4efte Engine Oil

Jay

Admin
Hey buddy,

Most engines locally have run on 10-40w semi synthetic. In Japan they are prescribed 5-30w but a thicker oil suits our climate and usage here.

I find if I use a thinner oil it can bypass seals given the age of these engines. This promotes leaks, weeps and oil consumption.

Rev

Member +
I recall a post saying the service manual said both 10-30 or 10-40 are ok but can confirm as Jay says 10-30 leaks more easily.
In hot climate with a worn engine I found Castrol edge 10-30 didn't last as long but was great as a top up oil on 10-40 racing oil.
I my case the engine temps were no doubt high as the auto gear box oil cooler always heats the radiator and because I ran 20psi boost rather than stock 9 psi.

This question also depends on driving habits..
If you are wanting high revs the fullly synthetic oil is giving less friction heat so 10-30 will be best as fully synthetic.
If you like to let your oil go lower than 80% on the dip stick you should consider 10-40 as lower oil levels can increase friction heat and thin the oil.

Last edited:

Jay

Admin
Sticking to a recognised brand name is the best course of action. I used Quantum for a very long time as that's what I could get through work but we've switched to castrol in recent years. The local motor factor deals in Mannol which is a safe bet too and not too expensive either.

Been supplied fancy oil by a few customers in the past (expensive stuff which I wouldn't usually bother with) and haven't really seen much benefit.

SKINY

Lifer
Fuchs or Comma I stick to now for the Dina and GT
Got Toyota oil with the Yaris service kit recently too :)
Comma was used in a few local high hp track cars and no complaints so it will do me

Frankieflowers

Member +
Fuchs or Comma I stick to now for the Dina and GT
Got Toyota oil with the Yaris service kit recently too :)
Comma was used in a few local high hp track cars and no complaints so it will do me
Can you please give me the codes for those two oil’s so I choose the right one?

Jay

Admin
3.5 would cover the usual oil and filter change. A few 5 litre tubs should keep you covered.