Apexi Power FC for Glanza

Starbus

Member +
I posted a thread recently about ECU's.

I was going to go for the Greddy Emanage, but it doesn't seem very good at all when you read into it.

I.e. only having 5 adjustable points etc.

I was thinking of buying any old power FC ecu, as there all the same i think. I.e. 1 for an Evo as there 400 not 1400!

And then just getting a harness like this 1.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/New-Apexi-AP-...eZWD1VQQtrksidZp1638.m118.l1247QQcmdZViewItem

Just wondering if anybody else has done this?

I think it will be a far better engine management than the Emanage.

www.glanza.co.uk

Super Mod (極度の調整器)
I think you're missing the point as to why the Starlet PFC's are so expensive as opposed to the Evo ones... The Starlet ones are re-programmed by AP Engineering to work on a Starlet (and have been discontinued), whereas Evo ones are made in the Apexi factory.

Plugging in an Evo one will simply make your Starlet immobile...

*EDIT*

Beat me to it damn it! :p

Last edited:

Starbus

Member +
I think you're missing the point as to why the Starlet PFC's are so expensive as opposed to the Evo ones... The Starlet ones are re-programmed by AP Engineering to work on a Starlet (and have been discontinued), whereas Evo ones are made in the Apexi factory.

Plugging in an Evo one will simply make your Starlet immobile...

*EDIT*

Beat me to it damn it! :p

Hmmm, what exactly is different?

I can upload maps for the 4efte engine onto my Evo power fc ecu.

Are you guys sure some1 isn't just hooking any old power fc upto a laptop and making a killing?

Adam_Glanza

Member +
to be honest i wuda thought somebody wud of tryed that already if it was that simple?

im afraid thats outa my depth neway hopefully somebody else can help you out.

Starbus

Member +
to be honest i wuda thought somebody wud of tryed that already if it was that simple?

im afraid thats outa my depth neway hopefully somebody else can help you out.

Thats the thing you see, theres 100's of people on the internet, like yourself who take others word for it.

Just 2 minutes ago, you told me it wont work at all, now your saying you don't know.

I have the interface to hook it upto my laptop. (basically i map my own car and use the same thing as all the tuners do to upload map's and live map my ECU)

What somebody linked for sale appeared to be just a normal power FC, with a certain base map on it, and the same harness i linked.

Think i'm going to buy it and find out the hard way.

If it works. I'll be on the bandwagon selling power FC's at a stupid price ;)

Starbus

Member +
Because Apexi never made one for the starlet, AP took the MR2 ecu and adapted it to work

Wonder what they actually "adapt"

I can't see them changing any of the hardware, so maybe they just load a basemap on there.

Here is a picture off the FC Edit, looks to me like i can just upload this basemap and start mapping from there.

4efte.jpg

Adam_Glanza

Member +
well by all means give it a go mate..

maybe it just needs that kinda brave money waisting no fear kinda bastard to try it :p

like i said tho i cant amagine the japs wudnt of tried it before or something?

i think i remember why they dont work now.

because its a standalone it isnt as simple as just "mapping"

all other functions like aircon bla bla dont work because obviously an evo is completely different to a starlet.

thats why they make them from mr2's as they are the next best thing to the starlet ecu :D

woo hoo go me

Starbus

Member +
If it was just a base map don't you think veryone would be doing it??

I don't know, hence me asking.

Does anybody know what the actual difference is then?

What would be the point in me been able to upload a standard Starlet map onto any power FC ecu if it wouldn't work.

WallaceGlanza

Member +
The emanage blue is very good for the price of it, its not just got 5 points of adjustment. With the additional injector and ignition harnesses it has 16x16 mapable tables like the one above from the pfc.

For a starlet they are good enough, 190bhp on a ct9 isn't bad and that was mapped using an emanage blue.;)

Starbus

Member +
well by all means give it a go mate..

maybe it just needs that kinda brave money waisting no fear kinda bastard to try it :p

like i said tho i cant amagine the japs wudnt of tried it before or something?

i think i remember why they dont work now.

because its a standalone it isnt as simple as just "mapping"

all other functions like aircon bla bla dont work because obviously an evo is completely different to a starlet.

thats why they make them from mr2's as they are the next best thing to the starlet ecu :D

woo hoo go me

Yes, but when you upload the different base map's to the ECU you get different features and tables. I.e. if i upload a Vtec base onto my evo ECU i get Vtec tables etc.

Franza1

Supermoderator & Area Reps Manager
it wouldn't me as simple as changing the map, Far from it infact.

there are hundreds of differences between different Standard ECU's which goes the same for the Power FC unit. different limits for Water Temperature Signal, Pressure Intake Manifold Signal, Intake Air Temperature Signal, Ignition Feedback from the Ignitor-Coil, Distributor Position, Ignition Timing, Distributor Crank Angle reading, Oxygen Sensor (Lambda Sensor) Limits, Injector Pulse Signals, limits and impedance, Throttle Position Sensor Voltage and limits, Knock Sensor Limits and alot more.

so to adapt the EVO unit to work on a starlet you would have to program all of these individually as well as a few hardware changes that would have to be made. It's far more complicated than you think. It's almost exactly like getting an EVO Standard ECU to work on a starlet in fact probably as tricky

Last edited:

"A.P. Engineering Original Power FC units carry the same functions as the regular Power FC units but have been specially adopted for use on car models that the regular Power FCs do not cater for. As they are an item outsourced from Apexi, their pricing is higher than the regular models." - . An example of an "AP Engineering" model is the PowerFC for the r32 gts-t.

AP Engineering versions are no longer available brand new. You need to purchase one second hand if you want to buy one.

jamesgtturbo

Member +
The emanage blue is very good for the price of it, its not just got 5 points of adjustment. With the additional injector and ignition harnesses it has 16x16 mapable tables like the one above from the pfc.

For a starlet they are good enough, 190bhp on a ct9 isn't bad and that was mapped using an emanage blue.;)

190 bhp ? thought it was 189.8bhp :p

Starbus

Member +

We made that power just using a Blitz ECU.

It's a 20x20 on the power FC, but i didn't know you could get a 16x16 on the emanage.

What are these harnesses and where can you get them from?

Starbus

Member +

"A.P. Engineering Original Power FC units carry the same functions as the regular Power FC units but have been specially adopted for use on car models that the regular Power FCs do not cater for. As they are an item outsourced from Apexi, their pricing is higher than the regular models." - . An example of an "AP Engineering" model is the PowerFC for the r32 gts-t.

AP Engineering versions are no longer available brand new. You need to purchase one second hand if you want to buy one.

A lot of word's saying not a lot.

It could be just as simple as them coming with a different base map?

Not everybody has FC edit or something similar. And some people map them using the Commander, these people would need to buy such an ECU from the above people.