Any Bikers on the Forum? - First Bike Advice

Djaniero

Member +
I'll be doing my CBT next month, then doing my mods, and would ideally like to do the advanced lessons also.

I'm just a bit unsure about what bike to get first (Has to be a Supermoto). My initial plan was to get a DT125 or Aprilia mx 125.

However, with doing my full license I'm wondering whether I should get a bigger bike...something along the lines of a Husaberg fe400 of 650?? (650 maybe a lil too wild for my first bike lol ??).

I don't really know much about the Bergs, but from a quick google search they seem to be quite high maintenance machines? The bike will solely be a weekend warrior, not a commuter, and will only be coming out in the dry.

Any advice from other riders would be appreciated:cool:

dac69er

Super Moderator
If you get a 125 you will be constantly ringing it's neck to get anywhere and you will wish you had a bigger bike.

I would try and stick with something simple to start with like a yamaha xt660 or similar. See if you like it and work from there

Last edited:

Murray

Member +
I have ridden a Husaberg 650, serious torque machine. This was in a field with dirt tyres on mind you. Not the road
It was pretty docile at the same time, you don't need to ring its neck for it to pick up speed.

Djaniero

Member +
If you get a 125 you will be constantly ringing it's neck to get anywhere and you will wish you had a bigger bike.

I would try and stick with something simple to start with like a yamaha xt660 or similar. See if you like it and work from there

I had a feeling I would be ringing its neck within an inch of its life to get anywhere lol. They do seem pretty quick though.

I don't know much about the xt660. How reliable are they and what is maintenance like?

I have ridden a Husaberg 650, serious torque machine. This was in a field with dirt tyres on mind you. Not the road
It was pretty docile at the same time, you don't need to ring its neck for it to pick up speed.

Thats good to know. So do you think they would be ok for a new rider?

dac69er

Super Moderator
my dad got an ex demo xt660. he had it as a commuter bike and it wasnt really suited due to him having to do about 20miles a day on dual carraigways.

maintenance wasnt too bad, very reliable, never had an issue with it. just keep up with the service intervals and make sure the chain stays in good shape. same with most bike tbh.

power valved 125 bikes are quick for what they are, but are hard work compared to a bigger bike. however, compared to my tuned aprilia RS 50/70, they are leisurely to ride ;)

Djaniero

Member +
hmmm. I'll have a look into the xt.
So can you happily cruise along with the 125 bikes, or is it literally all or nothing? As much as I initially wanted a 125 sm, I didn't wonna get one, only to have to sell it within a couple of months, to move onto a bigger bike. So I thought maybe get a bigger bike to begin with.

Murray

Member +
Thats good to know. So do you think they would be ok for a new rider?

I hadn't been on a bike in years and jumped on without too much drama:haha:

I couldn't give a honest answer for the road though, just don't go giving it a handful of throttle mid corner.

dac69er

Super Moderator
ive only owned an aprilia rs125 (2stroke) and you could pootle about on it if the roads are flat. but if you have many roads with inclines then you have to work them a bit to keep going at a reasonable pace. when you get it in the power it did put a smile on your face though.

the newer 125 4 strokes are probably a little better in that respect, but you will get bored quickly imo.

Djaniero

Member +
I hadn't been on a bike in years and jumped on without too much drama:haha:

I couldn't give a honest answer for the road though, just don't go giving it a handful of throttle mid corner.

lol, no I'll be riding sensibly and learning the basics before I get too carried away and end up in a hedge.

ive only owned an aprilia rs125 (2stroke) and you could pootle about on it if the roads are flat. but if you have many roads with inclines then you have to work them a bit to keep going at a reasonable pace. when you get it in the power it did put a smile on your face though.

the newer 125 4 strokes are probably a little better in that respect, but you will get bored quickly imo.

Apparently the mx has the same rotax engine as the rs, but in a supermoto body. Did you ever has any issues with the rs?

dac69er

Super Moderator
i didnt, but mine had been looked after. only maintenance i had to do was cleaning the powervalve blade every couple of months or so as it carboned up quite often.

its when youngsters have them and run shit oil, or no oil at all that they cause issues. top ends do need to be replaced now and then when they wear out. but its relatively cheap and tbh, its a pretty easy job. getting the fairings off takes the most time.

i really enjoyed owning it and kinda wish i still had it. for a 125 it was an awesome bit of kit once derestricted and with a bit of effort you can keep up with larger bikes if you go out on a ride as long as they ride reasonably.

Djaniero

Member +
With them being bikes mostly owned by younger riders, is there any tell tale signs to see if it has been looked after without any service history etc?

I'm unsure now whether to go for the aprilia mx, or something like a drz400 to start off with?

Also, how do you deristrict the aprilias?

dac69er

Super Moderator
no real way of knowing. you just have to take a punt. if they are chavvy types and the bike looks rough, it may have been abused. you just need to see at the time and take a chance unfortunately.

derestricting isnt hard. just break a bit out of the CDI unit and seal it back up. fit a powervalve or plug it in depending what it comes with. sometimes they have a restrictor in the carb too and possibly need to fit a bigger main jet.
all simple stuff :)

dac69er

Super Moderator
no real way of knowing. you just have to take a punt. if they are chavvy types and the bike looks rough, it may have been abused. you just need to see at the time and take a chance unfortunately.

derestricting isnt hard. just break a bit out of the CDI unit and seal it back up. fit a powervalve or plug it in depending what it comes with. sometimes they have a restrictor in the carb too and possibly need to fit a bigger main jet.
all simple stuff :)

Djaniero

Member +
Ok cool.

If you you were staring out again, knowing what you know now about 125 2 strokes and bigger cc bikes, which one would you start off with?

dac69er

Super Moderator
Ok cool.

If you you were staring out again, knowing what you know now about 125 2 strokes and bigger cc bikes, which one would you start off with?

I've never done my bike test mate. waste of money for the amount I use a bike.
I have had a few 125s and even with the aprilia I could have done with something with a bit more go out of the powerband.
If you have the choice of something bigger, do it. A 125 is only really any good for a town commuter or if your 17/18.

Calum122

Member +
Two strokes don't really work unless they're in the powerband lmao. But thankfully they're built to just sit at 8000 rpm all day long. I've done my bike test and still rocking the 125 scene as it's one of those things that yes I could have a silly powerful bike, but then I get a lot of enjoyment out of my current motor. You welly open the throttle on my bike and enjoy the acceleration and know well actually 1. the bike isn't going to flip and 2. I won't get banned if I get caught. You know how it is when you get older, life is precious and doing 150 mph on a bike is exhilarating sure, but you won't be seen and if you come off then the chances of surviving on public roads....

Been riding years and have had the Aprilia RS125 before and have rebuilt the engines on those bikes and many others. And they're bloody phenomenal road going engine. The amount of tuning that come on them stock is ridiculous. I had spent quite a bit on my RS and the thing bloody went. Even indicated at 110 mph. For a 125 that's insane. My current bike I've spent twice the amount tuning it and you won't get anywhere near that speed. But it's more fun to ride and safer and is just a laugh to ride. And is bullet proof lmao. Not chav proof though as it has been nicked lmao.

But Djaniero has been speaking to me a lot about this and my opinion is SO biased as I'm a MASSIVE two smoke fan and am looking at getting the rd350 YPVS engine next year to do some work with one. I wouldn't go 4 stroke for bikes so I really want him to speak to someone who is not totally deranged like me lol.

Djaniero

Member +
I've never done my bike test mate. waste of money for the amount I use a bike.
I have had a few 125s and even with the aprilia I could have done with something with a bit more go out of the powerband.
If you have the choice of something bigger, do it. A 125 is only really any good for a town commuter or if your 17/18.

Thanks for the info Dac. I've had a think, and I'm swaying more towards the mx 125....mainly because i'll only be using it a handful of times during the summer months....so a bit pointless getting a bigger bike....as its my first bike :)

Two strokes don't really work unless they're in the powerband lmao. But thankfully they're built to just sit at 8000 rpm all day long. I've done my bike test and still rocking the 125 scene as it's one of those things that yes I could have a silly powerful bike, but then I get a lot of enjoyment out of my current motor. You welly open the throttle on my bike and enjoy the acceleration and know well actually 1. the bike isn't going to flip and 2. I won't get banned if I get caught. You know how it is when you get older, life is precious and doing 150 mph on a bike is exhilarating sure, but you won't be seen and if you come off then the chances of surviving on public roads....

Been riding years and have had the Aprilia RS125 before and have rebuilt the engines on those bikes and many others. And they're bloody phenomenal road going engine. The amount of tuning that come on them stock is ridiculous. I had spent quite a bit on my RS and the thing bloody went. Even indicated at 110 mph. For a 125 that's insane. My current bike I've spent twice the amount tuning it and you won't get anywhere near that speed. But it's more fun to ride and safer and is just a laugh to ride. And is bullet proof lmao. Not chav proof though as it has been nicked lmao.

But Djaniero has been speaking to me a lot about this and my opinion is SO biased as I'm a MASSIVE two smoke fan and am looking at getting the rd350 YPVS engine next year to do some work with one. I wouldn't go 4 stroke for bikes so I really want him to speak to someone who is not totally deranged like me lol.

I was waiting for you to chime in Cal lol.
Out of the drz400 and the aprila mx 125....I think its gotta be the mx. Like you said.....the aprilia seems to have a much better spec out of the box, and its a hell off a lot lighter....not to mention easier to work on. Also I see myself heading down the modding route with the drz which could get mega expensive. I'll see how I get on with a 125....but I'm sure for a weekend toy during summer, it will fit the bill :)

Calum122

Member +
I mean personally the MX is a no brainer. It'll hold its value and will just let you know whether you are actually going to enjoy an SM. As said they're high spec for their class.

But it just comes back to that issue, when you get a two stroke engine that's had it, you really notice the difference. But they're so easy to build that I would never worry unless it wasn't factored in the price of the bike. £200 will see a rebuild in labour and you get the parts for £200.