A comprehensive list of parts required for a TD04 conversion.

J25GTi

Lifer
Right, I thought i would make a list of parts required for TD04 conversions, as it seems to be asked 15 times a day!

1 - TD04L Turbo, off a 2001 Subaru Impreza WRX. These can be bought recondition from traders like TM-Developments, WEPR Etc. OR can be picked up cheaply (£30-£100) second hand off places like www.scoobynet.com.

The Turbo will require rotating to match up with the starlet intercooler piping and exhaust etc! The link on how to rotate your TD04 is below...

http://www.toyotagtturbo.com/forums/showthread.php?11001-Steps-On-How-To-Rotate-A-Tdo4l-Turbo

Make sure when you buy your turbo, it comes with the banjo bolts for the oil and water feeds. And also the oil return fitting.

2. You will need oil and water lines for your turbo. These can be bought from Tuning Developments, WEPR etc. You are best off buying a kit, as the oil return pipe for the td04 to suit the starlet oil return is a pain in the ass to get the right one. so let the traders do the hard work!

NOTE - You do not have to run water lines for your turbo, its quite happy without them, if you chose not to do this, then you just loop the standard feed pipe back onto the thermostat when you fit the new kit.

,3. Manifold, and downpipe You need a manifold and downpipe combo, they must be bought together as otherwise you wont get it to line up if you mix and match brands, as they all sit the turbo in a slightly different place. Zisco and racetech can sort these out for you...

Also you need to find out if your manifold is stock radiator friendly, as if it is not you will need to use a different rad, which i will come to later...

You also need to decide if you are going to go for an externally wastegated set up or actuator set up, as it will affect your manifold choice and price!

3a. If my exhaust manifold isnt stock rad friendly? Then you will need to go on ebay and get a Honda Civic Dual Core Alloy Radiator, I got mine from a company called "Toyosports" who seemed very good! It will fit with the standard hoses, but requires two brackets making up. You need to make sure the bottom bracket has rubber on it like the standard on (you can cut the standard bracket off and reposition it and use the rubber grommet fairly easily) As you will split it if its not mounted on the rubber bracket!

4. Actuator, or External Wastegate? Personally i would always go for an external wastegate, it gives you a much better control of your boost etc and only a branded one (Tial, Turbosmart, Sard etc) If you go EWG you need to make sure your manifold can accept it and has the right type of flange for it, along with a screamer pipe for it.

If you Stick with an actuator set up, then you will require an adapter bracket to move the position of it as the std subaru one wont fit after rotating the turbo. You can also still use your adjustable actuator off your ct9 set up (or if you dont have one just buy a HKS one for a starlet) I think TED@CCM has made up actuator adapter plates.

5. Clutch, the standard clutch struggles with anything above standard boost pressure. So you will want to upgrade the clutch, I personally think a TRD uprated pressure plate and disc is all you will need if your going to be running 1 bar on a td04. If you want more there are many different types of clutch out there to chose from. But this often gets overlooked until it gets mapped and then becomes undriveable!

6. Injectors, 1 bar of boost pressure on standard injectors is pushing them to the very limit, sometimes they will take it, other times they wont, Unfortunately you dont know until you map it, so you might need some 330's or something like that!

http://www.toyotagtturbo.com/forums/showthread.php?58024-Interchangelable-Injectors-*

That is a list of straight fit injectors that will fit in your starlet.

7. Engine Management, Obviously you cant run this on the standard fuelling, without something going bang... You will require, either some sort of piggyback/standalone ECU, Emanage Blue/Ultimate been the most popular choice. And these require setting up on a professional rolling road with a wideband Air/fuel ratio gauge.

If your budget can not stretch to a piggyback or standalone ecu, you can use

JAM FCD, Fuel pressure regulator, uprated fuel pump and an Apexi SAFC II and get that set up by a professional rolling road centre too.

I would recommend using the JAM FCD and not the HKS FCD as the Jam unit only works when you have passed fuel cut by altering the voltage the ECU sees so it doesnt fuel cut. But the HKS one alters the voltage all the time the engine is on, and cause it to run lean all the way through the rev range, rather than just above fuel cut....

7. Boost Controller, An electronic boost controller is recommended rather than a manual one as manual ones arent as accurate. Something like a GReddy Profec B Spec II, or a Gizzmo MS-IBC

8. Front Mount Intercooler, You will need a FMIC to go with your kit as the standard intercooler wont fit or be capable of cooling the td04 setup. There are numerous brands of FMIC out there, WEPR, HKS, GReddy etc. No intercooler will be a direct fit to the TD04 kit as the outlet is in a different place for the 04 to the standard turbo, so some modification is required, below is the link on how to modify the HDI style pipe work, some models may differ though.

http://www.toyotagtturbo.com/forums/showthread.php?56250-Modifying-FMIC-pipework-when-removing-the-CT9-turbo-*

All the silicone hoses can be bought off ebay...

9. Air con removal, You would need to remove the aircon if going td04 as where the air filter fits requires the AC radiator out of the way. To completely remove the aircon you will require a shorter Auxillary belt, These can be got from TM-develpments, or from a uk spec n/a starlet.

10. Air filter relocation kit, You will need one of these, or make one up yourself, Can be purchased from ECC.

11. The hoses on the rocker cover breather that go to the standard inlet pipe one needs to be rpelaced by a small breater filter, (pipercross etc) and the other one just left to vent to atmostphere.

12. What boost pressure do I run? On a standard 4efte engine 1-1.1 Bar of boost pressure is about as far as most people will take it. If your going to run more than that you really need a Forged engine to be safe. The TD04 will boost 1.6 bar all day long on the right set up (forged etc)

This should cover most of it. If there is anything else that anyone feels needs adding then let me know! Hopefully this will stop most of the 15 threads a day asking about it!