how to tell between ep82 and ep91 engines

pilgrim_fgau

Member +
I know my V has had at least one engine replacement, but was wondering if there is anyway of telling if it is a GT or glanza engine? I know about the different rods but are there any other, more easily accessible differences?

rage

Lifer
i know that a gen 1 GTT engine has a silver cam cover.
and there are other tell signs but i can't remember them

lukep

Member +
Gen 1 GTT engine has thicker rods, extra cooling jacket in the head, silver cam cover, a deeper sump and pickup to match, has two nuts and 8 bolts holding the sump on instead of 10 bolts, oil pump has o-ring on the pump, the crank keys for the pulley have different part numbers but when they came the were the same :confused:

Texx

Super Moderator
IIRC the pre 1996 EP82 engine has a coolant port on the back of the head, the later engines don't have this port.

4efte_head_waterjacket_hole.jpg

weeJohn

Lifer
I have used this site to check year manufacture before, maybe if you had a good root around you may find something that can be used. Remember if you are putting a chassis number in, you need a hyphon between the model code (EP82-*****) and the numbers for it to read.

http://www.japan-partner.com/

wildchild

Member +
EP91 has a 4 pin socket on the TPS if im not mistaken. EP82 has a 3 pin socket.
EP91 has 3 sockets on the ECU and EP82 has two.
Anyone knows if the distributor wire sockets the same?

btw i thought that the EP91 engines came with the silver cambelt cover. i hav a GT engine and it has the black cover. a friend of mine has a GT engine and his one is silver and has thicker rods. maybe thats the difference between the CT9A and CT9B turbo setups. an identification mark maybe? almost all the GT's came with black covers and the glanza ones came with the silver. i mean thats wat i thought.

WallaceGlanza

Member +

btw i thought that the EP91 engines came with the silver cambelt cover. i hav a GT engine and it has the black cover. a friend of mine has a GT engine and his one is silver and has thicker rods. maybe thats the difference between the CT9A and CT9B turbo setups. an identification mark maybe? almost all the GT's came with black covers and the glanza ones came with the silver. i mean thats wat i thought.

Glanzas definitely didn't come with silver cam covers.

milly420

Fresh Recruit
my 1994 gt has 8 bolts and 2 nuts it has a that extra cooling jacket silver cam cover and black cambelt cover didnt now about thicker rods thats a bonus

Rev

Member +

EP82 GT - before 12.92 - hole type actuator CT9a. After 12.92 upwards should be a pin type.
All CT9b are pin type actuator the change occurred before 1996 so this change is unrelated to the extra block coolant port.

The ECU numbers do change from from 1996 with the EP91 >

10200 black 3 plug MT ep91 96/01 - 99/07
10210 black 3 plug AT ep91 96/01 - 99/07