Anyone ever seen one of these? OEM

TrisK

Member +
ee651b86-5c28-49ae-add3-835834642f0c_zpswuvc5xmc.png

Its a speed chime for the MK1 GT, like you get in the AE86 (Made famous by Initial D)

Unfortunately the part number is discontinued by toyota, but has anyone ever come across one in any Starlet?

Last edited:

Jay

Admin
Can't say I've ever noticed one before (looks like it's located in the instrument cluster?) But the part number looks like 86640-10070 and isn't just for mk1 gt's. It's showing applicable for most Jdm ep82's on the epc. The only alarm bells I usually hear at speed are from my passengers..

TrisK

Member +
Can't say I've ever noticed one before (looks like it's located in the instrument cluster?) But the part number looks like 86640-10070 and isn't just for mk1 gt's. It's showing applicable for most Jdm ep82's on the epc. The only alarm bells I usually hear at 113mph are from my passengers..

Stolen picture, and from an MR2, but yes. They fit onto the clocks like this
P1100604-1.jpg

So they just screw into some of the PCB tracks to get the signal.

I did a reverse part number search, and found them accross the starlets. The small bit in front, in the diagram (83970), is a reverse beeper! Never seen one of those either

darraghmh91

Member +
Is This one of them bells that goes off after you hit s certain speed on the clocks

Are they standard in a car or an extra

Jay

Admin
Just glad to share info chap. I think Chris green had a few difficulties with them getting a big batch of parts recently (more accuracy than anything) so I'm pretty sure he can advise in person.

Don't worry Darragh, you'll soon see them advertised all over the net as optional extra 'must haves' with sc£ne tax applied - get in now whilst the goings good mate!

darraghmh91

Member +
Ha yeah everything is being flogged off as an optional extra .. I seen one fella who had a cooling pack for beers and it had a toyota sticker on it and said it was an optional extra ha some people are stuiped enough to believe it aswell ha

What's the purpouse of this item tho and are get pricy

Jay

Admin
Can't be sure of what speed they will sound but I'd guess it's for the limiter at 180 kph?

My gt has the reverse buzzer. Any auto gt's I've driven have had this, even the auto Seras have it too so it's probably an autobox thing.

darraghmh91

Member +
I know that browner had a boxy turbo and the bell went off at 120kph .. Maybe because it's the top speed your allowed do on the roads

Wouldn't mind gettin one of these .. Where can they be bought and what kind of a price tag is on them .. Pretty cool little item

Jay

Admin
Does it stop once you hit a certain speed over that or just keep going?

Try ordering via the link above. So long as they can source them of course but worth a shot.

darraghmh91

Member +
I'm unsure of that one but I'll ask next time I'm with him .. If it did keep goin off it'd get pretty damn annoying after a while of a long drive ha

I'd love to order it but havnt got such luxuries yet the gt is coming back soon and has its nct on the 28th of this month so I'll have to pay tax and nct and of course sham who's working on the car .. Say a prayer for me tgtt ha

nistarbo

Member +
I remember reading a thread on browners boxy which had that. I think it had kept going off over a certain speed. I'd day the reverse one would be handy tho

Last edited:

darraghmh91

Member +
I think his one was an actual bell of some sort im gonna look into this

Ha that's tru jay Wel see if there answeres on the 28th for me and I'll let you know ha .. All go to mass for me on Sunday please

darraghmh91

Member +
iv been talking to browner and he said that when you drive the car the bell behine the cluster keeps going off till you drop it down to the appropiate safety speed

darraghmh91

Member +
I don't think I'll bother either ha be pretty annoying on a long drive

Browner said it goes off after 110kph so be shitty if your on a 120kph road

TrisK

Member +
Its actually not that annoying. We drove back from Leeds down to Poole in my mates AE86 with it. And it was only midly annoying.

We named it the progress bell, because when you could hear it you knew you were making progress and not stuck in traffic.

I had a reply yesterday from that website Jay, they are out of stock in Japan too. So looks like a second hand job, although I've spoken to a fair few people and nobody has seen one in the flesh, so they seem fairly rare by my reckoning

Jay

Admin
Check the bins. If mine had one fitted when I first got it it would have been hunted down and ripped out to blazes lol.

I can't see why anyone would have deliberately specced the car with one unless it was a lower powered base model for a young driver so you might find a battered soleil with one hopefully.