4efte conversion into ep85

Jason355

Fresh Recruit
Hey people.
I'm currently looking at putting a 4efte out of a ep91 glanza into a ep85 awd starlet. Already has a 4efe motor in it so in theory motor will bolt straight in.
The problem I've found is the engine loom has difrnt plug etc where it goes into the fuse box.
Pretty much what I'm wondering is if I get a loom out of ep85 or ep82 gt starlet will that solve my problem.....

Any help is muchly appreciated. Thinking a awd turbo starlet should be rather different and amusing hahaha

SKINY

Lifer
weejon and Ted i believe are the men to ask, weejon i know has done some custom looms up for the conversion
when i was going to boost the rep(ukep91) i was for using a 2 plug GT engine loom and ecu

SKINY

Lifer
yes full engine loom and ecu,
my way i was going to use the engine loom and ecu then wire the car to the other ecu plug by matching the wiring.
not sure if it would have worked tho, had most of the parts then sold it and bought the GT lol

Jason355

Fresh Recruit
These awd starlets are unreal tho. First one I've ever come across here in new Zealand. Instantly thought....... Imagine this with turbo motor in it.hahaha

Jay

Admin
The four paw takes very well to being turbo'd. There are a few examples in the UK still lurking about. Was in a twin-charged one a few years back that would put hairs on your chest :cool:

You could either take all the looms out and replace with EP82 turbo looms (plug and play approach) or strip what you need from the EP91 turbo loom and add it to the original loom (cut and splice approach).

I don't have the smarts for the second one unfortunately!

dac69er

Super Moderator
i used an ep82 turbo loom in mine and it was almost plug and play.
i had to add 1 wire in from the ECU to the rev counter (if yours already has a rev counter you wont need to do this). i also had to rewire the plugs to swap the clocks over when i changed to the cluster with rev counter.

the only other wire i had to change was for the starter motor. from memory it was the solenoid activation wire.

if you just swapped out the engine and dash looms, then you wouldnt have to mess with any wires, just plug stuff in, however the dash isnt a 5 minute job to remove.

was many years ago, so cant remember exactly. still have the car so can check when im next at my mums if you want any more details.

SKINY

Lifer
pulling the dash out isint the hard part, its they way the loom is fitted behind it, a good long blade Stanley knife is essential and then just cable tie loom back in a few places when fitting it again, ive a good few pictures i will post later :)

Jason355

Fresh Recruit
So motors in. Got a ep82 turbo look and ecu. Buuuuuuut one plug at the fusebox inside car totally different. I do still have factory dash and loom etc........

dac69er

Super Moderator
if you have just used the engine loom i thought the only plugs that went back into the car were the ones for the ecu? the rest just plug into the fusebox in the engine bay?

how many wires does the plug have that is different?

Jason355

Fresh Recruit
Hmmmmmm well now just found out it's an auto look! Have jammed the 2 inhibitor wires together and still wont crank.
So I've put power to one side of it going to starter and it cranks over. Wont fire tho.......

dac69er

Super Moderator
may be worth doing some searches about auto to manual conversions to see if anything pops up that may help?

Jay

Admin
Sounds awkward.

So basically you are trying to marry the AT engine loom to the MT vehicle looms which might require a bit of head scratching. Especially if you have a two plug ECU (Glanzas have three plugs on the ECU).

Might be better to use a manual loom from a GT for this possibly, how is parts availability in your area?

Jason355

Fresh Recruit
Parts are rare as rocking horse shit.hahaha
I'm thinking of using my manual factory loom with the ep82 turbo ecu. There exact same plug. Putting the dizzy out of my 4efe motor should work right.......
That and a sensor on intake are the only difference.

Jason355

Fresh Recruit
Can anyone confirm if I get a manual gt loom.will it fit my manual ep85 for turbo moto? I'm having a hell of a time trying to hit this auto loom.

Jay

Admin
Can't confirm it will fit 100% but it will be a lot closer than the loom you currently have. I have a loom set aside for a future project I can take pics of if you tell me what plugs are of concern?