Electrical knowledge needed

I am looking for a live to switch a relay to power an electric power steering pump. I need the pump to come on after the engine is running. Thanks in advance.

Peter

lukep

Member +
Use the alternator light circuit to activate the ps pump relay. The wire from the alt to the battery warning light is neg when the engine is not running and live when the engine is running.

Reactions: Jay

dac69er

Super Moderator
Yeah that's what happens in all power steering systems electrical or belt.

my girlfriends panda has electric power steering and the steering remains powered for a few seconds once the ignitions is turned off. i didnt know if this was a safety related feature or something?

the difference between hydraulic power steering working or not working doesnt seem to be as much of a difference as electric, so if the hydraulic steering stopped working most people wouldnt struggle as much with the change in heaviness to be able to control the car if there was a failure.

just a thought as i assumed the "run on" of the electric steering was done for a reason on newer cars?

Does the pump continue to run or is it residual pressure in the system? Having the pump run only when the alternator is charging is more important to me as I only have a small race battery and my car is not a daily drive. I do have a timing relay and I could wire something up using a normally closed relay but it would be to much extra work and complication for something that is not really needed. You only need power steering when your at slow speeds anyway.

dac69er

Super Moderator
Does the pump continue to run or is it residual pressure in the system? Having the pump run only when the alternator is charging is more important to me as I only have a small race battery and my car is not a daily drive. I do have a timing relay and I could wire something up using a normally closed relay but it would be to much extra work and complication for something that is not really needed. You only need power steering when your at slow speeds anyway.
It's electric directly on the rack. Not an electric pump.
If you just want to use an electric pump then that makes things far easier