new dump valve!nice difference

Status
Not open for further replies.

gordonoleary

Fresh Recruit
i have just added a baileys twin trumpet and my gosh my car feels way faster:gt-smilie:
nice difference for the small money it cost,i notice alot more wheelspin tho
best christmas present ever!!

gordonoleary

Fresh Recruit
not a big difference but definatly has added a few bhp maybe 5 bhp?my mates have starlets and galanza v and it was first mod all has done and they have all noticed a difference in performance:) im well happy,great having a starlet for the 19th birthday,not many can say that

dac69er

Super Moderator
if you got 5bhp you wouldnt notice it.

only way it would make a difference is if the old one was leaking.

gordonoleary

Fresh Recruit
i fitted a fcd too but im not sure if that makes any difference in power?it was just to stop me hitting fuel cut all the time,i have it set at 8 is that ok?

TurboDave

Member +
Gordon,

There was a standard dump valve on your starlet doing exactly the same job as your new Bailey BOV.

But the Bailey BOV dumps the air (Left over when the Throttle Body butterfly closes) out into the atmosphere and makes the phsss noise as it does it where as the standard one dumps this air back into the intake system.

BOV's do not give you more power unless in the unlikley event that your standard BOV was leaking boost under pressure. It is more than likely just the wetter weather and some placebo which has caused the percieved increase in power.

This is your first post so I hope everyone doesnt rip into you. Every person starts off somewhere and if you are prepared to learn by reading information on this site then you will start to pick things up very quickly.

:)

Dave

gordonoleary

Fresh Recruit
Gordon,

There was a standard dump valve on your starlet doing exactly the same job as your new Bailey BOV.

But the Bailey BOV dumps the air (Left over when the Throttle Body butterfly closes) out into the atmosphere and makes the phsss noise as it does it where as the standard one dumps this air back into the intake system.

BOV's do not give you more power unless in the unlikley event that your standard BOV was leaking boost under pressure. It is more than likely just the wetter weather and some placebo which has caused the percieved increase in power.

This is your first post so I hope everyone doesnt rip into you. Every person starts off somewhere and if you are prepared to learn by reading information on this site then you will start to pick things up very quickly.

Dave
thanks mate i sort of understand you:)

Franza1

Supermoderator & Area Reps Manager
Gordon,

Dave

Well said Dave,

As for everyone else please be more understanding, Some people do not possess the knowledge that you do and try and explain as Dave did so well, instead of being a know it all and ripping on the lad in his first post, We try to be welcoming around here, so please if you have nothing nice to say or informative please don't say anything at all.

Stig

Member +
lol..yeh i agree!! i got ripped like nothing right when i first posted things up like...'what is and turbo and what is boost?' lol.

you haveth been warned young padawans....

Jay

Admin
Post pruned.

Let's stick to the facts and educate.

As Dave has explained Gordon, it's unlikely the performance increase has been the result of fitting a dumpvalve. You mentioned a FCD - can I ask why you have fitted this and what level of boost you are running?

steo800

Member +
i fitted a fcd too but im not sure if that makes any difference in power?it was just to stop me hitting fuel cut all the time,i have it set at 8 is that ok?

if its a hks fcd then no, its not ok.

you will need something to compensate the reduction in fuel entering the cylinder due to the fcd(assuming its hks).

the hks fcd tricks the ecu into thinking its boostin less than it actually is, so when you hit .8 bar, the ecu thinks your at, say, .7 bar, resulting in you running lean(and not hitting fuel cut), which is bad and could lead to engine failure.

cheapest way to sory this problem is get an adjustable fuel regulator and a gauge for it then bring it to a tuner to setup, and fit if your not confident enough to fiddle with the fuel system

a seach on "rrfpr" and "fcd" should be able to answer all your questions

gordonoleary

Fresh Recruit
Post pruned.

Let's stick to the facts and educate.

As Dave has explained Gordon, it's unlikely the performance increase has been the result of fitting a dumpvalve. You mentioned a FCD - can I ask why you have fitted this and what level of boost you are running?
1bar of boost and an fse regulator and a rx7 topmount,i read on here id need an fcd and my mates have their set at 8 is that the right setting?

Jay

Admin
if its a hks fcd then no, its not ok.

you will need something to compensate the reduction in fuel entering the cylinder due to the fcd(assuming its hks).

the hks fcd tricks the ecu into thinking its boostin less than it actually is, so when you hit .8 bar, the ecu thinks your at, say, .7 bar, resulting in you running lean(and not hitting fuel cut), which is bad and could lead to engine failure.

cheapest way to sory this problem is get an adjustable fuel regulator and a gauge for it then bring it to a tuner to setup, and fit if your not confident enough to fiddle with the fuel system

a seach on "rrfpr" and "fcd" should be able to answer all your questions

That would be my guess too, if you are running a leaner mix then you may be seeing more power than normal. This can be very bad and result in engine damage in a short space of time under the wrong circumstances.

If this sounds likely I'd suggest you get the fuelling checked before boosting under heavy load.

1bar of boost and an fse regulator and a rx7 topmount,i read on here id need an fcd and my mates have their set at 8 is that the right setting?

No two cars are the same. I've seen enough to vouch for that so don't just copycat everyone else. You run the risk of problems they could never see. Rule of the thumb is that anything in and around one bar of boost can blow things up.

Get it to a rolling road asap. There they will check your fuelling and be able to set your FCD correctly. You will also get a funky little graph showing your power figure (bonus!).

gordonoleary

Fresh Recruit
gutted cat,2.5 exhaust and a manifold makes up the other bits,thats everything on the car apart from the toms(?) boost gauge,is it ok?do i need anythink else?

GT-TD04

Supermoderator
gutted cat,2.5 exhaust and a manifold makes up the other bits,thats everything on the car apart from the toms(?) boost gauge,is it ok?do i need anythink else?

just a map on a rolling road and maybe a hks acuator for stronger boosthow did you adjust your boost by the way?
, just note if you had nothing on the car it would need nothing.

Basically the more you put on a car the more safety mods go with it.

But that sounds good,on a side note the gutted cat wont pass your mot

Get some pics up

gordonoleary

Fresh Recruit
just a map on a rolling road and maybe a hks acuator for stronger boosthow did you adjust your boost by the way?
, just note if you had nothing on the car it would need nothing.

Basically the more you put on a car the more safety mods go with it.

But that sounds good,on a side note the gutted cat wont pass your mot

Get some pics up
there is an adjustable actuator on the car i have been told,dunno if a hks or what though,i have a gutted cat but theres 4 catilitic converters here from my mates cars as they have proper pipes.my car seems to the most modified from all my mates,all they have are fcd and dumpvalves and one has an uprated actuator(he has pointed out that mine is adjustable)
ill get some pics up,i need a digital camera first

GT-TD04

Supermoderator
there is an adjustable actuator on the car i have been told,dunno if a hks or what though,i have a gutted cat but theres 4 catilitic converters here from my mates cars as they have proper pipes.my car seems to the most modified from all my mates,all they have are fcd and dumpvalves and one has an uprated actuator(he has pointed out that mine is adjustable)
ill get some pics up,i need a digital camera first

Ah right, well if its adjustable id say its hks because the Jam ones are pre set,and i don't know of any other makes.
ah thats grand so, yeah sure whack them up when ya can

And welcome to ToyotaGtTurbo.com and enjoy your stay:)

Status
Not open for further replies.