**Keep Your Computer Safe and Secure**

Hows it going??
Thought I would create a Sticky with my recomendations for Anti-Virus, Anti-Spyware and generally keeping your computer safe.

Anti-Virus

Well this one is easy for me I only use and only trust one Anti-Virus I recomend and install it on customers computers everyday and best of all its COMPLETELY free. This Anti-Virus is one of the nest in the business and do offer a chargeable version with more features but you wont need it as the free one has all the key features. The Anti-Virus is called Avast and can be download from this URL:

http://www.avast.com/eng/avast_4_home.html

Download this and register to their site, its take 1 minute. They will send you a registration code in your email, enter this and your away. This code need re-new every 13 months but you will NEVER be charged.
This Anti-Virus is very user friendly e.g when it detects a virus when your downloading;) It pops-up on full screen and sets an alarm off quite loud.haha. It will tell you if its Maleware etc and give you an option to remove so its simple remove it and dont download again.
I would recomend running a through scan once every week, you can do this while still browsing the internet.
So I hereby announce every Friday as TGTT Virus Scan day.haha. So while your browsing TGTT run your scan:p
Some Virus are very vicious and can severly harm your computer, they can even DESTROY your hard drive, I dont mean something that a format would fix I mean destroy to a point where the hard drive needs to be replaced. They can destory the sectors on your hard drive, so keep your computer free of them!!

Anti-Spyware

Again there is only one I use and trust, this again is COMPLETELY free and excellent and what it does. This runs very through scans of the hard drive and all files to detect Spyware and never misses. The Anti-Spyware is called Super Anti-Spyware..haha. This can be found at the below URL:

http://www.superantispyware.com/

Download the Free Version for home users, again they have a version that is chargeable its upto you how secur you want to be but for the standard home user the free will will do everything you need. This software is also very user firendly and very easy to start a scan.
It is very important to keep your computer secure especially if you use online banking or buy things through internet websites. Doesnt matter if the internet site is secure and legit, if spywar is on your computer it can record every key type depend what virus you have. So basically it can go in and find your credit details then ay goodbye to your $$$...Simple as that.

I would also recomend investing in a Wireless Router must wireless router have pretty decent firewalls on them so the internet gets filter before it even gets to your computer. They are quite cheap and you could pick up a wireless router and wireless dongle for around £40 for a good one, if you already have a wireless card in your laptop then you can just buy the Wireless Router which you will get for around £30.
When you are settinsg up your wireless router it will give you an option for encryption (Wireless Key) set this to WPA-PSK with TKIP as the authenication, then make up your password this can be anything between 8-64 characters. This encryption is very hard to crack turst me I have tried the reason it is so hard is due to TKIP, this is known as 'Wrapping' basically what it does is it wraps your wireless encryption key and sends out false packets, the way to crack a wireless encryption is you take all the packets sent out and use software to crack the key as each packet will contain a piece of your security key hidden inside it. So with TKIP it send out false packets which then stop the person cracking your password as they have alot of false characters being sent out:p

**WARNING**

Do not buy,install,use Norton Anti-Virus on your computer. This is by far the WORST anti-virus I have seen, its an absolute joke and couldnt detect a Virus if you point it towards the Virus file itself. The number of times I have to uninstall this from customers computers (even though they paid for it) and installed Avast to clean it up the mess Norton has made is unreal. Not to mention it is by far the BIGGEST cause of incompatiability on computers in the world!!

Hope this helps you out!! Im going to try and keep this thread clean you please dont get offend if your post gets deleted off this....but all feedback welcome about what you think is the best;)
Christy

dac69er

Super Moderator
isnt the free AVG very good? whats it like compared to the one you have recommended?

are they both compatible with vista?

AVG is ok!! People use it with no problems but its just isnt my cup of tea. Well really its all down to opinion but I believe that Avast is more than likely the best in the business when it comes to free Anti-Virus software, I have tried them all.haha.
Yeah believe they are both compatiable with Vista, not sureabout AVG but Avast is:p
Christy

dac69er

Super Moderator
i currently use avg on vista. may have a look at these other packages. if they are free they cant hurt ;)

Dub-Se7en

Lifer
AVG is ok!! People use it with no problems but its just isnt my cup of tea. Well really its all down to opinion but I believe that Avast is more than likely the best in the business when it comes to free Anti-Virus software, I have tried them all.haha.
Yeah believe they are both compatiable with Vista, not sureabout AVG but Avast is:p
Christy

you see i'm the other way round, i think AVG is great and can't be dealing with Avast. however, i can't dispute that it is a good program, just does my head in with its silly interface and speech.

gwenstefni

Fresh Recruit
1. Install a firewall to secure your system. A firewall blocks connections on various ports to prevent hacking/cracking into your computer and can encrypt/decrypt traffic and proxy all traffic from the internet. Some internet modems (usually included with high-speed connection solutions) have one pre-installed. You can usually unblock ports at will to allow a certain program to access it. Some examples include:
* McAfee Firewall PLus
* ZoneAlarm Firewall
2. Install Anti-virus software to detect any viruses/spyware/malware hidden in your computer. These can eventually lead to system failure if not found quickly. Viruses/worms/[[spyware/malware will also slow down your computer significantly. Some examples of Antivirus software include:
* McAfee Antivirus
* Avast! Antivirus (Can be used on both Linux and Windows systems)
3. Regularly delete your history and cookies from your browser. Saving the history takes up a bit of space and may help to delete the files if they are not needed. (Keep your history from the previous day in case you need it and you don't think your system is in trouble). Most browsers will also give you the option to clear your HTTP cookies - text sent between the client and server to authenticate information about users.
4. Defragment your system to keep all piece of data in their respective locations on the hard disk. This allows for faster read access to the drive and the increase in performance of programs. Do this regularly, for example, once a week should be sufficient.
5. Keep sensitive data on an external medium not on your hard drive (a USB or floppy disk, for example). Hackers will not have access to these when they are not on the computer as your hard drive is easily accessible everytime your computer is running. Always encrypt the data if it is extremely important and if possible.
6. Regularly backup your computer in the case that a virus takes over your computer to the point you have no control over it and that you might have valuable information on it. You can do such on USB flash disks, CDs, DVDs and Tape devices.

Last edited by a moderator:

Fatman

Member +
I would actually recommend AGAINST installing a software firewall if you're behind an existing hardware based (e.g router) firewall on a broadband connection.

They interfere with the TCPIP stack and can cause more problems than they're worth. Keeping your antivirus up to date is far more important.