Launching Techniques & Discussion

Jay

Admin
Following on from our original thread, let's hear some tips and tricks from the more experienced launchers out there.

Any help you can give will be greatly received. We need all the help we can get! :D

Last edited by a moderator:

dan

Member +
indeed, planning on takin mine down the strip in sept for the first time :) dont wanna show myself up haha

Dan3SGTE

Member +
hmmm well i just bite off the line, once im rolling i just floor it hitting the limiter in an instant change to second hit the limiter in an instant again, bouncing off it till i reach a sufficient speed then into 3rd gear............

I literally cant rev it at all off the line as it wont go anywhere....

This tip isnt really a tip as most people aren't running this sort of power/torque........

Rory

Lifer
5k.......... :eek:, to me that is far to much on street rubber.
All tracks differ so its impossible to say what the best launching technique is,
Also everyones cars differs,
The weather also plays a vital role,
Theres to many variables, so you really cant write down what is best.

Either way, practise makes perfect ;)

Rory

EP82

Member +
At best I launch at 4-4.5K but thats in great weather with good tyres! ease the clutch off trying to avoid wheelspin and away you go!

Dan3SGTE

Member +
5k.......... :eek:, to me that is far to much on street rubber.
All tracks differ so its impossible to say what the best launching technique is,
Also everyones cars differs,
The weather also plays a vital role,
Theres to many variables, so you really cant write down what is best.

Either way, practise makes perfect ;)

Rory

well said....

that pretty much somes it up.... 5K on a stock GT i think is way to much... used to spin on the spot when my car was stock at 5K.... i say around 2.5-3K on stock GT with good weather on road rubber........ still easing the clutch......

dan

Member +
wicked, as you said tho practise make perfect :) hope this will be the first of many strip runs :)

goldenvtr

Member +
i launch on half throttle at around 3300rpm. i never put my foot down in 1st gear i just vary it up and down a little untill ive got a stready sqreetch coming from the tryes, gettin into 2nd gear as quickly as possable then not quite full throllte in 2nd untill 4500rpm then flat out the rest of the way up the strip. keeping right foot planted for 3rd to 4rth gearchange.

I can only say what i do, you have to get a feel for the track on the day, then you can adjust accordingly..

ragz

Member +
between 2700 - 3300 revs for me

gets me off the mark quik enough

must be the cuscu mz doing all the work

ragz

Member +
clunk what clunk

only time when i herd noise coming from that diff was when i had a gearbox leak(driveshaft seals) use redline lsd oils

other than that its fine

wicked diff abit harsh when it locks both the wheels tho

goldenvtr

Member +
Im using solkolene lsd oil. i think the diff in my box is a tracday diff.
Its the 2nd one whats clunked upon slow cornering,
this ones not as bad as the other one i had though,

ragz

Member +
how can you tell if its a trackday diff dint know slow cornering can effect the diff
what make is it n which other ones have you had
i feel it helps during cornering aswell

anyone had any experience with a quiafe diff aswell as cusco mz
wanna know how the quaife performs compared to the mz

goldenvtr

Member +
Both times i bough a gearbox with an aftermarket LSD fitted. my mate olly has a quaffe and he says you can tell its there untill you floor it then its amazing.

With mine when your not accellarating round a corner(as in the diff is locked) it clucnks as though its not sure whether to lock the wheels or not - if you know what i mean

ragz

Member +
i know what u mean its tries to lock up and straighten the wheels
hey but what great things they are eh

starbogt

Member +
I was always told it goes on where your torque is strongest which with my car would be at around 3100rpm and balance the clutch out until the car is moving quick enough for 2nd it all depends on the engine and turbo you're using.. Personally I can't wait to see Dan Vs 3sgte just to see the different techniques for launching both cars with completely different engines.

alfradio

Member +
Anything under 3500 RPM off the line and TERCEL1 boggs down... ya
need a little wheel spin to keep the RPM from falling off when the light turns
green.... Just my opinion!

Click HERE to hop on board and see how I do it...

Last edited:

riko666

Member +
good going for an old man :p and Alf, take it as you will, you sound NOTHING like I thought you would...thought you'd have a slight latin accent