CP Pistons

Phil

Super Moderator
Using CP pistons in my engine and they slap pretty hard lol

maybe just not built to the tightest tolerances (not built by Chris)

Phil

triple j

Member +
A lot of the sr20 guys use them, my mate has them in his sr20 and no problems what so ever with 380bhp, the never slap.

Rob H

Member +
I have never used them but I know a few that run them with no problems at all but the slap is more down to the machining rather than the piston its self.

elison

Member +
I think i could say that CP i a super quality piston. I have seen mane big hp builds using CP's. I was doing the same research when i gone forged. Many said that its is a superior choice for our ep's and some said that they could pretty loud. I ended up with wossner due the fact that i was able to get my hands on a set pretty easy.

hkspower

Member +
I almost always Used ARIAS pistion an all the builds and never had any problems and are not loud nose almost as std engine..

Skalabala

Member +
Wiseco usually have the best piston to wall clearance.
The other brands are forged to take 100000hp Useless in our engines :D
Wiseco can go with 60 micron clearance :) will sound stock and they will handle whatever amount of money you have for a turbo.

We use these on all our 2jz and 3sgte engines and never had issue. Some are pushing 1000bhp. There ran by panki racing which makes all the pistons for nascar, indycar and topfuel drag cars

Tim
Tb developments

Skalabala

Member +
We use these on all our 2jz and 3sgte engines and never had issue. Some are pushing 1000bhp. There ran by panki racing which makes all the pistons for nascar, indycar and topfuel drag car

Hi bud :)
Do you perhaps have the metallurgy spec sheet of new CP? I know the older CP etc had a really low content of silicon.
Wiseco has been using a good amount of it for a long time now.

silica content will depend on the application its being used in. but clerances typically out the box there 0.035" and are basically silent. although i have in the past played with some high silica versions for sub 400bhp 3sgte's and daily drive running 0.012" so very tight, even more than oem

Tim
TB Developments

Skalabala

Member +
Sheesh! That is a big gap! If its on small bores that is. It will be noisy in small bores when cold.
30 microns is just awesome!!! 2.0L 400hp!! Cool man!

So how does one go about if they want more silica in their CP 4EFTE pistons?
Thinks its better to go with wiseco. And think they are on ebay

thats about average gap to be honest mate. its about material specs not the in relation to the bores. Wiseco are a higher silicon at 0.027" but that negligible to be honest. compared to the older style ross pistons which people used to favour at 0.060"

Tim
TB Developments

Skalabala

Member +
Yes that is average on forged pistons these days. But the typo had me there :haha:
0.035" is 0.89mm :eek: Haha! 0.0035" is 89 micron :)

I still think Wiseco is good for the price, especially for low powered engines ~350hp
Although I have seen Wiseco hold 3bar boost on Toyota 4ag(680whp) and 3sgte.

Do you feel CP is a better product for the price Tim?

haha yeah sorry, lack of sleep.

for the 4efte i feel CP don't have alot of experience with them as they would be made on special order, where as with the 3sgte and the 2jz they have alot of history and experience, so for those engines i would only go with CP.

i've not had alot of experience with wiseco but the last 4e i built used wiseco's from the USA and i'm not overly happy with there performance, They are noticeable on idle with a small amount of piston slap when the revs drop to 800rpm. and when i spoke to them about information on there design they weren't very forthcoming.

I'm going to start trying wossner pistons for my 4e builds now as they come with a nice teflon skirt coating to keep the quiet and a high silica value to also help the noise.

Tim
TB Developments

Skalabala

Member +
Yes I agree. 2j and 3s
Lots of people do not know this but the smaller the bore the more difficult it is to keep the piston quiet.(less skirt area to dampen the slap)
There is actually a formula for this. Almost like the ring gap one but more math.

The Wossner sounds like a good idea!
I know for a fact that a teflon coating helps with smaller bore engines :)

Why don't they just fit teflon inserts :p Like buttons, I can actually see it working :D Probably not cost effective! Haha!

PS, 2J does do 750whp on stock internals. Used to use toyota 4Y rings.
Don't even know why people forge them.

well i know of 750bhp flywheel at that power and being run as daily drives. I'm building my own supra at 600bhp flywheel with totally stock internals. 1.5bar boost pressure seems to be totally reliable :)

People forge them because they like to hit that 1000bhp+ range. Or run high 2 bar boost pressures on smaller turbos.

But for me 600bhp is about right, otherwise your fighting with it the entire time, and 600bhp is basically some fuelling, ecu and a turbo upgrade as your there.

Tim
TB Developments

sx_turbo

Lifer
from experience the wossners arent very quiet.

but i think its all dependent on the guy who builds it, the guy who built mine shit himself when i said i was gonna put 24psi through it, and he thought it was gonna be to much on such small big ends and bore size, so i can only assume he made the clearances larger. still it lasted over 10k miles just rattled mainly when cold.

if i were ever to do it all again, i would build it myself