Been Doing A Bit Of Thinking...

As some of you may know i'm still having problems with the starlet

Its puffing oily smelling WHITE smoke at lights, but its clear when driving
And there is an oil leak from gearbox area and around oil filter etc
feels like fuel cut but isn't, engine management light comes on
black soot like spray from exhaust could be oil could be dirty water

Car Drives fine and no problems that way, compression test was carried out
and all cyl's are holding 150 psi no problem

i took the car to hyper tech, bonny bridge and after i told James i ran a catch can without a breather for a short drive without thinking (i know now no snide comments ha ha, every day is a school day) he said i have burst the seals etc crank both sides dizzee and cam and this obviously explains the oil leak.

His diagnosis although right in some respects may be wrong in some fellow members eyes yes the oil leaking will be due to the seals popping BUT this doesn't explain the smoke from the exhaust, although he says if its dripping onto something it shouldn't be then this will be why i am getting periodic puffs of smoke ( hot surface )

My mate charlie (bucket ep91) phoned me the other day and asked if i had primed the turbo, to which my arse dropped and i said "ehh...no" and he says this could be explaining the smoke if the seals have let go due to this however i did turn the engine over by hand before i started it a good few times to check the timing and check again, would this build up enough oil pressure to prime the turbo ? its a brand new wepr tdo4 hybrid, although to be fair before the car was stripped down to replace the head gasket it was doing this with the exhaust with the puffs of smoke, so i'm hoping the turbo will be alright ?

Like many of yous were saying i don't want to spend money replacing the wrong thing i know that fixing the seals wont do any harm to stop the oil drips but i'm taking the car to them due to the smoke from the exhaust and i will have no comeback if when he changes all the seals its still smoking and i imagine it wont be cheap as i think its a gearbox out jobby, also i am going away with work till November and want it fixed before i go as i'm hoping to get it forged when i come home, the only thing i can say is the turbo oil seal but it was doing this before and i cant see the seals letting go on a brand new wepr turbo ? and tbf i cant blame sacha or wepr as this would be my fault not venting the crank pressure so if it turns out to be the turbo iv wasted well not wasted but not really prioritized fixing my problems

is it possible that blown seals COULD cause this ? thanks and sorry for the long post my head is ruined :(

triple j

Member +
it could be turbo oil seals, u could take the down pipe off an have a quick look in at it, if i where u i would leave the car till u get back then give it the forge rebuild, thats if u dont need the car till then man

i know this sounds daft mate but i kinda wanted it out so i could enjoy it before i go its kind of a ritual i do :(...how would i know if its oil or water though looks the same haha

triple j

Member +
i understand man, u should take a look in at the turbo for bust seals with the downpipe off, the oil would be smokey and water would be like steam from exhaust,

its defo not steam but im sure he woulda said the garage im taking it to build big hp carss civic turbo supra etc had a few starlets up etc...but i sort of ruled out the trbo till now

triple j

Member +
it should be bone dry, if any seals are gone the will let oil through, also check fmic pipe for oil, take it off and have a look in.