CV Gaitors

KrissyB

Member +
Hi people had a mission today as both my CV gaitors need replacing before I can MOT the car, however the Drive shaft will not seperate from the Hub and Boy did I try every method.

All the nuts and bolts were removed so I could swing the drive shaft away from the Hub once I had undone the main nut and removed the split pin, but once that was removed it sill didnt budge even whacking it with a hammer didnt work, heating it up etc etc etc every method tried

Any ideas or the same problems and I cant remove the drive shafts from the Hubs and its very annoying.:( or is there a special way to do this.

Cheers Kris

Monkfish

Member +
You can get hub pullers from your local motor factors. Failing that, you'll have to remove the shaft and fit the CV boot on from the inner end.

:)

supernova

Member +
i had big difficulties getting the hub off the driveshaft too. You really need a lump hammer and whack really hard!

dac69er

Super Moderator
probably easier from the gearbox end of the shaft. that end more or less falls apart once the gaitor is removed.

Nwimie

Member +
im glad im not the only one who struggles to get the shaft out the hub!! both of mine were so jammed in there only a press could get them out.