My Secound Track Day

Trevor

Member +
I invested in some Toyo R888's for todays track day and the difference was unbelievable.The first track day was dry with good quality road tyres and today was very wet.My lap times today were quicker in the wet with the Toyo's than they were in the dry with road tyres.The difference in grip is unreal.I even kept the Hyabusa Seven replicas at bay on the bends.If your going on track its well worth investing in proper track tyres.Only two minor spin offs in pouring rain so im well pleased.

Gee

Member +
Not tried them yet, but next time I go on track will have some fitted for definately.

Just need to sort my oil leak and fit my oil cooler and I'll be more or less ready!

Trevor

Member +
Track Days

I just wish I had started doing them years ago.I'm loving it but I have a bit of trouble getting out of the car after the sessions.Too many knocks over the years.Just need to get some boost sorted and then it will be even more crack.Thats this winters project for me.

Chris@CCM

Member +
I just wish I had started doing them years ago.I'm loving it but I have a bit of trouble getting out of the car after the sessions.Too many knocks over the years.Just need to get some boost sorted and then it will be even more crack.Thats this winters project for me.
good job mate r888s are some tyres i never even new it was on or i woulda took a run up

Iain@CRD

Lifer
You've boosted my confidence to buy them now Trevor, always been warey of buying semi slicks and using them in the wet as my car is everyday. Ill deffinently be investing in these.

Iain

GTti

Member +
Nice to hear! The conditions were terrible today, I was watching the touring cars at Silverstone along with the Carrera Cup etc.

I need a good session in the wet once my car is running, you soon learn it's limits. I have some Yokos on my racing wheels but they'll be replaced with R888's at some point.

Kelly

Member +
Once you drive with r888's you wont wanna swap back to any other tyres ! Glad you had fun Trevor and that you liked them!

Dave.

Member +
Me, I've had a set (Yokohama Parada Spec II's) for the last 20,000 km and I couldn't really fault them :) Great grip (imo) in the wet and dry :)

Seem to be a good lasting tyre aswell :) Hubby stands by them too and is all he's run on the Glanza (first mod was a full set lol), an was the same in his ep82.

Dave

Mike@TD.co.uk

Registered Trader <a href="http://www.Tuning
good stuff Trevor, having only really scrubbed in the 888s on mine ready for Trax I can't wait to use them on the track! :D

hubbygt

Member +
beatz mate i couldnt fault the parada spec 2s,had them on both my starlets and they have good levels of grip in both the wet and in the dry

Dan3SGTE

Member +
can i ask how the semi slicks would grip well/better in the wet as they have alot less tread holes/lines for water dissipation, and obviously should aquaplane more?

This isnt a cheeky nor a cocky comment, just a question as im a bit puzzled?

Rory

Lifer
Dan,

There is more than enough channels for water. Standing water is another story, ie big puddles etc.

Its all down to the compound of the tyre also.

Dan3SGTE

Member +
Hi rory, yeah i see there are still enough tread holes but compare to a fast/road tire the do have a fair amount less, even visualy you can see.

Also ive heard many people in the past that use these tires say they are pretty bad in the wet compared to a normal fast/road tire...

Obviously trevor has had a different expereince, Im just wondering why? or how?

I havent yet had a play with these tyres so im not disagreeing.... This is more of a comparison between road tires and semi slicks in the wet..

Kelly

Member +
As above its standing water which is scary with the semi slicks. Normal wetness/rain isnt too bad. But just with the road conditions in UK especially some motorways which hold the rain water it can be pretty scary. In normal wetness ive found u can push them just as hard/normal as you would with eagle f1's or so.

Kelly

Member +
Hey Kelly when you going to take that auto of your's out on the track ;)

Maybe at Silverstone this weekend dont know yet just depends if the manual is ok but not looking good :(

But im not confortable in doing so, id rather wait until i have some gauges to keep an eye on the temps etc.

Deano

Banned
I'm going to eventually take my car around the track do 2 or 3 laps around pukekohe than watch the others lol

munday

Member +
As above, i have heard fro, people running R888s on trackdays that wet or dry they grip batter than any other performance tyre (eg eagle F1)

Now we need comparisons between all the different cut slicks to find the best performer :)