. so you wont ever get to use a whole heap of top end power!

So raising the compression to get it spooling faster,

and its on a ported and polished 5efhe head with the cams.

raise compression ?? to what ratio..and it what motor 5e or 4e..is this an naturally aspirated setup?? cuz .6mm headgasket seems kinda thin for a boosted setup for my taste..
what specs??

Phil

Super Moderator
yeah ross do stock comp pistons.

even with a stock comp engine with a td04 you will be making good boost very quickly.

dont rule out a td04 just cause its common.

Phil

Chris@CCM

Member +
trd head gaskets r fine to use in a turbo engine ive used them in the past in cars making 265hp up to 300hp but used low comp pistons ! as with any built u want to work out ur cr be for hand but i dont see any probs in using one

Last edited:

350ep70gr

Member +
Hey guys,

Its a 4e, running 9.1-9.5:1 cr maybe more, maybe like 10:1, it all depends on what I go for, I'm thinking I'm going to use a rollerbearing t25,

Better go for the 10:1 cr will make a much louder boom when the thing fall apart...:p Sorry i coulnt hold my shelf not to make this comment...Sorry again ..isnt my type to speak like that..

Anyway.. i believe you are aware that in that level of cr detonating to just a bar of pressure is a high possibility on pump gas...
Apart from that as you up the cr on a turbo car..higher the posibility is if something go wrong (like boost spike) can damage the engine very easy and very quick(rapid).
If i was you i would keep the cr to 9/1 MAX.
9.5 is the 4efe cr iirc.
Also higher the cr less the ignition advance can be appliyed. Ignition is the key to unlock the power.

Chris

J25GTi

Lifer
trd head gaskets r fine to use in a turbo engine ive used them in the past in cars making 265hp up to 300hp but used low comp pistons ! as with any built u want to work out ur cr be for hand but i dont see any probs in using one

Well, ideally aiming for 9.1:1, as it will help the turbo come in, would you say that would be okay?

yeah ross do stock comp pistons.

even with a stock comp engine with a td04 you will be making good boost very quickly.

dont rule out a td04 just cause its common.

Phil

Not ruling it out because its common, but im just thinking it might be a bit too laggy for what i need if a t25BB or a t28 come in sooner it would be less work to fit one of those than it would be to get the tdo4 down that was all!

Better go for the 10:1 cr will make a much louder boom when the thing fall apart...:p Sorry i coulnt hold my shelf not to make this comment...Sorry again ..isnt my type to speak like that..

Anyway.. i believe you are aware that in that level of cr detonating to just a bar of pressure is a high possibility on pump gas...
Apart from that as you up the cr on a turbo car..higher the posibility is if something go wrong (like boost spike) can damage the engine very easy and very quick(rapid).
If i was you i would keep the cr to 9/1 MAX.
9.5 is the 4efe cr iirc.
Also higher the cr less the ignition advance can be appliyed. Ignition is the key to unlock the power.

Chris

Thats fine, everyone has to make a joke at some point :p Well, aiming for 9.1:1, obviously boost spikes etc would be an issue, but with an external wastegate, and a gizzmo EBC with the overboost scramble etc that shouldnt be too much of a problem?

The thing with this build, is the figures dont rule me, obviously a decent figure is nice to go along with it, but i want a car that pulls hard from low down, thats my primary goal, a set up lots of low down, even if it runs out a bit up top i can live with that...

weakboy2

Member +
if you want low down dont get a t28 lol.

i would say the smallest garrett gt series t25 would be a good bet or a hybrid ct9 running at 1.4bar.

like matey said tho, to gain extra spool a nice bit of timing and lean burn can help, both these things on your high comp engine will be a bit dodgy...

J25GTi

Lifer
Yeah a Roller bearing T25 would be the kind of thing i was looking it unless anyone has any other suggestions?

And i dont think 9.1:1 is an overally high compression ratio to be honest...?

if you want low down dont get a t28 lol.

i would say the smallest garrett gt series t25 would be a good bet or a hybrid ct9 running at 1.4bar.

like matey said tho, to gain extra spool a nice bit of timing and lean burn can help, both these things on your high comp engine will be a bit dodgy...

snooksgt

Banned for being a thief
you want a metal headgasket...speedvisioncps.com are good for them and some other bits you need =D