Is it possible to fix my TMI as a FMI?

Sharv

Member +
Hi

Would like to know whether the above question is possible? If yes,shall i encounter any problems later on? Any photo will be much appreciated.

Cheers
Sharvin

GTti

Member +
As long as you can fabricate the hosing then it will be fine. If you're going to go to the effort of a FMIC setup then you may as well upgrade the intercooler as well though.

Can't believe I'm up, at work emergency. Joy of being on call!

Goodnight.

TRD-TAZZ

Member +
Gr8

I learned sometine new ... thanks Quit simple ....

We i heard from some bunch on clouns that .
The longger the pipes between the Turbo and Intake Manifold
the greater the lag ...

TMI has far less piping that FMI

I gess the real Question is " Do clouns talk the truth ? "

59bhp

Member +
I learned sometine new ... thanks Quit simple ....

We i heard from some bunch on clouns that .
The longger the pipes between the Turbo and Intake Manifold
the greater the lag ...

TMI has far less piping that FMI

I gess the real Question is " Do clouns talk the truth ? "

theoretically yes but in reality (in most cases) it makes little difference

starbogt

Member +
the original intercooler will still be restrictive but by putting it at the front you will be giving colder air to the engine so should counter act the negative sides ie bit more lag etc from longer pipework.

djurny

Member +
this works! i have it on my ep80.. you need (to do/buy) the following:
- reducing elbow 38mm -> 51mm (ebay: zena racing)
- elbow 51mm (have to check this one, maybe i used the stock bend from compressor outlet to tmic) (any silicone mfr)
- straight coupler 51mm (any silicone mfr)
- another straight coupler 51mm (any silicone mfr)
- straight coupler 60mm (any silicone mfr)
- some piping 51mm outer diameter (ebay)
- some piping 60mm outer diameter (ebay)
- some clamps
- cut the compressor outlet just after the 38mm -> 51mm elbow, keep the bulge to have some more grip for the 38mm -> 51mm reducing elbow!

when having all of these components lying in front of you, its pretty straightforward.. i will check if i can make some pics of my setup :)

having no bonnet vent, this setup almost completely removed the tmic heatsoak the engine experienced..

it does not look pretty, but it does the job :) also, i don't have enough space for a decent aftermarket fmic behind my stock front bumper..

Sharv

Member +
Hey Guys,

Thks a lot for ur advice which will help me a lot in deciding whether or not 2 go ahead with the project.In fact just wanna hv a try wiz my tmi coz i shall fix a proper tmi in the future...

ramses974,could u plz upload the pictures?:)

supernova

Member +
Yes it has been done before, I remember that glanza with the mad 206 bodykit had the stock cooler moved to the front. But if your gonna fabricate your own pipes, might as well do it for a cheap universal cooler or one off another car. They can be very cheap on ebay! The stock cooler is rather small!

Sharv

Member +
Which dimension fmi shoild i get? Will i get turbo lag if i use a bigger fmi compared to my tmi?

I would appreciate if any of u could post some fotos of a TMI fix as a FMI if available.

Cheers

GTti

Member +
Use a resonable size, I think something like the Autofixed Intercooler would be perfect. You won't have to brew a cup of tea whilst waiting for the thing to fill with air :p

You can search on this forum for one or someone can post a picture or dimensions up.

Found a picture... (Courtesy of Gee)

Last edited:

Toby@ToyTuning.com

Banned - DO NOT BUY FROM TOYTUNING
I personally wouldn't bother, either get a good TMIC or a cheap FMIC kit like the AB88, a lot less messing around. The stock top mount is a glorified oil cooler and is still fine for those running on the CT9 rest assured, their are a lot of myths surrounding them.

Relocating the stocker will give little or no benfit, what you gain in temperature reduction you will loose in turbo response due to the extra length of hoses needed. Just my opinion but I think your wasting time in the nicest way possible just leave it where it is! :)

T

MikeGlanzaV

Trader
I personally wouldn't bother, either get a good TMIC or a cheap FMIC kit like the AB88, a lot less messing around. The stock top mount is a glorified oil cooler and is still fine for those running on the CT9 rest assured, their are a lot of myths surrounding them.

Relocating the stocker will give little or no benfit, what you gain in temperature reduction you will loose in turbo response due to the extra length of hoses needed. Just my opinion but I think your wasting time in the nicest way possible just leave it where it is! :)

T

Toby - In your opinion if you are still runing a normal CT9 like myself albeit with full decat, exhaust, filter, iridiums, RRFPR, Walbro etc would you say the advantages of a FMIC are not enough to justify the cost? Even the £300ish required for an AB88 'cooler is beyond me at the moment but it was on my wish list! Currently I don't intend to change/hybridise the turbo but as Im running 0.9bar was wondering whether the extra heat being generated was meaning I was doing damage by no running a FMIC or better mani?

Sharv

Member +
Toby - In your opinion if you are still runing a normal CT9 like myself albeit with full decat, exhaust, filter, iridiums, RRFPR, Walbro etc would you say the advantages of a FMIC are not enough to justify the cost? Even the £300ish required for an AB88 'cooler is beyond me at the moment but it was on my wish list! Currently I don't intend to change/hybridise the turbo but as Im running 0.9bar was wondering whether the extra heat being generated was meaning I was doing damage by no running a FMIC or better mani?

Mike,just like u've mentioned above regarding ur car, am still running on a normal ct9 but wiz an uprated hks actuator,hks fcd,apexi air filter,ngk iridiums,fuel pressure regulator,new mani,exhaust,etc n vry soon apexi avcr electronic boost controller from Toby :) Am wondering whether to get a FMI or keep my TMI

GTti

Member +
Better cooling will help with temperatures when running a CT9 @ 1bar or there abouts. At higher pressures it is known that this isn't a very efficient turbo and will start generating a little heat, so every little will help. My custom FMIC setup cost around £250, so if you have the time and want to make the effort then design and fit one yourself.