Matt Black Action!

lingl9z

Member +
In a couple of weeks im matt blacking my car as its current paints a bit shabby.

Few things i'd like to know

1.Do i have to totaly remove the paint or can i just key up the whole of the paint work? to get it to stick?

2. i'll be hand painting the car in celulose primer (so it fills little dents and stuff) then rubbing it down again and then spraying it with a spray gun etc, will that work?

3.What do i use to protect the paint in order to keep it matt black rather than giving it a shine?

4. what viscosity should i use for the paint?

Cheers!

Aga

Member +
1.Do i have to totaly remove the paint or can i just key up the whole of the paint work? to get it to stick?

- just sand it down with some 320 wet, then spray it with primer, if you go down to bare metal or want a better surface...

2. i'll be hand painting the car in celulose primer (so it fills little dents and stuff) then rubbing it down again and then spraying it with a spray gun etc, will that work?

-hand painting? why not spray the primer too...

3.What do i use to protect the paint in order to keep it matt black rather than giving it a shine?

- a matte clearcoat

4. what viscosity should i use for the paint?

- you mean the amount of thinner? most likely you wont find old-school paint, only water soluble...those are thinned 10% with distilled water.

Cheers!

-:beer:

Derek

Lifer
I got my teg sprayed matt black and they had a laquer that didnt add shine but still protected the paint, just go ask a bodywork or paint shop where to get it.

Derek

Lifer
Ive no idea man a flat laquer as far as i can remeber.
DSC01555.jpg

DSC01559.jpg

DSC01563.jpg

DSC01564.jpg

There you go.:)

Pumba_GT

Member +
That's some nice plan there dude! My mate is spraying his car in Satin Black (more or less like Matte Black) and he is leaving the finished paint work without any clear coat. Will send you some pics if you like (he should be finished by another 4 weeks time).

lingl9z

Member +
That's some nice plan there dude! My mate is spraying his car in Satin Black (more or less like Matte Black) and he is leaving the finished paint work without any clear coat. Will send you some pics if you like (he should be finished by another 4 weeks time).

Yeah that'd be good pal :) trying to think of a decent colour to spray the wheels aswell something bright :D

Aga

Member +
satin black is basically semi-gloss

i would recommend against going flat black...its been done to death lately...

GTnomez

Member +
flat black is very similiar to matt black where the matt has slightly more of a gloss finish then the flat does

theres a small difference but in this case its the same thing

Last edited:

pallett

Fresh Recruit
I rubbed my car down with sandpaper, wiped all the dust off and sprayed the car straight over with satin black rattlecans, didnt prime it, didnt add any lacquer, i keep it genrally clean so been washed many times, only places little bits have flaked is right around the seals.
most recent pics
DSC_8541.jpg

DSC_8540.jpg

and some from when i first did it last september, been through every type of weather you can imagine, and still looks fine, and for £50 all in cant really argue.
coltpaintedmoretogether001.jpg

coltstarletfotoshoot029.jpg

coltpainted006.jpg

coltpainted020.jpg