Coilover Dampening Adjuster Stuck

Djaniero

Member +
As above guys, my front drivers side allen key dampening adjuster on my Meister R's seems to be stuck. (Can remove it but it won't turn clockwise to hard)

I previously had all dampers set to soft all around. Then over the weekend my front shock started to knock - sounded like it was coming from the top mount - so I literally just tightened the main 17mm top nut and the noise went away.

Fast forward to today, I decided to make my suspension a bit more firm and I can't turn the allen adjuster to hard. I can remove it no worries, but once its inserted into the shock it just won't move. I removed the coilover, put a 5mm allen key in the top of the shock and loosened off the 17mm nut - I'm no expert but thought it may help as thats the only thing I adjusted prior to this happening.

Any ideas?

Thanks

SWJ

Hmmm I'am of two schools of thought. First plan pull it off ( you'd need an alignment, most likely to reinstall ... unless you mark the sittings carefully so you can put everything back to where it was and then have them "check" the alignment to make sure, it's all good.

But unit in hand, take a rubber mallet and pound on it a bit, to see if "something jammed??" And maybe that can break it lose?? Plan B ... call the company and ask them (first??)

Djaniero

Member +
Thanks for the quick reply SWJ. The car has only recently been put back on the road and I was supposedly going for a geo setup later in the week so wanted to adjust my ride height and dampening prior to this.
Just really strange as it was working fine until I tightened the top nut.

SWJ

Hmm those guys are over herein NA?? I thought they were in the UK??? But OK ... plan C! Back to basics as it were ... keep it on the car undue the change you made, when you tightened it down and then hit the top with a rubber mallet and see if that can un-stick it??

SKINY

Lifer
I'd be in favour off the rubber mallet and wd40 route too if you work back and that dont work :)

Reactions: SWJ

SWJ

Yeah ... wish I'd have thought of it wayyy back in the day1 I jacked up one of the rear Red Koni shocks on my 944 N/A. You pulled them off push in and twist to change the setting and one of them got stuck?? So I had to match the good one to the stuck one, PIA.

My 89 Turbo S is fully adjustable coil overs from and back double adjustable. I have had it about 12 years and most of that time it's been on jack stands "non motor related" .... another story. But in all that time ... I have never changed those settings! I plan to change the spring rate by a lot! If it works ... I'll have to set the shocks to full soft!

And if it works ... softer rate (helper) springs for the stiffer main springs. Then I'll do the same for the Tercel. I did the cheap ebay coil overs for it to drop it. And it did that and corners flat and handles great!! Buttt it truly rides like well, a "Dump Truck!" It will literally beat the crap out of you on bumpy roads! And god forbid a mid corner bump!!!!

But hey on the back roads and even with it's original ,sigh smoke blowing 3ee ...it was a blast! It made just enough power to make it fun! But not so much as to try and kill you! We luv'd, small tight traffic circles!! Good times, good times. :)