Is it just me, or does this really P you off??

milloman

Member +
OK please tell me if i'm being a bit of a grumpy old man here, or if you agree...

People who aren't car enthusiasts... where do they inherit the policy that "new cars are way faster than old cars"??? Let me explain how this came about...

I'm on facebook, and one such person who is in my friends list has her status to this... (please note that she knows full well that i am a car nut!... and she is not!) "xxxxx.... Plus the car I have been given is sooooooooo fast!!!!!!!!"

So i comment on her status...

"Ooooo what car???? and why have u been given it??? :)" - an amicable response and genuine because she has a brand new car herself!

The response...

"Its a vauxhall vectra 2L but its sooooooooo fast so could do ya car in a race believe me!!"

(so it's a hire car)

... I've got a TD04 glanza (ok unmapped, but still pushing 190bhp at the moment!), so you can imagine what was going through my head...!

Part of you really really wants to throw a stone at her leg and tell her she couldn't be more wrong, and that it's just because her brand new car (which was written off, hence the hire car!) is sooooooooo slow that she thinks the 2Ltr Vectra (i've dubbed it "the Gashtra") is an F1 car... but i took the high ground and just humoured her...

Please advise if i'm just being far too quick to get pee'd off, or does non-car enthusiats' ignorance towards modifying cars pee anyone else off?!

This is the chill out room, so i expect you all to tell me to 'Chiiilllll out duuude'!!!

TO82

Member +
Ye its better for people to think its slow, all the more better when you show them it aint ;)

Sean_GT

Member +
You are getting wound up over nothing.

I get that sort of stuff said to me all the time.

I do find it funny and i find the easiest thing to do is smile nod and agree.

There is no point in getting into my cars faster than yours arguments.

milloman

Member +
Its not worry, its boredom on a thursday night :(

I'm just intrigued to see if other find it frustrating too, not my example, but people in general! maybe its because i work with people who are ALL (without fail) at least 10 years older than me, therefore disapprove of your car if it doesn't have the usual safety features and luxury!

Pepper

Fresh Recruit
I completely understand this, I used to drive a Micra which has such a bed rep-lol

Even when i got a 1.3 Turbo Micra so many people went on about how slow it was... so annoying but never let it get to me!

Stephen.

milloman

Member +
Yeah i think its a case of some people get it ALLLL the time and are used to it, but i've never had someone really so blindly say "my car is DEFINATELY faster than yours, BELIEVE me" when they know nothing about cars... so yeah, interesting responses!!

:)

milloman

Member +
and if its slow, who cares anyway???
its not all about speed!

If whats slow, the vectra?

I know i completely agree with u dude, speed isn't everything... my point was that she poked at all things... speed, and nothing else! had she've said "and i can cruise over speed bumps at 30" i'd have let her have that one, lol

milloman

Member +
She might be trying to flirt in a weird way.

I think you should sleep with her:)

Lol ok mate i'll give that a go and let you know how it goes :beer:

Just become single actually so i could do with a sexperiment all in the name of research!

Mickster

Member +
At my work i get slagged all the time.

1300cc pfft is that all?

Girly starlet!

Boy racers mobile!

That i can take, because i know its NONE of the above.

However when people say -

"Ah well mate, at least it gets you from A-B and it reliable"

Im like the hulk, i lose the plot, people look down at it like its just a wee run around. Thats what annoys me most!

But i would say yeh, Chill out, a TD04 Glanza wouldnt even need to worry about the VXR Vectra lol!

Mick

Idrees

Banned
Yeah I know what you mean dude. I can't say much when people tell me that anyway, mines on a 1.3 N/A! Pwns my mates Golf 1.9 TDI, Seat Leon 1.4 and Punto 1.4 though, so it's all good! :p

Last edited:

tom_hunt

Member +
Iv got an on going thing with some nob round my end. He is about 45 and looks a right fat twat! (not saying being fat is bad, just that he takes the piss) He drives a shitty old Laguna which I think said 3.0L V6 on it (could be wroung). He ALWAYS gets up my back end when he see's me. The first time was funny cuz I just left him for dead. Second time same again. Same kept happening but every time he drives passed me on the other side of the road he flashes and shouts "slow mo" out the window and continues to wave the wanker sign at me.

Just humour it mate. Its all you can do. I find it funny but still it very very annoying.

Tom

milloman

Member +
Lol! Love it! the green font and everythin, adds effect!!

Fortunately, i did chill out and humoured her and told her a date, time and location (my bed)...

Oh you gotta love the comments "1300cc is that all?" :D

milloman

Member +
Lol @ the Laguna legend...

What doesn't help my situation is that i have the Ogura CLONKING clutch (think that should be the technical name for it!) so everyone thinks your car's about to break down too!