best way to replace knock sensor

hello all,

what is the best way to replace the engine knock sensor?

manifold off?
under car?
alternator out?

your experiences please.
thanks

StarletNutter

Member +
attack her from the bottom lad,best way,mite be a bracket or two in the way just whack them out of the way for a bit more room

dac69er

Super Moderator
you can do it without removing anything. but to make things easier, remove the inlet mani support bracket and its a simple job to do from underneath. if your car isnt very low and your slim you might be able to shuffle under without jacking it up, or just do it redneck style and drive half the car onto the curb and that should give you the room ;)

did it last night woohoo.

3x 12mm bolts on the manifold bracket
27mm for the sensor

hardest aprt getting the bracket off with only 1.5ft space under the car and not having a pair of t-rex arms lol.

cheers chaps

dac69er

Super Moderator
Lol, it NEEDS to be torqued up to work correctly, but it will work if its not.

Riddle me this: why do I get the same knock readings on my car whether I torque the sensor up or just do it tight?

Also, can you explain to me how the knock sensor on a starlet will react differently if it was torqued correctly or not as I can't see how as long as its not wrenched up silly tight or left loose!

Rev

Member +
Riddle me this: why do I get the same knock readings on my car whether I torque the sensor up or just do it tight?
The weather !

The sensor would not react differently but may hear softer sound than it gets with firm and full contact.

Cold weather gives plenty of knock but when fainter knock occurs I guess a loose sensor wouldn't know.

dac69er

Super Moderator
The weather !

The sensor would not react differently but may hear softer sound than it gets with firm and full contact.

Cold weather gives plenty of knock but when fainter knock occurs I guess a loose sensor wouldn't know.

That is the wrong way round, you tend to get more knock when it's hot.

Whether it's torqued up or not won't make any difference to that, as long as it's done up tight