Cross Thread Chassis Bolt

davehart

Member +
As ever, no job goes right when I have a crack, always something else to fix.

Putting an anti lift kit on today.

Managed to cross thread one of the mounting holes where the chassis bush bolts on.

Obviously I can't take it anywhere because the suspension is off so who can fix this thread for me?

dac69er

Super Moderator
If you have just cross threaded it, run a tap through it to clean and sort the thread out , get a new bolt or run a die down the original bolt and your sorted.

davehart

Member +
The bolt is fine its just the thread that's mushed up.

I'll hopefully have an hour after work in the day light to take the arm off and have a good look up there to see how damaged the threads are.

nistarbo

Member +
I would say run the appropriate tap in there with cutting fluid it should be fine. Could probably pic up a basic tap and die set cheap enough

dac69er

Super Moderator
I would say run the appropriate tap in there with cutting fluid it should be fine. Could probably pic up a basic tap and die set cheap enough

i think its a metric fine thread so a standard set would probably be no good. its a common size on the car so maybe worth just buying the correct tap as it could be handy to keep in the toolbox for another time.

davehart

Member +
Not sure on the thread size but its one of the 14mm bolts for the suspension arm bushing. Any idea what size tap to get?

davehart

Member +
Time and patience is something I should learn :)

The state of play.....

1463025_726277694159337_8698130050543092543_n.jpg

It wobbles around but wont pull out.

Gryzor

Admin
If the captive nut has come away from its weld, time to lift the carpets and possibly cut a hole. the same happened me on the p/s.

dac69er

Super Moderator
i managed to attack it from the bottom.

i drilled 2 holes either side of where the captive nut was. welded it in place through the holes. got the bolt out. retapped the captive nut. ground the welds flat. job done.

easier that going from the top in my case as it was the rear engine mount bolt!

davehart

Member +
If the captive nut has come away from its weld, time to lift the carpets and possibly cut a hole. the same happened me on the p/s.

I think that is what has happened here.

i managed to attack it from the bottom.

i drilled 2 holes either side of where the captive nut was. welded it in place through the holes. got the bolt out. retapped the captive nut. ground the welds flat. job done.

easier that going from the top in my case as it was the rear engine mount bolt!

That's a good little trick. I'll be loading it off to a garage to do as I've not tools to do that kind of job.

I need to really invest in a good ramp for home :)

Skalabala

Member +
When it comes to a turbocharged car I will not take chances on a suspension bolt. Especially when you say it wobbles around.
But are you saying that the bolt keeps turning and does not go out or in?

dac69er

Super Moderator
When it comes to a turbocharged car I will not take chances on a suspension bolt. Especially when you say it wobbles around.
But are you saying that the bolt keeps turning and does not go out or in?

read above. the captive nut has snapped inside the chassis. its being repaired

davehart

Member +
It's repaired :)

Had to cut a hole in the floor, take out the old nut and weld a new one on.

Handles feckin amazing now though!