Brake Disc moving !!

turbogirl

Fresh Recruit
My car has been making a scoring noise when a drive and especially when i go on long left bends. I jacked up my car today to see if anything was rubbing. But i noticed that my drivers side brake disc moves but the nut is solid that it sits on. Could it be my wheel bearing or something worse? Please help

durmz

Member +
when the wheels off the brake disk can move as far as im aware, the only thing holding it there is the brake caliper with the pads, and then the wheel nuts when u put the wheel back on.

as for the noise, sounds like some shit (sand or a small stone) on ure brakes

Glanza Gaz

Member +
When your wheel is off, your brake disc should be able to move a bit (within the caliper) especially if it's new. The scoring sound you mentioned makes me think it's your pads wearing out as when this happens the metal wear marker clips start making an annoying screetching/scoring sound as they scrape on the disc. Same thing happened to me about a month or two back, the noise was doing my head in!! Just check how much wear is on your pads

madman

Member +
check that the steel covers behind the disc's are not touching the disc also your brake pads could be shagged aswel which it sounds like to me

durmz

Member +
the disc moves when the wheel is on? :eek:

somethings wrong there. how tight are your wheel nuts?

turbogirl

Fresh Recruit
I checked the brake pads there is loads on. I checked the guards there not touching and there is no muck on them. Its just the drivers side that moves?? The noise is doing my head in :mad:

kieran.s gt

Member +
I checked the brake pads there is loads on. I checked the guards there not touching and there is no muck on them. Its just the drivers side that moves?? The noise is doing my head in :mad:

when the wheel is on does it still move in and out sounds like a wheel bearing

Glanza Gaz

Member +

Is the hub moving with it then??? Either that or your disc is suffering some serious corrosion on the face where it should make contact with the hub orrrr theres something behind the face stopping it mating up correctly. Might be worth taking the disc off and having a look

turbogirl

Fresh Recruit
I think i know what it is the disc has broken away from the hub !! So i best go buy some new discs. But thanks for all your help :)

Glanza Gaz

Member +
I think i know what it is the disc has broken away from the hub !! So i best go buy some new discs. But thanks for all your help :)

the disc Isnt fixed to the hub itself it should be just compressed onto the face of the hub by the wheel.

Remove the disc and check the face of it to check for a damaged or uneven surface AND check to see if the hub moves also!!

Last edited:

glanzaphil

Fresh Recruit
i just uprated my disc and pads front and back with new bearings and exactly the same thing is happening to mine, when i turn left theres a scoring noise cant be the bearings or the pads coz there brand new