engine consuming lot of oil after been rebuilt

jam

Member +
Hi,please help I just rebuilt my engine with brand new wiseco 74.5mm freshly rebore block and have run 1500km on low rev to keep engine smooth. I notice every 150km distance done I must add 1/2 liter of oil and engine didn`t smoke at all and no leak. I did a compression test and I got 160psi in almost all 4 cylinders but see drops of oil coming up from 2nd cylinders any ideas or solution are welcome.please advice.Thanks

turboflow

Member +
if u drove it at low revs for the entire 1500km then thats your problem. the rings have been bed in properly. most likely to be burning it off mate. this worked for me as mine were not perfectly warn in, use this at your own risk and i dont know if its actually wise or not. i put mineral oil back in it and ragged the arse off of it every where is went for a month and then when returning to normal oil it stopped (at least seems to have anyway). if something like this does not work and it is your rings then you will need to strip it down get new rings and rehone the block and start the run in again

jam

Member +
if u drove it at low revs for the entire 1500km then thats your problem. the rings have been bed in properly. most likely to be burning it off mate. this worked for me as mine were not perfectly warn in, use this at your own risk and i dont know if its actually wise or not. i put mineral oil back in it and ragged the arse off of it every where is went for a month and then when returning to normal oil it stopped (at least seems to have anyway). if something like this does not work and it is your rings then you will need to strip it down get new rings and rehone the block and start the run in again

Thanks for the info brother some people told me to put 20w50 oil in to reduce oil consumption or done another 500km to 2000km at low rev until the ring bed in properly.I think the compression ring and block are ok as I have good 160psi in each cylinders Whats your opinion.Thanks

somal

Member +
Hi,please help I just rebuilt my engine with brand new wiseco 74.5mm freshly rebore block and have run 1500km on low rev to keep engine smooth. I notice every 150km distance done I must add 1/2 liter of oil and engine didn`t smoke at all and no leak. I did a compression test and I got 160psi in almost all 4 cylinders but see drops of oil coming up from 2nd cylinders any ideas or solution are welcome.please advice.Thanks

have u done head work also ?

jam

Member +
have u done head work also ?

yes ported and polish head with new valve seals genuine toyota. I wonder its the valve seal but after compression test am sure the seal does leak as I would have CR drop.any idea whats the problem its a real headache.

billybob

Untrusted Seller
if you drove the car round at low revs then the rings didnt bed in right,,also who gapped the rings and what did he gap them at?

somal

Member +
yes ported and polish head with new valve seals genuine toyota. I wonder its the valve seal but after compression test am sure the seal does leak as I would have CR drop.any idea whats the problem its a real headache.

sure u suppose to see alittle amount of smoke, little puffs, check it good for oil leaks, front and back end seals etc

jam

Member +
if you drove the car round at low revs then the rings didnt bed in right,,also who gapped the rings and what did he gap them at?

hi,thanks for your reply I gap the ring myself according to wiseco installation chart I gap all 4 same way but I notice in 2nd cylinder there are drops of oil coming up no enough to emerge the spark plugs and I didn`t get engine choke as somal said there are a little white smoke not all the time especially when I accelerate hard then let go the pedal a little white smoke from exhaust not as much can hardly be seen.

350ep70gr

Member +
Have you cross the rings properly? Any damage when install them in?
Could be the expander of the oil ring overcome to the end?
Slow revs isnt the proper way to bed them in and now it is too late for reverse this proccess.

Chris

billybob

Untrusted Seller
Slow revs isnt the proper way to bed them in and now it is too late for reverse this proccess.

Chris

as chris said how did you cross the rings

jam

Member +

Chris

I done RPM 2000 on first 100-400 km then gradually increase rev to 200 rev each 100km done on 800km I rev to 3000rpm now am 1500km rev to 5000 rpm and upwards. I correctly butted tips of the oil ring to prevent incorrect overlap of the oil ring I suppose if the rings tips are not correctly butted with each other it won`t fit into the cylinders and cant even drop in the cylinders am I right?

350ep70gr

Member +
I done RPM 2000 on first 100-400 km then gradually increase rev to 200 rev each 100km done on 800km I rev to 3000rpm now am 1500km rev to 5000 rpm and upwards. I correctly butted tips of the oil ring to prevent incorrect overlap of the oil ring I suppose if the rings tips are not correctly butted with each other it won`t fit into the cylinders and cant even drop in the cylinders am I right?

If the midle one of the oil ring (gold colored) is overlap ends then will fit inside the bore but it will not work properly.
Have you cross the rest rings each other so the end gaps are not aligned each other?
For sure it is a wrong brake in method but the oil drops from the second cylinder is something deeper i d say.

Chris

jam

Member +
If the midle one of the oil ring (gold colored) is overlap ends then will fit inside the bore but it will not work properly.
Have you cross the rest rings each other so the end gaps are not aligned each other?
For sure it is a wrong brake in method but the oil drops from the second cylinder is something deeper i d say.

Chris

http://www.wiseco.com/PDFs/Manuals/RingEndGap.pdf here is the link for the ring gap I have done exactly as shown on diagram.

jam

Member +

Chris

what you mean by deeper you mean the rings could be broken? if its broken there should be a slapping noise inside the block isn`t it? please advice

350ep70gr

Member +
what you mean by deeper you mean the rings could be broken? if its broken there should be a slapping noise inside the block isn`t it? please advice

Could be oil ring snap or stressed mate.(this dosent give a noise). It is just what you say about oil drops that conserns me more as it isnt logical. The only way that oil can come up from the piston is the rings.(the other way is from upstairs from valve stem seals.) I cant be sure what the fault is tho..if it is ring end gap,or broken or exxessive clearence.
At the comp test was the number two the higher reading?
When you put the seals on do they go tight and clip properly?

Chris

jam

Member +
Could be oil ring snap or stressed mate.(this dosent give a noise). It is just what you say about oil drops that conserns me more as it isnt logical. The only way that oil can come up from the piston is the rings.(the other way is from upstairs from valve stem seals.) I cant be sure what the fault is tho..if it is ring end gap,or broken or exxessive clearence.
At the comp test was the number two the higher reading?
When you put the seals on do they go tight and clip properly?

Chris

Thanks for your reply mate here are the reading
1st cylinders 160 psi
2nd 160 psi (oil leaking one)
3rd 159 psi
4th 160 psi
I have use genuine toyota valve seal but when port and polish the valve guide hole has been scratch a bit with the grinding tools do you think this might be the problem. if the valve seal not holding pressure I would have loose CR in 2nd cylinders isn`t it?

350ep70gr

Member +
Thanks for your reply mate here are the reading
1st cylinders 160 psi
2nd 160 psi (oil leaking one)
3rd 159 psi
4th 160 psi
I have use genuine toyota valve seal but when port and polish the valve guide hole has been scratch a bit with the grinding tools do you think this might be the problem. if the valve seal not holding pressure I would have loose CR in 2nd cylinders isn`t it?

I would expect a bit higher reading on the cylinder with the oil prob.
Or could be a ring prob and the oil rising the comp to 160 psi.
I assume that you scratch the part of the guide wich is in the ports so no prob from there.
The valve stem seals has no effect to comp mate. It is just to hold the oil in the head and not passing throu the valve stem to the ports and to the chamber if intake or exhaust pipes if exhaust side.
I guess something is wrong with the rings or intake side valve seals.

Chris

jam

Member +
I would expect a bit higher reading on the cylinder with the oil prob.
Or could be a ring prob and the oil rising the comp to 160 psi.
I assume that you scratch the part of the guide wich is in the ports so no prob from there.
The valve stem seals has no effect to comp mate. It is just to hold the oil in the head and not passing throu the valve stem to the ports and to the chamber if intake or exhaust pipes if exhaust side.
I guess something is wrong with the rings or intake side valve seals.

Chris

am also thinking one of these problems but I pray god that its only the seals that has gone its a real headache to open the engine again its a waste of time and money.Do you think I can re use the cylinder head gasket metal one from speed vision.please advice.Thanks

jam

Member +
if happens the rings has been wrongly install can I re use the same ring and install them correctly will my problem will be solve? for now is it safe to run the car and boost the engine to 1bar.Please let me know.Thanks

350ep70gr

Member +
Some had reuse metal gaskets with no prob at all. I would never tho..
Rings should be renew them again.
Have you install them dot or letter up side?
I dont see why you want to boost an engine that shows some probs.You may do more damage mate. Its better to investigate fast what causing your oil consuption.;) Then you can boost it safely enough.

Chris