3SGTE 4wd glanza?

bullet

Member +
do you think its possible to convert a glanza to a 3SGTE powered 4wd beast? i been thinking of doing it for a while now. i might try and buy a crashed one and rebuild it all from scratch

dac69er

Super Moderator
anything is possible with enough work. depends how much you want to do really as im sure it would be a massive undertaking

bullet

Member +
think i would need to widen the front end a little to stop the wheels rubbing on the gearbox, if i have a front exit exhaust i can use part of the tunnel for the prop shaft move the fuel tank to the boot and use a modified GT4 rear subframe or something it could be done, so if i bought a damaged one cheap i could give it a go. how much fun would that be.

goldenvtr

Member +
deffo possable :p i would start off with an ep85 tho to save the hassle of cutting a tunnel for the propshaft and rear diff.

bullet

Member +
hummm, but thats cheating, i want it to b a one off something that people have never done and probably will never do again. plus i love the looks of a glanza

goldenvtr

Member +
hummm, but thats cheating, i want it to b a one off something that people have never done and probably will never do again. plus i love the looks of a glanza

I dont mean 4wd 4efte i mean use the shell from the ep85 or else youl have to cut and reweld a tunned along the centre off the car for the drivetrain on the ep82 shell

aaronw

Member +
theres a 4wd glanza isnt there!? so you could track one of them,and saveALOT of time,and ALOT if money

bullet

Member +
good idea aaron, didnt think of that, but would that 4wd system b strong enough for 400bhp? thats the sort of power ill b looking at putting out

Timmy

Member +
Yeh you can start with an ep95 shell but the tranny wont take it. Also a don't know is this would be easier but make the engine mid mounted or if you going to all this expece why not make the first 2jz-gte powered starlet it can't get much more expensive anyway.

Dan3SGTE

Member +
supra engine would bring the weight right up i'd say quite a bit over 1000KG........ and i could only see it being suitable for drag really.... nother less be pretty fuckin mad to say the least.....

as for the running gear, not a chance mate.... your box/diffs would have to be stupid strong to support 400HP in a glanza mate......... for the work you thinking of your looking at, at least £20K unless your doing everything yourself......... would be mental to see.......

you will need to do something about the box as you need serious clearance... i wouldnt advise cutting out part of the chassis................

miller3

Member +
Seen a Evo powered wide arch ep82 looked the TITS.. Would love to do something like this but it would cost so much money and thats me doing all the work...

bullet

Member +
i want to keep the engine in the front really, i will be doing all the work myself as im a mechanic and to do something like this has been something ive wanted to do in a very long time, even though im only 20. i think the best way to go about it all is to get a lightly crashed glanza and a smashed up GT4 and combine the 2. im looking in to getting a lock up where i can store it all. wont be happening just yet im just getting a feel for the idea. will take my time doing it so money not really too much of a worry. going to be fun. i want it to be great on a trach as well as the drag strip really.

Timmy

Member +
well they did start with a ep82 just cut most of it out. The rear axel is completly different no live axel and the radiator mounted horizontaly under the back bumper. Most the pannels are fpr ect.

Jules-B

Member +
i had an idea me and my bro might try soon

put a 3sgte engine in the back of a starlet..it will fit inbetween the struts..and use the rear hubs n driveshafts from the mr2:)

now that would be a beast

NosydneW

Member +
I think it can be done.
you will need the 3sgte engine + 4wd gearbox from the celica.
P1180043.jpg

Make the engine mounts, cut chassis for gearbox clearance at the left wheel.
Use a rx7 brake master cilinder to clear intake manifold.
Use the celica shifter and shifter cables. And run the celica speedo cable to the car but notice that you will have to replace the ep91 speedometer with the gt4 speedometer.
Make a custom radiator that will sit before the front support bar to clear the turbo and exhaust manifold.
Then drop the engine in at right position.....this means with the 4wd transfercase centered .
P1180047.jpg

When this is done you will have to mate the 3sgte wiring with the starlet wiring.......in the mean time you will need to make some front driveshafts consisting of 3sgte gearbox side and a starlet hub entry side. You can add some spacers for the wheel clearance.

Engine is in and runs well then you will have to fit the 3sgte center proppeller shaft that will need to be shortened and attached to the chassis using welding and rubbermounts. This can only be done after u have taken out the fuel tank,...weld plates to get rid of the big hole. and fit a aluminium fuel tank in the trunk while using a walbro fuel pump upgrade.

Then you go for the most difficult part.
You will need complete gt4 rear differential assembly including subframe, brakes and torque bars.
P3070020.jpg

you will need to measure this very accurate and centered. then you will know where to weld the extra support bars to attach the subframe.

When subframe is attached and you have make extra mounts to fit the torque bars you will notice that the wheel hubs are 12cm outside the ep91 at each side. This cannot be a big problem but alot off work.
You can start correcting this by dismantling te celica rear suspension ( or coilovers) and replace the rear upper mount with the ep91 uppermount. This will allow you to attach the celica coilovers to the starlet while it still can be attached to the celica brake setup.

When both coilovers are hanging you will have a base wich you can use to measure on your ep91 rear axle......to know how much you will need to shorten the 3sgte rear axles, supportbars, and torque bars.
After this is done, the wheels will sit inside the rear arches again and you will have the celica rear diff connected to the propeller shaft. You can run the ebrake cables to the e-brake and will be braking with the gt4 rear brake setup. Must use the propertional valve and abs/system sensors from the celica too.

I think there are more things that will have to be done but if you have done all this you can do the little thing that i may have forgotten too.

After all this has been done and runs well without any problem you can take you time to upgrade the chassis with some nice stability bars or a rollcage and off coarse big brake setup.
and you will need to take out you engine and rebuid it with right parts and let the fun begin

This is what i think that can be done and i think it will be very expensive...even if you do everything. but it could be a nice project.:rockon:;)

Last edited: