Fitting Front Pads, Discs & Braided Hoses *

Jay

Admin
Originally posted by Ryno
hiya guys, fitted my Braided lines, 3G Discs & Mintex Extreme Pads today, thought I would make a tutorial while I was at it. :)

okay a few things first, this is how I fitted my lines, discs & pads to my '93 EP82, if you feel I have left something out or feel you would like to add anything then please feel free to U2U me.

secondly this was my first time fitting lines, discs & pads so bare with me lol

okay to begin with, the tools I used for the job:
14mm spanner
10 " "
12 " "
17 " "
4 " "
Mole Grips
G-Clamp
Brake Bleeding kit
Jack
bit of wood
Axle Stand
small brush
WD40
x2 Cable Ties
small tub

Here's a few pics of the parts,

Braided Lines:
DSC01100.jpg

3G 10 groove Discs:
DSC01104.jpg

Mintex Extreme Pads:
DSC01101.jpg

Right, now we are all tooled up and ready to start, here's a before pic:

DSC01092.jpg

First off you need to jack the car up, this might seem a bit patronizing to some, but hey it's my tutorial :p

Make sure you loosen your wheel nuts before jacking.

Here's how I jacked up my GT:

DSC01097.jpg

note the bit of wood distributing the weight & alloy under the car incase something goes wrong.

Here's where I put the Axle Stand:

DSC01093.jpg

Now it's safe to take the wheel off.

Braided Lines

Right, onto the fitting of the lines, this is a pic of what the Std Lines look like.

DSC01102.jpg

These are the two places that the Lines are connected.

DSC01106.jpg

DSC01109.jpg

before you undo them, give them a spray with WD40 and a scrub with a small brush to get rid of any crap that might fall into the new lines. like so.

DSC01110.jpg

DSC01111.jpg

Before you undo anything at this stage I put down some cardboard and got my small tub at the ready for any drips.

start off by undoing the caliper bolt, this is with a 14mm spanner, clockwise.

DSC01113.jpg

once this is off I clamped the line with the Mole Grips to stop the line dripping.

I then put the washers on the new lines and gave then a little brake fluid for lube.

DSC01114.jpg

attach this end to the end you have just taken off so that when the other end is taken off your ready to put it straight on with little mess.

Now you need to remove the little Circlip I’m pointing too,

DSC01115.jpg

looks like this when off,

DSC01116.jpg

then use the 17mm spanner to hold the line still and undo the other side with a 10mm spanner, clockwise.

replace with new lead and tighten up.

I found with the circlip that when I went to replace it, the gap on the new lines was a little larger, so I put a little kink in it as you'll see in the next pic for a snug fit.

DSC01117.jpg

Lines are now done. :D

DSC01118.jpg

Discs & Pads

Right, onto the discs & pads, what I did first was to undo the top bolt with a 12mm spanner, clockwise.

DSC01119.jpg

this then drops down so that you can remove the old pads, keeping hold of the metal shims,

DSC01120.jpg

Then undo the x2 bolts that hold on the caliper with a 17mm spanner, clockwise.

with this the old disc should just pull off, might need a little tap.

DSC01124.jpg

then on with the new sexy discs.

DSC01125.jpg

Next you need to push the piston back in on the caliper, for this I used a G-Clamp. (use something like a bit of wood to avoid any damage to the piston)

DSC01130.jpg

then put the caliper back on.

now put the metal shims onto the new pads, using the clips provided for the front pad.
(note on the Mintex Extreme pads there's an adhesive strip to stick to these, so make sure you clean them first)

DSC01138.jpg

(also note your hands shouldn't be covered in grease when handling the pads :p)

Put the new pads in and reassemble,

DSC01139.jpg

note, the grooves in these discs are directional and can go either way, decide before you fit them which way you'd like them, I changed my mind after fitting so they now look like this.

DSC01141.jpg

(note: i used cable ties to secure the lines to the D2 metal bit to keep the lines clear because they wouldn't stay)

then bleed the whole system, using either 4DOT or 5.1DOT.

take a photo :D

now replace Alloys

DSC01143.jpg

(note: now follow the bedding in instructions provided with the Pads)

Hope this helps a few of you guys. :)

Ryan

Cheers for that Ryan. :)