External wastegate plumbing

J25GTi

Lifer
Hey,

Did a search, and some people say when using just using the spring for the ewg with no boost controller just go from turbo port to bottom of ewg leave the top open to air

Others say one from inlet manifold to top port and one from turbo to bottom port

Any ideas?

Rory

Lifer
Spring presure, bottom port on wastegate to the port on the compresor housing of the turbo. Leave the top open if running spring presure

jayc-glanza17

Fresh Recruit
as rory said mate, the one thats left is for when u get a boost controller.
so just to confirm, its bottom port of wastegate, to turbo compressor port.

J25GTi

Lifer
All I needed to know lads. Ta!

Not boosting right now :( but its at the mot centre now. They can fix it! :p

J25GTi

Lifer
No spooling "sucking" noise when putting your foot down. No chatter when lifting off etc.

Its a bit strange!

Dub-Se7en

Lifer
No spooling "sucking" noise when putting your foot down. No chatter when lifting off etc.

Its a bit strange!

as others say, turbo to bottom port, leaving the top venting to atmos
check the wastegate is shutting properly, there is a collar that often gets left out, although it will be quite evident it's not shut if it vents to a screamer ;)

thefalls

Member +
And what if the turbo does not have a port.
Some externally wastegated turbos do not have a port.
Then who do we proceed?
Thanks.

GP82

Member +
^ You will have to tap a port into the turbo outlet pipe/intercooler pipe or you can use a pressure source from the inlet manifold.

thefalls

Member +
Many thanks for the reply.
But for better/accurate reading which one is better?
With a fmic there might be a pressure drop,if i tap from the intake manifold?
Only guessing,can someone give some advice?
Thanks.

GP82

Member +
I would not worry about the pressure drop, you can take the pressure source from the inlet, but you gotta make sure there is no leak inbetween turbo outlet and throttle body joiners, this will cause an overboost situation, it is only a good way if you have a electronic boost controller with a fail safe overboost limit. This setup also has a tendency to spike in boost i have experienced with an internal wastegate setup, i don't know how it would react with an external wastegate.

You gotta try it out and see which boost control method works best for your setup, safest way would be to tap into the turbo outlet pipe, but there are advantages taking the pressure source from the inlet like getting more energy into the turbine before the wastegate vents. The disadvantage is you can possibly build up more heat on the turbine.

EPjack

Fresh Recruit
Do you disconnect the standard hi/lo boost controller when running off the wastegate spring?

Cheers Jack

J25GTi

Lifer
Dragging this up from the dead, i have a 3 port boost controller a hks jobbie, where do i need to conect all the ports to now?!