Gear Linkage bushes / gear selector bushes

JAMIE@JSP

Fresh Recruit
hi everyone, im new to starlets/glanzas, ive had toyota mr2's and celicas before but i want to know if this car is the same.

on the end of the gear selector/linkages theres a rubber and brass bush, now is this the same size as the mr2 and celica ones??

usualy people replace them with roller bearings but i want to know if these are the same as you use on the starlet/glanza.

i see some listed on ebay but never sure if they are correct or not.

damussi

Member +
yes they are i got a set and they fit quite well

DSC00973.jpg

Last edited:

Jay

Admin
Just a small quandary chap, what would JSP stand for?

Jap-spec-performance perchance?

JAMIE@JSP

Fresh Recruit
yes im afraid, but im not here to advertise my wares, im simply trying to enquire if our parts will also fit the starlet as we were asked the question and didnt know if it would or not, i appologies for listing the links above, but just thought your members would like an alternative when that other link was posted.

i thank everyone for their input.

i did try and register as the company name but the site wouldnt let me as i assume it was too long.

Jay

Admin
Not trying to be an arse about it but direct advertising is regularly removed from our tech discussions as it often taints the free flow of information.

By direct advertising I mean the guy posting the link is also selling the link. Certainly if other folk have info or links they can share them with the group. This even applies to our registered traders so don't feel targetted, just upholding the forum rules for the good people of TGTT.

Please do continue using our forums, you may be able to offer insight in many areas, but please refrain from advertising your wares Jamie.

Many thanks,

Jay

Reactions: Fez

JAMIE@JSP

Fresh Recruit
how do the sperical ones effect the gear box synchros with them being solid bushes.

we have done over a year of testing with all types of these from brass ones to bearings to our poly ones.

we found that any of the solid bushes caused premature synchro failure, as they have no mechanical sympathy for the gear and assuming each user can drive correctly.

this has been shown in studdies on the mr2 and celica range, both show premature synchro wear on cars fitted with solid bushes, this is why we were motivated to find an alternative.

JAMIE@JSP

Fresh Recruit
again i dont mean to step on anyones toes, i only want whats best for the cars and the owners.

if i need to buy traders status to continue on this conversation then i will, to keep everyone happy.

JAMIE@JSP

Fresh Recruit
i dont understand your comment, spherical bearings are solid units in the way they have no give or movement where it is required, the only way spherical bearings would be different is that they had a rotational collar but that doesnt effect the bushes or linkages as they only have one axes of motion, and then they just act as a solid unit.

we run solid bushes on our race cars because we need the car to do what we want when we want but it is at the sacrafice of replacing/rebuilding the box now and again.

the race cars that run the poly bushes have yet to have a failure and we have them in 3S-GTE's running in excess of 400bhp and never missing one single change or needing rebuilt, also these are drag cars running 10s so not getting it easy either.

dont get me wrong as i have said i have used solid bushes on our demo mr2's and our current celica gt4 however the synchros on the gt4 started to fail with the solid bushes in place at the last 1/4 mile day, where as shortly after replacing the bushes with the new poly items the car was back to its functional self. the reason being there was not enough give in the shifting system to allow the gears time to mesh safely, with the poly bushes as with the standard items time is given for them to mesh more smoothly and in all of our test cars with worn boxes and crunching gears that were running brass, bearing, or other solid bushes. they were working again after fitting the poly units.

again not slatting anyones products but this was our findings after many many months of research into the issues.

scot-ish

Member +
dont get me wrong as i have said i have used solid bushes on our demo mr2's and our current celica gt4 however the synchros on the gt4 started to fail with the solid bushes in place at the last 1/4 mile day, where as shortly after replacing the bushes with the new poly items the car was back to its functional self. the reason being there was not enough give in the shifting system to allow the gears time to mesh safely, with the poly bushes as with the standard items time is given for them to mesh more smoothly and in all of our test cars with worn boxes and crunching gears that were running brass, bearing, or other solid bushes. they were working again after fitting the poly units.

again not slatting anyones products but this was our findings after many many months of research into the issues.

so with this, your saying, the synchro's started to fail on solid bushes, and by changing back to poly, the synchros became good again? surely then the poly bush is just hiding the same problem?

also from what i read, alot fo your info is based on the time it takes to shift, as youve said "time is given for them to shift more smoothly" surely then, a longer/shorter throw would also have to be taken into consideration with this?