Average speed cameras - What am I missing?

Gee

Member +
As some of you may know, there is barrier renewal going on for miles along the M62.

So for my whole 20 mile commute from Huddersfield to Leeds the speed limit is set to 50mph.

Now I see people whizzing a long at at least 70mph and even saw a motorbike bombing it through them all at about 100mph.

So what am I missing? Should these guys all expect speeding tickets through the post?

Its not like they don't know they are there. Construction is going on and there are warning signs everywhere.

I know years back it was said you can change lanes between cameras to fool them, but I think that was proven to be false...so what the hell is going on?

Glanza D

Member +
As some of you may know, there is barrier renewal going on for miles along the M62.

So for my whole 20 mile commute from Huddersfield to Leeds the speed limit is set to 50mph.

Now I see people whizzing a long at at least 70mph and even saw a motorbike bombing it through them all at about 100mph.

So what am I missing? Should these guys all expect speeding tickets through the post?

Its not like they don't know they are there. Construction is going on and there are warning signs everywhere.

I know years back it was said you can change lanes between cameras to fool them, but I think that was proven to be false...so what the hell is going on?

I used to do it reguarly in works cars/vans sit at 80-90mph and never got a single ticket but a mate of mine did it and 1st time got a ticket through post so they may just fine some of them as a warning to others ???

also theres stocksbridge byepass neer here with permenent 60mph average speed check and you can do whatever speed you want in between them as long as your doing 60 through them they never go off and this has been proven with a few people i know

HOWEVER ofcourse if the limit is set to 50 why would you want to do more ;) lol

I think there comes a point when the desire to get home outweighs the fear of a fine.

Motorbikes don't have front numberplates so can just whizz through at any old speed...

GTdan

In The Closet
they cant do bikes as they are forward facing cameras and bikes dont have a plate at the front so they can do what they want.
theres still alot of people that dont know what averge speed cameras mean and its the time calculated over 2 points, not slamming on for each camera and doing 80 between them.
thres also the theory of switching lanes as the camera cant pick you up - how true that is im not sure.

Texx

Super Moderator
Each average speed camera is in a pair. One camera - the entry camera - films your number plate as you enter a controlled zone and starts a timer. When you leave the zone, the exit camera films both your car and its number plate.

If there's a match with the entry camera, your speed is calculated, and if over the speed limit the evidence is passed on to the police.

The average speed cameras - or Specs - are produced by Speed Check Services (SCS) in Camberley and are now installed temporarily at many roadworks sites and also permanently in many areas. The town with the most is Nottingham.

First used in 1999, each pair of Specs is allowed to be positioned any distance from 200m to 10km apart. In practice, most are a few hundred metres apart, says Paul Davey, managing director of SCS.

Critics have accused the cameras of allowing a less complicated dodge - changing lanes. Each pair of cameras covers one lane. So in theory, if you are clocked in the fast lane, and you then changed to the middle lane just before the exit camera, you would not be caught.

But Mr Davey says this would be difficult to pull off, as each section covered has a number of cameras and drivers would not be able to see which one was paired with which.

You might be picked up by entry camera A, speed down to camera B and change lane only to find that that was also an entry camera and that either exit cameras C or D would get you further down the road.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/7048645.stm

AzE_B

Member +
the way iv always looked at it is, the sign sez average speed check NOT camera

iv been thought them a little faster never been fined, but i would never go mad thought them

I_<3_Boost

Member +
As said above Aze, I always read the signs as check not cameras.... however you never know how the law would play that one...

Dan3SGTE

Member +
Ive gone through them pretty fast on a few occasions but normally just stick to it to be safe, but ive never received a ticket as of yet.

Iain@CRD

Lifer
As Texx said mate, they all record the time it takes you to travel from A to B, just a simple speed distance and time thats work out your average.

welshowz

Member +
yeah i gotta put up with some of these on the way to uni each day and the amount of people who hammer it between the cameras and then slam the brakes on as they pass the camera is unreal. id rather not risk it tbh ive always wondered wether the people passing end up receiving fines though

Kelly

Member +
Same here when we travel down the M6 from wigan to southampton as you can expect from the lovely m6 its always ridden with roadworks and average speed camera's and so many cars come flying past me i'd love to know if they ever get caught. Gotta love the end of them though when its back to national speed limit :D

dan_ep82

Member +
i always stick to the speedlimits through roadwork areas, the speed limit is there to make there job safer if anyone gets a fine they deserve it :p

Rossi-GTturbo

Member +
i always drive at 80-90 through the 1s on the a14 and have never been fined my m8s dad has something to do with them n he said they dummy camaras?

Member +

as there are construction workers working there i would like to think that they will be getting tickets.
in newry you used to be able to change lanes and it didn't pick it up, but it has been rectified

addz

Member +
If it's the average speed check cameras then they measure from one point of the camera to another. They are usually seen when roads are undergo, work etc.

I would slow down and follow the limits - at the end of the day it's only fair to as the workers are usually working if not drinking their tea not far off!

Skidz

Fresh Recruit
The ones on the A14 at the moment are a pain in the f*ckin arse!! Been using that road all week, day and night, and I hav'nt seen a single worker. Plus why do they block off 20 mile stretches at a time? Why not just a safe distance on the stretch that they are working on at the time.

Aga

Member +
so, these are front facing cameras eh? why not go the JDM route, with the hinged licence plate, or even a motorised system?