decent car cover?

MarcoGTTurbo

Member +
mate to be honest Ive never heard of one! I live in Australia and even when its dry heat I still get mould grown or something....I really think its down to how u use it...ie if u take it off for a few days etc and rotate etc. Ive had a cheap one and one that came with a dodge viper....both did exactly same whether inside or outside?.......Im assuming your car will be in IRE so conditions will be more damp?

Last edited:

dac69er

Super Moderator
your best bet would be to park it out of the sun. wash and wax it before leaving it. i have used a car cover in the past and personally i think it did more harm than good.

for indoor use a cheap dust cover would be fine. will just keep that layer of dust from building up on the car over time.

Johnny_C

Lifer
mate to be honest Ive never heard of one! I live in Australia and even when its dry heat I still get mould grown or something....I really think its down to how u use it...ie if u take it off for a few days etc and rotate etc. Ive had a cheap one and one that came with a dodge viper....both did exactly same whether inside or outside?.......Im assuming your car will be in IRE so conditions will be more damp?

it will be garaged though,fingers crossed,lol!

your best bet would be to park it out of the sun. wash and wax it before leaving it. i have used a car cover in the past and personally i think it did more harm than good.

for indoor use a cheap dust cover would be fine. will just keep that layer of dust from building up on the car over time.

i think im going to go for one of these.
http://www.carcoversireland.ie/Stormforce-Car-Cover/

seem to get decent enough reviews.

Vincent-ep91

Member +
if your car is outside, and wind blows against the cover, it can erode the paint.
Thats what happened my livesport spoiler out at the edges of the rear part.....

The one i have is called "carplan", which seems good. But before you lock it up for the last time (que the tears:cool:) clean everywhere really well, this will help limit the mould growth....

Guye

Lifer
I left my corolla under a cover for a few months. It was cleaned and waxed before it was laid up. Somehow, moisture accumulated under the cover from heavy rain or dew and the result was rust. I cleaned it and left it out in the open and all I had to do was hose it off once a week to keep the dust under control. I will not use a car cover long term again.

Texx

Super Moderator
IMO car covers are very bad, not only do they destroy the paintwork but prolonged use will result in an interior covered in mold. If the car is being garaged then my advice is to give it a good clean and wax then lock it away with the windows down slightly. It's much easier to wash the dust off the paintwork than clean off all the crap that starts to grow when the car is left covered up.

Johnny_C

Lifer
if your car is outside, and wind blows against the cover, it can erode the paint.
Thats what happened my livesport spoiler out at the edges of the rear part.....

The one i have is called "carplan", which seems good. But before you lock it up for the last time (que the tears:cool:) clean everywhere really well, this will help limit the mould growth....

I left my corolla under a cover for a few months. It was cleaned and waxed before it was laid up. Somehow, moisture accumulated under the cover from heavy rain or dew and the result was rust. I cleaned it and left it out in the open and all I had to do was hose it off once a week to keep the dust under control. I will not use a car cover long term again.

IMO car covers are very bad, not only do they destroy the paintwork but prolonged use will result in an interior covered in mold. If the car is being garaged then my advice is to give it a good clean and wax then lock it away with the windows down slightly. It's much easier to wash the dust off the paintwork than clean off all the crap that starts to grow when the car is left covered up.

you have put me off the car cover lads,lol!

ill see if i can get it stored somewhere for good over the weekend,maybe just have a dust sheet over it.

Keenoep82

Fresh Recruit

Uness of course you're willing to shell out £££ for a custom made breathable fabric one...

STARLET N/A

Member +
to get a decent one its a lot of money, they are lined with a soft material on the inside and are water proof.

only top of the range manufactures use them when storing cars,

prices start i believe at £165, expensive if you ask me.

96v

Member +
I got one from a car show I went to, its breathable and is made out of some new fabric that doesn't allow moisture build up on the car :)

Cost me a show price of just £80 :)