4efte different generations - any significant differences at all?

jdmxl4

Fresh Recruit
I am about to swap my 4efe engine with a 1st gen (they said) 4efte.
Aside from I guess, being older than the newer gens, is there any performance differences at all compared with 2nd and 3rd gen 4efte's? Any downside? Or advantages maybe? hihihi...

Thanks!

Y5zKTAz.png

*Actual engine posted

rage

Lifer
the first gen engines use thicker rods so can take more abuse/boost. the first gen engine is usually recognised by the silver cam cover. all later models are black.

the engine in the pic has a black cover? doesn;t really look like a first gen to me

dac69er

Super Moderator
people do often replace the cam covers when they break and as most are black they end up with those so its not always a sure fire way of telling.

there isn't any differences worth worrying about. even the thicker rods are much of a muchness tbh.

H_D

Member +
On the earlier gen 4efte there is also an extra water gallery on the head on the inlet size. Apparently the 98 spec engines have different cams too as the part numbers are different to pre 98

Rev

Member +
Ecu performance differences - earlier 89661 - 10040 green sticker ecu has lower fuel cut not being removed by fcd. Advantage is it works with early auto or manual.

Last edited: