Fans not working, help!!!

mccann

Fresh Recruit
was parked up talking to my mate after a 20 minute drive and ran over to the shop, when i came out of the shop i noticed fluid pissing out of the bottom of the car and noticed it was radiator fluid, and the over flow was literally boiling, im putting this down to the fans because they wont seem to come on and the air con "auto, high and low switch wont turn on the air con either, i dnt know if these r linked, are they? and does any1 have any ideas on what could be wrong? also just got a new clutch fitted this morning if that has any links to this problem because the fans and aircon were both working before new clutch
? rep will be given because at this point im desperate.

Last edited:

dac69er

Super Moderator
take it back to whoever fitted the clutch.

can you see any plugs that are not connected, and sensor plugs or the fan itself? where does the temperature gauge sit when it was overflowing everywhere?

if everything looks ok try unplugging the white plug on the thermostat housing. should bring the fan on.

weeJohn

Lifer
Sounds like plugs not fitted right onto the thermo housing or the fan itself or wires nipped when the box/starter motor went back on.

mccann

Fresh Recruit
the temp gauge stays at half way when its boiling over. so should i disconnect the thermostat plug and then what happens? should the fans go on straight away if they r still working?

dac69er

Super Moderator
yes. disconnect the white single wire plug from the thermostat housing and the fan should come straight on.

dac69er

Super Moderator
either with it running or with just the ignition on. not sure about the aircon. get the fan working first

weeJohn

Lifer
the temp gauge stays at half way when its boiling over. so should i disconnect the thermostat plug and then what happens? should the fans go on straight away if they r still working?

Air con fan is a different signal to switch it, but its not going to affect the cooling system boiling over. As soon as you disconnect that plug with the ignition key at position 2 the rad fan should come on. If its not then you need to check that circuit. There is a componect that is built into the air con system that needs to remain fitted when the air con is removed to keep the rad fan working, its fitted to an air con pipe around the front passenger side headlight, check the plug is on it as well.

Is the water overflowing at the coolant resevoir when the temp gauge is half way? If so it could be a blown head gasket that is causing your problems.