hks fcd and apexi safc II

Corty

Member +
Hi guys
i need help
i have had my safc apexi fitted for a while now but not set up
i have just tried to install a hks fcd but from what i can gather it uses the same wire to splice into on the pressure sensor

i thought ok ill just plug into the apexi then come from that into the fcd then into the ecu

i turned the car over and the diagnostic light has illuminated and stays lit on idle

i turned it off and unplugger the fcd then tried it just with the apexi safc
(its been running like this for months) the light went out again

so where do i plug the fcd into ? is there a different wire or am i splicing the pressure wire wrong?

im doing :
loom pressure wire - apexi pressure sensor wire - apexi ,
then from apexi - pressure sensor wIre out to - hks fcd (YELLOW WIRE)
then into fcd - out via WHITE wire - then into ecu.

im sure this is what the instructions ment but can some1 clarify me on this
cheers in advance

Corty

benGT

Member +
I've done this recently mate and had no EM lights or anything. Made this diagram to make things a little clearer - hope it helps!

SAFCFCDWiringDiagram-2.jpg

From what you've said it looks like you've got the FCD's YELLOW and WHITE wires round the wrong way?

Corty

Member +
yeah cheers for the fast reply ben
ive just been out and analised that with a volt meter
alll seeems ok now
but ill take a copy of that diagram as i have to fit fcd and safc for my mate in a week or 2

that will be a big help!

cheers Corty

thefalls

Member +
this is should be put up in the resolved issues somewhere...
mods...hope someone reads this..
helpful bit of info here.
thanks.

chinaone

Member +
I've done this recently mate and had no EM lights or anything. Made this diagram to make things a little clearer - hope it helps!

SAFCFCDWiringDiagram-2.jpg

From what you've said it looks like you've got the FCD's YELLOW and WHITE wires round the wrong way?

i can see all those wires on the safc. but still have orange, blue, pink purple and gray wire left on my safc?? anyone can tell me what those are?

So the FCD have to be wire near the ecu than safc?

benGT

Member +
orange, blue, pink, and grey are not used for the Starlet as they are for Karmann type pressure sensors. (Skylines use these I think).
The purple wire is the Knock wire and was not included in the SAFC, only on the SAFC II and above.
I'm not sure if it can be used but if you want to give it a go, it should be wired into pin 23 on the above diagram I posted.

And yes, the FCD should be wired nearer to the ECU than the SAFC.

If you understand how the SAFC works and what it actually does everything simply becomes common sense!

chinaone

Member +
orange, blue, pink, and grey are not used for the Starlet as they are for Karmann type pressure sensors. (Skylines use these I think).
The purple wire is the Knock wire and was not included in the SAFC, only on the SAFC II and above.
I'm not sure if it can be used but if you want to give it a go, it should be wired into pin 23 on the above diagram I posted.

And yes, the FCD should be wired nearer to the ECU than the SAFC.

If you understand how the SAFC works and what it actually does everything simply becomes common sense!

Thanks dude, i checked out the manual for the SAFCII, on Pin6 its for rpm2???
What happens if the FCD its on the other side : ECU>SAFC>FCD would anything happen? cos i wired my FCD on the map sensor in the bay.
by looking at your dia looks pretty easy to wire.

benGT

Member +
You dont need to use RPM2, just use the RPM1 pin (PIN 7).

The reason I have wired it SAFC>FCD>ECU is because both the SAFC and FCD need to alter the PIM signal. If you think about it, the FCD leans out the fuel mix by altering this signal and also will not allow this signal to read above 0.85 bar. Therefore if you had it wired ECU>SAFC>FCD, the SAFC would never see a pressure signal above 0.85 bar - pretty much making it useless once you run above this boost.

The way I see it is that the SAFC needs to see the correct, untouched pressure signal from the MAP sensor in order to know exactly what boost the engine is running......the FCD can then adjust the signal further (if needed) before it enters the ECU.

chinaone

Member +
Ben, on the SAFCII booklet, its telling me that the Purple wire should be connected to pin 23(knocking signal) i have SAFCII, Do we need to connect this wire?

Last edited:

HutchGlanzaV

Member +
Just gone out to have a look at mine but can't get the glove box out the way! How the hell does it come out? Do you take the ecu out when you fit the SAFC2 or is it easier to leave it where it is? And 1 more question, I've just seen my FCD for the first time since it was fitted, should it be set to 12?

Cheers peeps.
Hutch.

HYBRID

Super Moderator <a href="http://www.toyotagtturbo.
Just to let u all know that the safc or safc2 will NOT work well with a resistor type fcd aka.. HKS fcd as it modifies the same signal as the safc.. u MUST use a clamp type fcd like the GREDDY or JAM ones.

wireing should be like so:

pressure sensor --> fcd --> safc --> ecu

kon

HutchGlanzaV

Member +
Other people seem to be using them without problem. don't know enough to get all technical though. How do I get the glove box out! And should my fcd be set to 12?

chinaone

Member +
Lucky i have a JAM FCC.
I follow ben diagram and its working fine. still waiting for it to be set up on Rollers.

How do I get the glove box out!
Are you trying to wire in the SAFC? you just need to unplug the harness off the ECU from the driver side and slice into the harness.

HutchGlanzaV

Member +
I see. Cheers dude, I'll have to go take a look tomorrow. My SAFC2 doesn't have a plug on the end, just individual wires, is that right?

HutchGlanzaV

Member +
Cool, cheers dude. I've got 3 days off starting 2morra so I'll have a crack at it then. Dunno when I'll be able to get it on the rollers though. :(

HutchGlanzaV

Member +
I've just gone out to my car with Ben's daigram, i'm proper confused, my FCD is wired in totally different to how it is in the diagram. The red wire (power?) goes to connector 3, the black goes off to pin24 connector1 and the yellow wire goes to pin10 connector1. The white wire is connected to another wire but I don't know which it is. Is my best bet to strip it all out and start from scratch? If I do will i need to reconnect the wires they've cut? Help would be good as this is the only chance I'm gonna get to fit this in the next week or so.

Cheers peeps.

Also when i'm fitting the fcd and safc do I chop the old wire and connect the new wire or do I splice the new wires into the old ones? I hope that makes sense? Basically I'm worried that if I have 2 lots of wires the ecu will get 2 different signals?

Last edited: